“afternoon tea”

Ranked #61 of 1,107 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Our multi award-winning bar with staff whose knowledge of all things “imbibable” is every bit as encyclopedic as our highly renowned drinks selection. This beautiful room has many wonderful original architectural features. Antique Baccarat chandeliers and a stunning antique fire complement the design. The Bar at The Merchant serves an impeccable selection of exceptional drinks. From rare spirits to vintage Champagnes - not to mention a cocktail list of encyclopedic proportions, this extensive offering allows us to cater to all tastes – no matter how diverse. Our knowledgeable staff will be pleased to help you with your selection. The refined simplicity of The Cocktail Bar food menu provides a relaxed yet elegant alternative to the fine dining experience in The Great Room Restaurant
Reviewed October 17, 2012

last Wednesday eight friends and I had a wonderful day afternoon tea (birthday party) and afterwards a few drinks at bar everything was just perfect

Reviewed October 16, 2012

My wife and I decided to go A La Carte. What a mistake! Berts hor,s d,oeuvres! One scotch egg cut in two, four terrible duck? rissoles, two small lettuce leaves with a malteser sized bit of apple and similar of cheese, with a walnut each and an espresso cup each of very mediocre mushroom soup. £16. My wife had fish with fennel mash, not even a complete fillet, just five small pieces. 10% added to bill for wine and drinks which are already marked up. 10% added to bill for reserving our seats at £10 each. We left very dissatisfied at 10 pm. Overall a dreadful experience not to be repeated.

1  Thank blood-banker
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I spent a most enjoyable afternoon at Bert's, the atmospheric and opulent art deco bar-restaurant of the Merchant Hotel, Belfast.

Bert's Bar is entered from the new section of the hotel at High Street, directly opposite St George's Church.

When I arrived I walked up to the bar counter and ordered a Tanqueray and tonic. I have to say they know how to serve their drinks here: The portions of ice and lemon or lime slices are impeccable.

I like Bert's. Indeed I like the grand Merchant.

I had time for another restorative before my friends arrived, when we all found a banquette at the window.

The menus arrived. We decided to have the set menu, which comprised a tempting selection of dishes.

I had the Waldorf salad, sea-bass and creme brulee; Mandy (Duchess of Calhame), the soup, beef Beef bourguignon and sorbet; and I've forgotten what Chris had. Ha!

My Waldorf salad was good. The portion was fine for me, with the apple sculpted into little balls; plenty of walnuts, and a fine dressing.

The sea-bass was seated on top of basil mash, a remarkable green colour. It was quite delicious. I simply could not find any faults at all. Tip-top.

The Duchess's soup looked home-made, thick and nourishing. Her Grace's (!) beef beef bourguignon also looked irresistible, to such an extent that she passed me the remains of her unfinished helping, the soup course having satisfied her greatly.

I ate some of the beef and mash; the nose-bag in overdrive by that stage.

Never let it be said that Timothy Belmont fails as a hearty enough trencherman in the race to the food-trough.

Puddings were, I must say, the calibre of the previous courses.

We had a bottle of white New Zealand wine with the meal.

We eventually took our leave and ambled over to a diminutive establishment in Skipper Street called The Spaniard.

It was quite crowded, and we made our way the the rear of the bar, where we chatted with a couple of "newly-weds". I drank Hendrick's and tonic, with a great chunk of cucumber; the Duchess had a cocktail; and Chris, Jack Daniel's and Coke; three drinks which set me back £20, including a tip.

We had another round prior to hailing a cab at Waring Street, which conveyed us to Madison's Hotel, Botanic Avenue, where we spent the remainder of the evening.

Her Grace and I got the train home, though she took the one going northwards, towards Calhame Manor. Chris stayed the night at Madison's.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We slipped in here for a drink as we could hear the music as we were walking back to our room at the Merchant Hotel. it was 10:30 only 5 tables were in and they looked to be full staffed. Took forever for someone to notice us. We had 2 glasses of beer and then decided to get closer to the music part of the room and order a bottle of wine. Our waitress was not impressed when we wanted to stay and order a bottle of wine. She really wanted to get out of there early I think. They do have live music postings until midnight, I didn't think ordering a bottle of wine would be a problem.

Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Very expensive and staff - although very friendly and attentive - service is slow - but that's part of the overall theme. Brilliant atmosphere - groovy and quirky - hard to beat the live jazz and easy listening tones of the 'house singer'.
Can get very expensive if you hit the cocktail menu -