“FANTASTIC HOTEL - GREAT LOCATION - NO COMPLAINTS”

Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre
Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Sydney, Australia
“FANTASTIC HOTEL - GREAT LOCATION - NO COMPLAINTS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

Stayed here as part of a cosmos trip. First impression - out in the middle of nowhere with views of a nearby highway. However, staff were very friendly and polite and heard no road noise. It is quite an easy 10-15 minute walk into the heart of town. Explore a bit around the hotel and you will find little alleys that are full of restaurants/ cafes/ pubs etc;. we found these on our walk back from town. A little piazza type square at the back of the hotel also worth exploring. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Even though a bit sparse but who really cares. I am not going to spend all day in the hotel! Breakfast was fine. Would definately stay here again. No complaints and it also felt safe walking over near the river and around near the hotel. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ozveildancer
JTopping, Manager at Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Dear ozveildancer,

Thank you for your kind comments. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel is near to the end of the M2 motorway and many of our rooms look out over the docks and across to the Titanic quarter with views of the iconic Samson and Goliath crane, however it certainly is not in "the middle of nowhere". The hotel is located in the historic cathedral quarter, directly behind the cathedral itself and is in an area full of cobbled streets, with quirky shops and bars - definitely the most exciting part of Belfast at the moment!

Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to Belfast and the Encore soon.

Jonathan Topping

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Turkish first
Coleraine, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

Having read the reviews on this site I cant believe no one has complained about the price of drinks!!!! My wife and I stayed here for our wedding anniversary in July. This was our 3rd visit to the hotel in 4 years and I must say the most dissapointing. We booked an executive suite ----total rip off! same as every other room and with only 1 pair of bedroom slippers and 1 dressing gown for 2 people?? the complimentary snacks consisted of 1 x 250ml bottle of still water and 1 x small box of pringles like you would get from a vending machine. and even these were not replenished for our second night. They have also done away with the free car park at the rear so was a load of hassle as the streets are crawling with traffic wardens. and most disgusting is the rip off bar. we ordered a pint of beer and a glass of wine and were charged £10.30. We thought the bar staff had made a mistake but after looking at our reciept we realised that the place was an absolute rip off £3.80 for a pint and £6.50 for a glass of wine. we should have guessed as we were the only people at the bar!!! we got the same drinks in a beatiful restaurant called nandos for only £7.20 and a bottle of wine there is only £11. overall a very dissapointing experience especially as we were returning guests.

Room Tip: don't book or pay for an executive room as it is the exact same room except they charge you an e...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank baldy1230
Dear baldy1230,

Thank you for your comments. As the hotel has been open for just over 2 years and with your 3 stays during that period, I'm sure you are well aware that the prices in our bar have not significantly increased since opening. A pint of beer is a similar price in all the local bars as we do constant competitor checks to ensure that we are not overcharging ( or undercharging! ). Glasses of wine range in price from £3.95 up to £7.95 dependant not only on the price and quality of wine consumed, but also on whether a large or small glass is chosen. The options for the wine choices are all freely available on our wine list which is visible on the bar.

As a returning guest, I hope I can welcome you back to the Encore soon.

Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

If you are looking for a minimal hotel, with few if any amenities, this fits the bill. I can't say it was a negative experience, but it was very European - small room, small bathroom. The bare wood floors were pretty cold and uninviting to me. Additionally, the bathroom is a "wet room" so be prepared to be standing in water while you do anything in the mirror, after you have showered. For those who don't know what a "wet room" is, there is no door or curtain on the shower and the water carries out to the entire bathroom floor. It eventually goes down the shower drain, but ugh. Room service is very slow. Don't count on a full buffet breakfast either - if the hotel is not full enough, they only serve continental.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Christine M
Dear Chrisitine M,

Thank you for your comments. Despite your negative rating of the hotel, I read in your comments that it wasn't a negative experience. Although you mention that the hotel is a European style hotel, the Ramada Encore is an American brand with American brand standards, which includes the size of bedroom and bathroom.

I note your comment regarding breakfast. This is not true. A fully cooked breakfast is served every morning, regardless of the occupancy of the hotel. We do not believe in providing different levels of service dependant on no. of guests in the hotel.

I was disappointed to read your review of our hotel.

Regards,

belfast
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

Staying at the Ramada Encore for one night my husband and I decided to have our evening meal in the hotels SQ bar and grill-what a big mistake!! We were given a table at the back of the restaurant and forgotten about. After 20 minutes my husband had to go and ask a waitress if we could order a drink. She returned 5 minutes later so we asked her if she could take our food order. Waiting a further 20minutes our started was literally thrown in front of us by someone who we later found out was the restaurant manager-His people skills leave a lot to be desired! We didn't have any starter cutlery and my husband had to go to another table to get salt and pepper-Items you would assume would be on or brought to your table when an order is placed. My starter of salt & chilli prawns tasted of none of these! When our satarters were cleared away we waited another 25 minutes on our main course and when the manager brought it to us I told him the service was ridiculous-his answer to me very bluntly was "we're busy". All we wanted was on apology and an explanation. We will not be returning to this restaurant as the only good thing about it was the brilliant entertainment. Thanks to Wes and Marcus for keeping us entertained on our long horrendous evening!

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
JTopping, Manager at Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Dear caroldalzell,

Thank you for your comments. I'm disappointed that you felt the service in SQ Bar & Grill was inadequate. Since reading your comments I have spoken with my restaurant manager and a recruitment process has been started to ensure that adequate staff are on duty to cope with a busy service.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the entertainment from Wes and Marcus. Check Wes Grierson out on I tunes where you can download his album!

Thank you again for your comments.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

Me and my girlfriend stayed hear for 3 nights for my girlfriends birthday which she was giving a free drink of her choice from the bar because it was her birthday! the room was really clean and comfortable with a walk in shower!

the hotel was just outside the city centre and we never payed anymore than about 4 or 5 pounds in a taxi to get to some nice pubs and resturaunts in town!

we never ate in the hotel so can't say anything about that! but we spent some time in the bar at night where their was a really friendly guy called jon who made our stay while we were their as we had a good laugh with him as the bar is open 24/7 to all that stay in the hotel!

overall i would say this hotel is brilliant value for money friendly staff very friendly and well maintained clean hotel will definately be visiting again in the future :)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brian S
Dear briansteel,

Thank you for your kind comments. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and I hope I can welcome you back soon.

Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

The Ramada Encore is a fairly new hotel, so I think it is going through a few growing pains. We thought the staff was amazing - especially the bartender working the night of our stay (July 25th). There were a few small things that we didn't love, but they were all things that could easily be improved on to make this a fantastic place to stay.

One of the biggest surprises for us was that there was no parking plan. We couldn't figure out where to park, so left our car in the apartment/shopping complex lot and asked at the front desk. They explained that it was probably the safest option, although it's somewhat pricey, and we had no issue with leaving our car there. Hopefully in future they can work out a plan to save their guests a little bit.

The room was nice and spacious with a small couch and a good-sized bed. The duvet, however, had light staining on the over and under side and I did call the front desk to change that. I've never called about bedding before and the housekeeping person they sent right away was very nice about changing it, but I was surprised that it took a few tries to find an unmarked one. I think that's just a consequence of using all white linens, though.

Overall, the room was clean enough, but not as clean as we are used to. Nothing grimy or really dirty (except the remote), but it wasn't what we're accustomed to for that level of hotel.

The bed was comfortable and my husband slept well, but I found the bathroom fan a bit loud and hard to sleep through. If you are a light sleeper like me, you should ask them about turning that off. That's definitely an issue of personal preference, though.

The bar in the lobby is really nice and we had very good service. The continental breakfast in the morning is the usual, basic stuff and we both found it fine.

The hotel isn't right in the middle of downtown, but it's a short walk. The front desk staff were able to arrange a bus tour for us and even have the bus company pick us up in front of the hotel. That was a nice touch and we really enjoyed the tour.

Overall, a good hotel that could be great - especially if they keep the fantastic staff members they have.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear kdlToronto,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay, however disappointed that you didn't love our hotel! As I'm sure my reception team explained to you, the multi-story carpark attached to our hotel is managed by a separate company and we have no influence over the rates charged by them to our guests. This car park is however the cheapest major carpark in Belfast. I have passed your comment regarding the room cleanliness to my Head Housekeeper for action, as we have always been uncompromising in the cleanliness of our room and I was disappointed that you felt it wasn't what you are used to.

I hope I can welcome you back to Belfast and the Encore soon.

Carlow, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

Stayed here for weekend break deal, grt location but Rooms too warm, buffet breakfast a disgrace both mornings,we were down early,no milk set up, food limited, asked staff for milk waited 20 min for milk, one evening meal included in break, when we sat down for meal then we were told we could only spend 20 pounds each, which was difficult to get a three course meal from the menu they gave us,the dessert was defently cheap shop bought and put in the microwave to heat up no hotel parking so that's more money on you.

• Stayed April 2011
Dear sheebeen,

Thank you for taking the time to review you stay. I was disappointed to read that the food in our restaurant was disappointing. We take justifiable pride in the quality and freshness of our food. Everything in our kitchen is made from scratch, nothing is bought in pre made and our breakfast is freshly made with local produce. Our dinner inclusive packages do have a limit on what is included, however this does allow the diner to enjoy almost all of our menu, with the exception of some high priced items like fresh langoustines! It is entirely possible to have not only a 3 course meal, but indeed a 4 course meal without spending anything extra.

Thank you once again for your comments