“Fantastic.”

Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Devon, United Kingdom
“Fantastic.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Stayed as a couple 18th-21st. Service at the Fitzwilliam was polite, friendly and attentive, for example the receptionist asked upon checking in whether we required any directions or bookings, and the concierge provided us with a map and comprehensive walking directions. On our last day the receptionist kindly ensured that a taxi was booked ready to go the airport, having spent the day at the Titanic experience, whilst the concierge located luggage scales for us.

We didn't book DBB/BB so can't comment on the breakfast, but we ate in the restaurant one of the nights. The food price was fairly reasonable and the food itself was lovely. When we arrived at 7pm (weeknight), there was only one other table dining! I wouldn't say this was a bad thing, but we had been told to make sure we booked a table if we wanted to dine there as 'the restaurant gets busy'. Plenty of places to eat nearby if you don't wish to dine at the Fitz, and also a Subway and Tesco across the road if you want something on the go.

Toiletries provided by the White Company were really lovely. Thankfully the bathroom has standard lighting as well as 'mood' lighting! Was also even able to listen to the stereo/cd player (located in the bedroom itself) whilst in the bath (door open of course!). The bed was king size and incredibly comfortable.

The hotel does have a fitness suite and although it is small by any standards, but it has all you could need for while you're away (crosstrainer, bike, treadmill, freeweights, exercise ball, towels, water dispenser, air conditioning).

The hotel itself is in a convenient location for: city centre/city hall, War Memorial gallery, city sightseeing tour, crown liquor saloon (National Trust), Grand Opera House, and if you go the McCoombe's coach tour to Giant's Causeway (which I highly recommend! via Carrickfergus Castle, Bushmills Distillery, Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge), there is a pick up point a couple of buildings down the road, by the Europa.

We stayed on 2nd floor and our room was an executive with rear view, which we were fine with. I doubt you're at much of a disadvantage if you don't spend the extra to get a corner room with a view (superior/deluxe). Would certainly return.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Carolyn M, Front Office Manager at The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Kat8900

Many thanks for your recent review regarding your stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

It was a pleasure to read how you found the service 'polite, friendly and attentive'. I was also pleased to read how much you liked the toiletries which we provide and how you found the bed 'incredibly comfortable'.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Carolyn Matthews

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Belfast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

We were there from xmas eve to boxing day.
Reception staff were unhelpful and unfriendly on arrival and went to bar for a drink -similar experience. Had to ask for mulled wine and mince pies which were part of welcome package.
Room was lovely and great view over Belfast. Candle supplied in room but no matches available even at reception. Bathrobes tired looking and very little wardrobe space. Toiletries not replaced day2. restaurant staff pleasant at all meals - helpful and courteous but food not fresh or special.Housekeeping staff very pleasant. Christmas stocking on the door nice touch.
lacked ambience and didn't feel christmasy or special. Obvious some of the staff didn't want to be there at xmas. Wouldn't recommend for xmas stay/package.
Not suitable for families with children. Wouldn't rate at more than 3 star.

Room Tip: Need to go for a superior room level 4 or above
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear genuine-lady

Your feedback is highly appreciated and I wanted to thank you for the time you took in sharing your comments about your stay over the Christmas period.

It is regrettable that your visit did not fulfil your expectations. We strive to provide a wam and genuine service to all our guests. It is therefore disappointing to read about your experience as it is evident we could have done a much better job in this regards.

I would very much like to discuss this with you in further detail. Please contact myself directly at the hotel at your earliest convenience.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed here a while ago. Arrived late at night following a long flight and had a completely hassle free check in (which is always a plus!)

Room was stylish and comfortable, only downside was view of the bins (from on high) but i didn't spend anytime gazing out the window like in a travel advert so was not really an issue.

Had a couple of drinks in the bar which were good and enjoyed good conversations with the bar staff.

All in all a good stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Totaltraveller81

It was lovely to read how we provided a 'completely hassle free check in' after your long flight and how you found the room 'stylish and comfortable'. Perhaps on your next visit we will be able to provide you with a room with a better view!

Thank you for your time and consideration. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

Went for a trip with me and the girlfriend, had a great stay, amazing room and were made to feel so comfortable. However the highlight of the stay was the Fitzwilliam bar. Our server Andrew, Tall blonde fella, was the biggest gentleman I've ever met. He took care of us all night, and not only was our server but became our entertainment for the evening, very funny, charming and sweet. I will most certainly be back to the hotel very soon, and yous have Andrew to thank.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Joey4815

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your experience from your last visit with us here at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

I am delighted to read your positive comments about the hotel and the service provided by Andrew from the bar. I will certainly be sharing your feedback with Andrew and indeed the entire team here at the hotel.

Thank you for your time and consideration and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

If you want to stay in a boutique hotel in the heart of the city centre then look no further. The floor to ceiling windows allow for bright rooms. The breakfasts, bar and ambiance are terrific. The only negative is that it is on a busy road.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear kevinmck

Many thanks for your lovely review regarding your recent stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

It was a pleasure to read how you found 'the breakfast, bar and ambience terrific'. I will certainly be sharing your feedback with the team here at the hotel.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Nagaokakyo, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

Hotel is not bad. Good location. However, I noticed some points unperfqect.
At the mini-bar, there is no AC power for electric pot.
Mini-bar was locked.
Air-conditioner does not work at night. Room was very cold at mid-night and early morning.
Finally, bill was incorrect!! I never use mini-bar but some stuff was added in the bill.
I have to fight with reception guy.

Room Tip: Nothing. I don't know.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear nobnutjp

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

Your feedback is highly appreciated and I wanted to thank you for the time you took in sharing a few points about your experience at the hotel. I was of course most concerned to read that on this occasion you left with a feeling that we did not live up to the high standards you would expect.

I would very much like to speak with you personally. Please contact myself directly at the hotel where I would like the opportunity to discuss with you in further detail.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Berwick St John
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed 2 nights in The Fitzwilliam and was impressed. Check in was efficient and friendly and I had a room on the 6th floor. It did look straight across into another hotel room so I kept the curtains closed in the evenings. Like a previous reviewer, the room was cold on arrival. I decided to make a hot drink to warm me up, the selection was a bit limited (no hot chocolate) and no biscuits - and the only place I could find to plug in the kettle's tiny lead was the bedside table. They were my only niggles. The bathroom was great, the bed large and comfortable, the free Wi-Fi was good and the digital radio a nice extra on top of the television.
The location is very good with stacks of good restaurants close by. Breakfast service was good and again very friendly.
The Concierge was extremely helpful too and I do hope that I'll be able to stay at The Fitzwilliam again sometime.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Carolyn M, Front Office Manager at The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear AttitudeAdjuster

Thank you for your comments on your recent visit to the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

I was very pleased to read how you enjoyed your stay including the service, the breakfast and the location.

I will share your comments with the rest of the team here and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.