“Surprising find”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Murphy Browns

Murphy Browns
Ranked #236 of 1,043 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Irish, European, British
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cardiff
“Surprising find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Staying in a hotel not far away, we used TA for somewhere close with good reviews. Rang this place & although they were busy they said they could fit us in if we went then & only stayed an hour. We decided to go & considering how busy they were, we had excellent service & the food was good. Just a shame we didn't realise it was 'bring your own'.

• Czech first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Always a good choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

I live fairly nearby to Murphy Brown's and have to say I always really enjoy it. The staff are without-fail happy to help, and that includes trying to find you a table when the place is jam-packed (though I'd advise booking ahead if you plan on going nearly any time at the weekend)!
The last time turned out to be a fly-in visit, as we thought we were going to be late for a play, so only had time for a main, though I probably would have wolfed my beef stroganoff down anyway as it was divine.
I mostly go for breakfast though which is always enjoyable. There's lots of little things that make it a really nice place to go to, like offering a big jug of dilute juice if two of you are having it, heated teacups or your croissant coming pre-cut, which all sound a bit silly but are nice touches.
The menu is reasonable and quite varied, and the service is great even when it's very busy.

• Visited January 2014
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Brill with terrible customer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Amazing restaurant and the food was delicious however there was an extremely rude customer who was very rude to a member of staff which disrupted the whole restaurant. He was highly aggressive and after the member of staff tried to reason with him several times, he got even more aggressive, it was completely uncalled for as I know from experience, the staff are amazing. The lady named Donna was incredible to serve us in everything we needed 100%.
People like this customer should not be allowed in restaurants like this, not to mention his terrible comb over!!

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Clara S
“Surpriingly excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

Living within about a mile of Murphy's it's not a place we would normally go to for a meal (feeling that we wouldn't really have been out!) and I don't mean to be condescending when I say I wasn't expecting an awful lot from a restaurant on the Cavehill Road in Belfast!

However due to personal constrictions we went for the Early Bird menu a couple of weeks on the "spur of the moment". As it said on the website this changed weekly and we couldn't get through on the phone we called first to check (around 4.00p.m.) that the menu advertised was the correct one (full marks for keeping the site up to date).

I was rather sceptical when we were told we would really need to book but did so and was astonished that the place was jam packed by about 600p.m.

There was a short choice of meals in all courses but I would have to say these catered for most tastes.

Breaded mushrooms with a salad garnish and aoli was very nice as was garlic bread with cheese topping.

I then had a really tasty pan fried liver and bacon on a bed of mash and took a side portion of vegetables which turned out to be broccoli and cauliflower but these were nicely cooked. There was a supplement of £2.95 for a steak but this is normal on most menus now and it was served as requested and with crispy chunky chips.

We didn't bother with sweets - at £7 for 2 courses and £9 for three courses (plus the steak supplement) this was very competitively priced and well worth the money.

The service was also excellent.

I can only say this was a real eye opener and we all thoroughly enjoyed it - you wouldn't expect haute cuisine but for what it was this was hard to beat.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank northbelfatfoodrover
“Absolute Dissaster!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

My wife daughter and I visited Murphy's on Christmas eve afternoon. This was my first visit and was looking forward to it as both my wife and daughter had been there several times and enjoyed their meals. On entering I noticed children at the table near the door and their meals of fish and chips looked lovely with both fish and chips golden brown. My wife and daughter both ordered lasagne and chips and I went for the burger and chips but after thinking about the kids fish again I changed my mind and the waitress was happy to change the order. A short while later the pleasant waiter brought our food and my daughter immediately asked why the chips were burnt almost black and were not really chips at all but seemed to be the left over chrispy "ends" that had been cleaned from the gravy after many fry's. The waiter said that the chips were finished and offered garlic frys as a replacement which both my wife and daughter accepted before burnt bits had been taken off his tray. I foolishly carried on with the "Chips ?" which to be honest tasted awful and I had the burnt taste in my mouth for several hours afterwards. My fish was the smallest fish I have ever had anywhere and should have been sent back as well. Although the fish and batter was fresh and very nice I said to my wife are they having a laugh. The fish was a triangle shape three inches or at most four inches wide narrowing down into a point four inches long. I could actually see were the fish fillet had been cut I presumed in half or maybe less. I take it that the fish had finished as well as I cannot believe a restaurant would offer what I got as standard for £6.95. I would much rather the waiter or chef would have said that fish and the chips were off the menu than offer the rubbish they gave to me.
Very very disappointing.