“Atmospheric Food Heaven”

The Barking Dog Restaurant Belfast
Reserve with OpenTable
The Barking Dog Restaurant Belfast is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 1,129 Restaurants in Belfast
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This was just a fantastic dining experience from start to finish... The staff from the moment we entered were professional, polite and extremely knowledgeable about all aspects of the menu.

The atmosphere was excellent throughout and the live music was a real treat especially for an afternoon luncheon. All round there was a real friendly, warm buzz to the place.

Onto the food... Really don't have the expansive vocabulary to describe just how amazing the food was. We started of with some beautiful Tapas which was elegant and supremely tasty.

This only wetted our appetite for the main course and we weren't disappointed by and between the shin of beef burger and the roasted sirloin that we were served we would be hard pushed to choose which was more awesome... All cooked to perfection with such freshness in the ingredients leaving a taste explosion on the palate.

We were pretty full after all that but down to the sheer quality of the first 2 courses we stretched to a desert in the form of a sticky toffee pudding and what a great call that was...

Overall this was one of the best meals I have had and certainly in 2013. This was a first visit and it definitely won't be the last.

Couldn't recommend enough.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,323)

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Had the best burger I've ever had in my life here, the service was excellent and the food was better!

Reviewed December 28, 2013

What a lovely restaurant with a lovely atmosphere! The food from the tapas starters to the dessert were exceptional. There were a group of four of us and we were all extremely pleased with the food and service at this lovely place. The ambience was so warm and staff couldn't do enough to please you whilst not being in your face but just genuinely helpful. Will be going back as soon as I can! Oh, and you must try the Passion Fruit & Chocolate Tart, I'm not a pudding person but this was delightful!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

My partner and I were well cared for from the moment we entered the establishment. Nick, our outstanding waiter, quickly showed us to our seats - quaint mismatched chairs in a sea of dim candle light and plainly decorated exposed brick. I started with the butternut and parmesan soup. The color was lovely, but it was quite bland which I easily remedied with a few bits of butter I added meant for the accompanying brown bread. It wasn't until the soup was nearly finished that I discovered the cheese hiding at the bottom of the bowl. Here was the dairy I was looking for! I only wish I had found it earlier. My partner had three tapas - the spare ribs, mushroom aranchini and black pudding. The ribs were a hit with a crunchy exterior yet melt-in-your-mouth element for which slow cooked beef is known. The shaved carrots atop it matched the sweetness and texture of the meat. The black pudding was too wet which prevented it from being appropriately crispy when fried, but the applesauce was lovely. The rice in the aranchini was overcooked with little flavor of mushroom, resulting in another overly heavy and wet fried ball.
Our mains were slightly more peculiar. I had the celeriac and truffle ravioli with braised lamb shoulder. The meat was very tender and well-prepared, as were the raviolis themselves. The main fault of this dish was the overpowering element of mint, which I understand is a classic pairing with lamb, but simply didn't work with the other earthy flavours of the dish. In my opinion, sage would have been much more complimentary. That didn't stop me from nearly licking the remaining jus from my bowl. My partner found the steak sandwich mostly lovely except for the sirloin itself; it seemed that the meat had been stewed, or brought to temperature in a cold pan (or - God forbid cooked in a waterbath), instead of fried on high heat. It was more medium-well than rare, as well as lacking a proper
browned seal and tenderness. We opted to forego dessert as we had two election boxes worth of chocolate waiting in the car.
The attentive and engaging service we received from Nick and the other servers more than made up for the culinary blunders, but at the end of the day, we came for the food and did not leave wholly satisfied.

1  Thank MrHuskyPrime
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We went at very short notice( for the restaurant) and had an exceptional meal. The staff could not have been more welcoming and we were given a nice table in the centre of the restaurant. All three of us were impressed with our starters and the main course I'd chosen from the specials was hake done with chorizo, it was exceptional; well thought out for texture and flavour. The beef and lamb also received rave reviews.

1  Thank CandSF