“Better places to eat in Belfast.”

Malmaison Brasserie - Belfast
Ranked #278 of 1,113 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Golden Mile
Description: Set in an imposing historic building on Belfast’s central Victoria Street, Malmaison is an ultra contemporary, ultra chic, urban retreat. The team behind Malmaison know that hotels aren’t just a place for sleeping, which is why a lot of thought and bags of style have gone in to the resident Brasserie, a hot spot in its own right. With its modernist feel the dining room has hints of 30s deco in its attractive black and red interior. Curved booths and luxurious upholstery are joined by sleek wood and low lighting while service is friendly yet unobtrusive. Two menus – one the simple brasserie menu, the other home grown and local – celebrate the best of Ireland’s ingredients while offering food which appeals to all palates.
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Cuisine was nice but to be honest there's better places to eat in the city. Another point is the 10% service charge they put automatically on your bill, this should be by choice in my opinion.

1  Thank royst1968

Reviewed January 26, 2013

As a family we don't go into Belfast that often to eat but when we do our restaurant of choice is always Malmaison. And as part of the 'taking back the city' initiative it seemed like a good time to support such a worthwhile endeavour. We had a couple of vouchers that my daughter had received previously and we used them to their full advantage. One was for cocktails and the other for food (January only I think) so we used one in the bar beforehand and the second to halve the bill after the meal. This was a tremendous saving as we enjoyed four courses over the evening. As for the food it was, as usual, delicious and of very high quality. The menu suited all our tastes - one vegetarian, one seafood lover (me), one meat-eater and an all-rounder. The luxury seafood pie was packed with great chunks of fish enveloped in a nicely flavoured sauce, not overly seasoned. I didn't need any side orders and in fact, couldn't manage to finish the whole pie as it was so filling. My daughter's vegetarian option of a type of crepe seemed to go down well too. We had pre-booked our favourite table at the back of the restaurant as it is more private than the others and has the additional luxury of a strip gas- flamed fire which adds a lovely atmosphere. If you plan to eat at Mal Maison and want a particular table then it's obviously best to book well in advance to avoid disappointment. The decor of the restaurnat used to be quite dark and a bit gloomy but they've brightened it up with a more nautical theme which I prefer (when you pay a visit to the toilets however it's still a bit like visiting a cave but I suppose this is very much in keeping with the general Malmaison theme. There is also piped comedy coming through the speakers which wouldn't be to my taste exactly but how long are you in a loo for?!) And the main reason we choose Malmaison when we eat in Belfast? Their Maitre D', Paul, Is one of the most pleasant young men you could want to meet. He is both polite and knowledgeabable and always consistent in his manner towards his customers; a trait that is sometimes lacking these days even in the so-called classiest of restaurants. I should mention that the other staff, although busy, seemed attentive and efficient in their work also. So all in all we have had, once again, a great dining experience in Malmaison and I imagine that there will be more offers on throughout February as well to entice more people back into the city. We'll certainly return rather sooner than we did the last time. Bon appetite!

Reviewed December 13, 2012

6 of us have just dined there.

The waiter had forgotten to order the side dishes for 2 of us and by the time it came our dishes were cold, any everyone else was almost finished. We got a small "sorry, that was my fault" from the waiter, but he still charged for the sides and stuck the full service charge on the bill.

The food was fine, but lacking in vegetables, it seems 3 leaves on your plate substitutes as 1 of your five a day.

I had been looking forward to it as we had been 2 years ago and it was a great night with Christmas music, crackers and cheer. Unfortunately Scrooge must now be in charge as the only indication of Christmas was a tree at the door, no spirit at all!

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Six of us went here for dinner - we were very lucky to get a table at short notice - great service, beautiful dining room and we were looked after so well by our member of waiting staff, Sharon, all evening. Would confidently recommend Malmaison Brasserie for dinner with good food and great service.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I recently had a great night out in Malmaison with a few friends. We called in for dinner and drinks and I could not fault a thing. Service was great, setting was wonderful, food was absolutely amazing!! And not too pricey as I had thought it maybe would be. My dinner was served in the pot it was cooked in which is a great little touch to the meal. The desserts were also to die for. The wine was great and the lighting was just right. Will be back.