“Amazing food great atmosphere”

The Barking Dog Restaurant Belfast
Ranked #51 of 1,196 Restaurants in Belfast
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Been to this little gem many times never fails to disappoint. Menu just right, staff informative and down to earth. Best burger of my life! Bravo yet again BD

Write a ReviewReviews (1,423)

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I was really looking forward to eating at The Barking Dog based on recommendations and reviews, in particular the amazing service and friendliness of the staff.

What a disappointment. In the many years, I have eaten out in good and not so good restaurants it was the first time I actually felt intimidated by a waitress. The service was dire from start to finish, There were two male servers who at least seemed user friendly but unfortunately were not waiting our area. It was a mish mash service , The rotund female server broke every basic serving rule (perhaps the first being she was not a people person). There was no friendly introduction, no banter, she even stretched across my friend to serve my coffee. She even corrected (?) my friend when he ordered monk's tail barking back monks fish{ She asked us if we wanted to see the dessert menu, which we did, whereby she duly served other tables and never came back to us. Next time she appeared with coffees (ordered from another waitress) and 10 minutes later we had to ask where our desserts were.

What a let down of an evening. I had made the reservation two weeks prior and was really looking forward to it. Sure the rustic charm and romantic candlelit were warming at first and the food small portions but marvellously cooked and presented, starters done and we could not wait to leave. Thankfully the waitress did not even bother to ask us if we had enjoyed our evening.

3  Thank AudreyT T
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Although I liked the food the staff really made the experience for me. Very friendly, natural, and helpful waitress and charming cocktail staff. I went for the truffled gnocchi with pearl onions, peas and artichokes, which was very tasty although would definitely have benefited from a sauce to tie it all together. Friends opted for the goat pie and scampi and were extremely happy with their dishes. Great ambience if a little dark, would be the ideal venue for birthdays or christmas parties. Bit pricey, but everything's made fresh and you can tell.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

The food and service at the barking dog is amazing. The staff are really friendly. The food is unbelievably delicious. I had salt and pepper scampi which was so fresh and tasty. The tapas are also very nice. I will definitely revisit this restaurant next time I am in Belfast

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Good service, great staff, great food and atmosphere. Price was very cheap for this quality. It is tad too dark maybe slightly larger font on menus would help us ole fawk. Also a cut of steak around £20 would be a good addition to the menu. Will be back .