“"Great Food" says my picky New Yorker Sister”
Review of Ginger Bistro

Ginger Bistro
Ranked #5 of 1,073 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Golden Mile
Denver, Colorado
“"Great Food" says my picky New Yorker Sister”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We were a bit down after taking a Black Taxi tour during our first visit to Belfast. The continuing separation of Protestants and Catholics with locked gates each night seemed bad. Well! Our waiter at the Ginger Bistro wasn't going to let that stop him. Openly gay, he shrugged off our comments and said that things have changed. He, raised Catholic, lives with his partner in the Protestant section. And he brings gaiety and lovely hospitality to his work every day! My sister had duck, called the 'duck starter pt' on my bill. She said it was the best she's ever had! I had a prawn salad so delicious it wiped the taste out of my mouth of the last meal I'd had. I had a Belfast lager and we each had a spectacular dessert - mine was apple crumble and hers was chocolate cake. But the neatest thing was that in a city that seems a bit uptight the people at the Ginger Bistro were friendly, relaxed, and welcoming. I give it my highest marks.

“Top marks for Ginger”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Went to Ginger last night with a couple of friends and my wife. Second time in the restaurant. Standard still fantastic. Pleasant and helpful servers, lovely atmosphere in the room, top quality food. Side dishes at fair prices and very tasty. I had a Tiger prawn starter and a fabulous lamb main course which came with a mini chorizo and black pudding shepherd's pie on top of red cabbage and green beans. Orange panacotta for desert was also memorable. Hake dish my wife had looked superb and a fussy eating friend was delighted with his steak and chips. Sometimes hard to get a table at Ginger and I can see why. Good work done here front and back of house. Strongly recommend.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Good, but a bit pricey”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Went recently with 2 friends - we had various squid, scallops and prawns starters, all about £8 or £9, but were very good. We all had steaks which were decent sized sirloins and cooked as we had asked for - the bourgignon type sauce with them wasn't very exciting, and we only got a bowl of chips, no vegetables - at £22 I thought this was a bit steep for a basic steak and chips. The wine list is good, had a particularly nice Malbec but again, at £23, I felt it was a bit over-priced. Service is excellent, they don't rush you at all, and the ambience in the restaurant is nicely buzzing and very relaxing. Would definitely go again but think there is better value to be had than the steak.

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Lovely Time at The Ginger Bistro”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We went to The Ginger Bistro last night for the first time and we will definitely be back. For starters we had the twice cooked duck and the asparagus tempura- both really delicious- there was nothing but the duck bone left on the plate. The asparagus came with a really nice light carrot and noodle salad, a great dressing a little bits of pineapple. I've never had anything like it before. The duck was crispy and really tasty.

For mains we had the pork belly which was really delicious and not too fatty and it came with an amazing mash and really good sausage. I don't normally go for pork in restaurants but this was excellent. My boyfriend had the chicken with chorizo and it was also really tasty. We got a side of chips and green beans, cooked to perfection. I really liked that the chips had skin on- the flavour was great. All the dishes were excellently presented as well. The taste of the food matched the look- both excellent. For dessert we had the creme brulée and the banana tarte tatin. The brulée was perfectly cooked and had a nice raspberry compote and the tatin came with delicious ice cream and crême anglaise. I cannot fault the food in any way.

I like to read Trip Advisor reviews before I go somewhere and I think some of the comments in the negative reviews are really harsh. The staff were very attentive but really genuine at the same time so it was never intrusive. Sometimes staff can feel fake but they seemed like a nice bunch who wanted us to have a really good experience. Our waiter was very pleasant and we had a laugh with him. I didn't think it was too crowded at all. It's definitely busy- but to me that's a good sign. And I didn't think it was overly noisy but I guess it depends on the crowd they have in and it's not really something they can control. We had the pre-theatre menu which had a lot of less expensive items than the a la carte but I wanted to eat from it- it's not like some places where you can tell that the early bird is a bit 'cheaper'- both menus were really good.

I will be recommending it!

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Soo Good - Best dessert ever!”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Ate here a few weeks ago and it was amazing! Great atmosphere, food and service!

I had the chicken liver and chorizo paté with brioche and candied walnuts and the chicken with merenguez sausage - both were delicious! Seriously good. My mum had the asparagus tempura to start which she raved about and the sea bass which was lovely too!

Then the dessert - Best dessert I have ever eaten!! We both had the poached pears with champagne jelly, creme anglaise and baby meringues. Beautiful combination of flavours..light but not too sweet...amazing.

Great value for money 3 courses for two people with glass of prosecco and coffees - under 60 quid.

I can't wait to go back! :)