“Romantic Restaurant with Gourmet Food”
Review of Ginger Bistro

Ginger Bistro
Ranked #5 of 1,070 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Golden Mile
Sarasota, Florida
“Romantic Restaurant with Gourmet Food”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is a charming restaurant with innovative cuisine and a selection of delicious beers and wines. The clientele was a mixture of Irish and international visitors. The prices were mid-level. Service was informed and welcoming.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Edward B

Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Recommended for a good evening meal”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were looking for an Italian restaurant but came across this place instead. A couple who were leaving it recommended it, saying it was "the best restaurant in town". So we took their advice. It's certainly very good, with an interesting menu, and the service was very good.

1 Thank lochgorm
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
“We couldn't decide!”
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

I thought Ginger was ludicrously expensive for a business lunch. My well done (sorry, I'm unrefined) steak was clearly deliberately sacrificed as a burnt offering to make a point, whereas my colleague thought it was the nicest meal he had ever eaten and I thought he was going to lick the plate. He asked for his steak medium rare and so it was. The main issue however was the price, which for two of us at lunchtime, with no alcohol or starters, was over £50. So my colleague, who thankfully paid, thought it was fabulous, whereas I thought the exact opposite. And I'm the one writing the review.....

2 Thank Local L
Armagh
“Excellent!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Ginger has become a well established fixture in the Belfast eating scene over the past few years. Located within easy walking distance of the Grand Opera House, the Ulster Hall and the Railway Station it is well positioned for those who travel up to the city for a night out and want an early pre theatre or concert meal.

I have eaten there regularly over the years and never been disappointed and when my wife and I called last week before going to a concert, it lived up fully to its reputation. As usual the place was pretty full. The atmosphere was friendly, informal and the staff were as welcoming and efficient without (without being in your face) as ever.

The food, while uncomplicated was perfectly cooked and presented. For a starter I had the Thai crab cakes. Unlike some places i could taste the fish which was not bulked out with potato or bread crumbs. It came with a delicious dip, which when I asked to take some home was given without hesitation. One remembers little gestures like that!

This was followed by confit of duck on a bed of red cabbage. The duck thigh was succulent and tasty and nicely complimented by the semi sweetness of the red cabbage. My wife had belly of pork which was very much to her liking. The meal was washed down by a very pleasant bottle of South African red. All in all a very pleasant start to the evening.

The proprietor ( Simon I think) has got the balance just right. Good food with quality ingredients in a relaxing informal atmosphere, and, very important, at a reasonable price.

Give it a try!

1 Thank JFCIreland
Letterkenny, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,063 helpful votes
“Ginger, it's a Humdinger.”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had never been to Ginger before so when friends of ours booked it I read the reviews and thought it was worth a visit. Apparantly it was voted best restaurant in 2011 and I now know why. Our reservation was for 8pm on Saturday and when we arrived the place was buzzing. You'd never think there was a recession on in Ginger. We got seated immediately and got top class service from our very friendly waiters [these guys were good]. I got the soup for a starter and the chicked dish as my main and found the food top notch. My only complaint would be that they only had Guinness of Carlsberg on draught so I had to opt for a Belfast Lager, which was a nice alternative. We spent an enjoyable couple of hours over our food and drink and all of us said that we would gladly return on our next visit to the city. We have been to many good restaurants in Belfast and do not know how we have missed this gem.

1 Thank letterkennycaint