“lovely fresh pasta”

Ranked #69 of 1,055 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Enjoy great food the Brooklyn way at Brooklyn SQ. Situated in the heart of Belfast’s Shaftesbury Square, the giant neon sign is where you’ll find the most delicious combination of American Italian food. From stateside burgers and ribs to authentic pizzas and pastas Brooklyn SQ is fully licensed and is ideally situated to nearby nightlife and cinema locations for party revellers, families or parties to enjoy seven days a week.
belfast
“lovely fresh pasta”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

visited this restaurant last week , called in to escape the protests and rush hour, was totally starving before i went in and content when i left, my friend and i both had pasta dishes and a pizza bread to share , she had the carbonara and i had a lobser and prawn linguini , both were exceptional and although we only eat half of eat we would both go back for them alone, only reason i gave a 4 star was a bit of lack of atmosphere but then again it was early evening and im sure their xmas parties were due in later and i had see large tables had been set up

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Service Charges Galore!!!”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Had our work Christmas Party in Speranza's last Friday. Having ordered a beer whilst waiting for our table I was charged 45 pence to have it brought about 6 feet to the waiting area. Same deal during the meal - a 90p charge for having 2 beers brought to the table!! As there was only one draught beer available at £4.50 a pint it was an expensive couple of drinks. To rub salt in the wounds they proceeded to charge for tea and coffee which are routinely included in the price of Chirstmas Dinner anywhere else. Times are hard but this just smacks of desperation to squeeze every penny out of punters. Food not bad but additional charges left a sour taste.

darrenmanu, Owner at Brooklyn SQ, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
I was very disappointed to read that your visit to Speranza had "left a sour taste"

Christmas 2012 is our 30th festive season serving the people of Belfast/NI and we take our customers comments very seriously!

Regarding our optional 10% service charge. As is the industry "norm" in NI, we add a 10% service charge to all large groups. This is 100% optional and is/would have been removed instantly (& without question) had you or any of your group felt that the service on the night was sub-standard/slow/unfriendly etc.

If you still feel that the service was substandard, please feel free to contact me and I will refund the service charge immediately!

When designing/pricing this years Xmas menu, we reviewed our previous 3 years menus (and those of our competitors) and decided to keep the price (more or less) the same as previous years. In fact, despite the rise in the cost of meat/utilities/insurance/dairy/oil etc, our menu is actually £1 cheaper than 2010!

We analysed the amount of coffee/tea ordered by tables on the Xmas menu in previous years and found that less than 2 people in 10 who ordered from the Xmas dinner menu actually ordered tea or coffee with/after their desserts. Thus it seemed fairer and more logical to reduce the price of the Xmas menu and only charge for the coffees/teas that were required.

The (restaurant) industry average for Peroni on draught is £4.40-4.60 per pint and we are priced @ £4.50.

I take great pride in my restaurant and will do anything (within reason) to make my customers happy. I thank you for taking the time to share your opinion and I hope that my reply answers some of your questions

Darren Fanning
Proprietor
Speranza
Armagh, Ireland
“Excellent Early Evening Meal”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We went for the 'early bird' menu for four and it was very good. To be ultra-critical, perhaps the service could have been a little quicker at times but that's a minor complaint.

Definitely recommended.

• Visited December 2012
“Nice food but the service could be better”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We'd been on a day trip to Dublin and went out for dinner on a Saturday night at 10pm so we weren't too hopeful about getting served anyway but when we got to Speranza, the waiter said he was just going to set up a table for us then he'd be right with us.

Anyway I think we got forgotten because after about 10/15 minutes another waiter came over and seated us. There were a couple of empty tables so I don't think he did spend the time cleaning a table for us. As we'd been looking for the menu we were ready to order but the staff member who seated us disappeared straight away. Not ideal. There's a little button to call the staff over so we had to use that.

Once we ordered the food didn't take too long and was really lovely.

To start I had calamari which was nice and my boyfriend had meatballs. For main, he had carbonara and I had a mushroom pizza. All of the food was delicious but it was a shame the service let it down a bit. I do understand it was Saturday night and there were a fair few groups in, but with the amount of staff they have it wasn't great to get forgotten. I would still recommend it based on the food though.

Antrim, United Kingdom
“Best Italian in Belfast!!”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Myself and my boyfriend went to this restuarant last night and were beyond impressed. The decor was lovely and there were many different places to sit based on your preference: near to the window looking out on shaftsbury square, nearer to the bar or at the back of the restaurant if you wanted to a bit more secluded. We were shown to our table and greeted by a friendly but now overbearing waitress. The menu was exceptional and we will definitely be going back to try othet things on the menu. Our food was brough to us quickly despite it being relatively busy for 5pm on a sunday night and it was fabulous. The bruschetta was incredible as was the lobster pasta. The bill did not make us question why we had chosen to visit Speranza and we will definitely be back! Incredible!

1 Thank laurenericab