“Poor Food and Even Worse Service”
Review of Bengal Brasserie

Bengal Brasserie
Ranked #110 of 1,051 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Newry, United Kingdom
“Poor Food and Even Worse Service”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We called on Saturday at lunchtime we arrived at 13;00 only to be immediately told by the waiter that they closed at 14:00! We sat down, ordered - when the food arrived the madras my husband ordered was highly coloured with artificial colours and had a lot of powdered chili used in it. Definitely not a "traditional" madras sauce.
When the waiter was asked about this he said this was "how they made it here". My bhuna was of the same ilk. I would have throught both dishes started life out in a factory somewhere in mid England and had been shipped over in a jar. Very disappointing as I remember this place when located further down the road and it was once very good. I would not make my way back there. The food was bad and the service was worse. I would not recomend. Better places to go in the city.

2 Thank sparky-parrot

Lisburn
“Excellent venue”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We have eaten at the Bengal many times. Always a very high standard of food and rxcellent service. Excellent variety on menu and good fast service. Modern restaurant. Highly recomended

Belfast, United Kingdom
“A Very Slow Service Followed by a Dreadful Meal.”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We booked a table for four and as it was the Saturday before Christmas we did expect it to be busy. However, it was nearly two hours before our food arrived and boy was I disappointed. My meal was tasteless. After such a long wait I was very disappointed. In fairness, we were offered free drinks and a replacement meal but as it was very late and I really didn't want to wait even longer for the fresh food and nor did I want another drink we declined the offer. I found the staff were good until I went to pay the bill. The young lady who was taking payment was not suitable for the role she was performing. How else can I put it without sounding rude. The couple we were with are big fans of this place but as this is the third time I have gone with them, at their suggestion I must add, it will be my last. There are many other Indian restaurants to to go to.

2 Thank Alexander M
“Best Indian in Belfast”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I have never had an even slightly disagreeable experience in the Bengal Brasserie. The restaurant is modern and clean, the toilets are clean. The staff are attentive without hovering . The food is fabulous. Try the tapas for two or more to start and the Chicken Sag is lush. The wine list is reasonable and it is a comfortable venue for couples families or groups, overall excellent.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank aparttimewriter
“Not what it once was”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Since moving from its original location at the pre-renovated Ormeau Bakery site BB has become a rather run of the mill restaurant. Little about the place offends, but it has little to recommend it either. I believe the old site couls accommodate more customers. It had a very relaxed and friendly air to it. The staff catered for large groups and were happy to serve food at a pace that suited the group. That atmosphere and approach is missing from the current premises. For a relaxed Indian dining experience I recommend Cafe Naz, located nearby

Visited December 2012