“Standards have slipped”

The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast
Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We stayed here for 1 night last weekend on a dinner and b&b package. Having stayed here before, we were looking forward to our return trip but were left feeling a little disappointed. While the staff are still as friendly and helpful as ever the hotel itself is quite tired looking and in need of some TLC. The dark black & white colour scheme interior of our room showed up every scuff and mark that needed treating. 1 of the lamps in the room didn't work and we had to ask for a new iron as the one in our room was broken. The small shelf in the bathroom isn't big enough for toiletries. The bathroom is very dark - not great lighting for putting on make up ladies!! We also only had 1 bottle of water between us both and one glass, surely in a double room there should be 2 of each? We were very disappointed to learn the restaurant is no longer ran by Kevin Thornton and the standard of food has definitely slipped as a consequence. To be honest it was no better than a good gastro pub - but still the same price as when the "celebrity chef" was there?! Service in the restaurant was slow but it was very busy and when we asked for some water we were given two small tumblers of tap water, surely very restaurant offer a jug??! overall, the stay was OK, but disappointing.

Room Tip: The corner rooms offer brilliant views of the city below with floor to ceiling windows
1  Thank Embarpearls
Write a ReviewReviews (3,447)

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Staff were very friendly and welcoming, hotel was modern and luxurious and food brilliant.
Considering the location, found it to be well sound-proofed and quiet. Fantastic location for exploring Belfast and the concierge are very helpful in booking taxis/storing luggage/providing information etc.
We were there as part of a hen party and did the Cocktail Masterclass in the Penthouse, it was fantastic - great views over Belfast and well run by the staff.
Dinner in the restaurant was of a high standard and breakfast the next morning was amazing. Can help yourself to continental-style pastries, yoghurts, fruits and cereals and then order a hot breakfast from the kitchen so it's fresh. So good!
I would definitely want to stay here if I visited Belfast again. Thanks.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 26, 2014

On arriving I made eye contact with the girl at front desk and smiled, she promptly ignored me and looked away. Our room had a few small tiles missing from the shower, the grey netting over the window was ripped and roughly sewed up, a bit shabby for 5*. When ordering a drink in the bar that night there were three bar staff on and yet it took between 10-15min to get our drink to the table. On checking out the same delightful girl was on the phone talking about a night out, she continued to do so while I stood there for a while and eventually told her friend she would call her back in 5!!!!! She was obviously annoyed with me as she made no eye contact and didn't crack a smile. Altogether a poor experience, they could learn a lot from The Merchant, now that is pure 5* !

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank Chloe130682
Reviewed May 25, 2014

This was our second stay in the Fitzwilliam in Belfast and both times have been lush. Each room we have had has been extremely comfortable, amazing decor, minibar,sofa, cracker views, heated mirrors to prevent steaming up and luxurious finishes to make your room perfect. The attention to detail throughout the hotel is certainly noticed, we even had a little welcome plate of treats in our room as it was a birthday trip.

We did not use the other services in the hotel due to plans being made outside of the hotel but on our next stay we will avail of the food etc. However, I did see the car valet service in use which is also a great service to those drivers.

Location is perfect for people wanting a city break or even a break to kick back and relax.

We seem to have been very lucky as on both stays the hotel had famous people also stay so you never know who you might meet :)

Minibar prices are VERY expensive, even for a bottle of water. There is a Tesco Express across from the front door of the hotel which sells everything you would need.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VictoriaLee2014
Reviewed May 22, 2014

I booked this hotel for my elderly grandmother and her friend - they were going to see a show in the Grand Opera House and I thought booking the Fitzwilliam would be a real treat for them - I couldn't have been more disappointed.
When I dropped them off, I accompanied them in due to both of them having mobility issues. I checked them in and luckily I was there because no one offered to carry their bags despite them both using walking aids!
When we got to to the room, it was a double bed ... When I booked I asked for a twin room (Please note this was £155 for bed and breakfast) and eventually someone came to change the room into a twin room ... so nobody could unpack or settle down until this happened.
Then came dinner, which was an extra £17.95 per person for the pre-theatre menu ... Being older, the two of them don't have a great appetite, however even they were horrified when they saw the size of the portions and asked if their dinner of salmon on a bed of ordinary garden peas came with any potatoes ... they didn't and were told that the sides would be "extra". The sides had to be ordered due to tiny portions on the plate. Dessert was next, and a lemon cake, which neither of them could even cut into ... it was stale. What an atrocious experience in what is supposed to be a top class hotel in Belfast. I will most definitely be taking my custom elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel! Perhaps the Europa or Merchant
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank dee0512
Reviewed May 21, 2014

I stayed here overnight while helping my son move flat. I hit the jackpot with a last minute website offering me this opportunity at a much cheaper rate than normal since it was a Monday evening.
I had a much needed luxurious stay and greatly welcomed the hot , powerful showers and the restorative sleep in the wonderfully comfortable bed cocooned in a pitch black room. The decor is very contemporary with geometric patterns everywhere, black paintwork and mirrors sparkling in the darkened spaces. Everything was of a high spec. Thick pile carpets, Bed linen, toiletries, hairdryer, ironing board, tv, safe, coffee facilities and a well stocked fridge. Oh yes and a magnifying mirror on bathroom..such a bonus! No expense has been spared here. I was on a room only tariff so cannot comment of food. I did spend a few hours in the lounge and the service and staff were very friendly. It is located in a busy city centre so you are perfectly sorted for sightseeing on foot, for theatres on your doorstep, for multiple restaurants etc., nearby. The main Europa bus depot is behind the hotel so the airport bus can leave you off at the side door. Loca bus tours start from here too. Even Dublin coach and train departs close by too for any day trips. The location is less ideal if you have your own transport. Having said this overnight parking is available and a day time car park is right across the road. But at a cost. Especially if you are in and out of the hotel during the course of the day. It's the one drawback. Had a lovely time and would love to return.

Room Tip: I could hear the lift but I was right beside it. If you don't want to be woken early ask for roo...
Reviewed May 20, 2014

The Fitzwilliam Hotel is in a great location for visiting the local attractions. The room wasn't the most spacious but the decor is tastefully done. My only negative about the room was the poor view which was of another building and a car park. The car park is expensive if you stay for two nights as we did (34pounds). The bed was extremely comfortable and you could hear very little noise from the corridor or the street. We ate in the bar which was reasonably priced and they have an extensive cocktail menu. The staff were very attentive throughout our stay and made us feel very welcome at the hotel.