“Not a 5 star experience”

The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast
Ranked #3 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Our stay in Belfast was to celebrate my sisters birthday so we decided to stay at this hotel as a special treat - we normally stay elsewhere. However we were very disappointed on our arrival when we found ourselves in a disabled room with no bath, walk in shower and raised toilet. When I phoned reception I was rudely told that's what had been booked so it was no fault of the hotel!! I did not book a disabled room so I think the hotel should be speaking with their booking agents because I see from previous reviews at least one other guest had a similar experience. Nothing was mentioned at reception when booking in, the surprise was when we entered our room - that can't be right. We were moved to another room on a lower floor which looked into some kind of quadrangle and directly into the window of another hotel room. The room was very dark and gloomy with inadequate lighting. The bathroom was also dark with a sink that took an age to empty. The reception area was very nice and the quality of breakfast was very good - however the restaurant lacked any windows so after staying on the gloomy bedroom we couldn't wait to get outside. Certainly not a 5 star experience for us - we have stayed in cheaper and nicer hotels in Belfast.

1  Thank chuckienewcastle
Carolyn M, Front Office Manager at The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear chuckienewcastle

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

May I first of all extend my sincere apologies that you left the hotel less than satisfied during your recent visit. I would very much to discuss your experience with you further and kindly ask that you contact myself directly at the hotel.

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring these important issues to our attention and I look forward to hearing from you.

There are newer reviews for The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast

Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Loved every minute of our stay here. . From the valet parking to the breakfast staff , everyone was incredibly helpful, apart from one lady on checkout whom didnt seem tge least bit interest in my answer after she had asked me what I was doing for the rest of my day. She asked what I was doing and upon my reply she just tyed away on the computer with that look that you know that they are not interested. .

the breakfast is great. Possibly best set up I have seen on my travels. You have a buffet continental and a choice then of having a cooked breakfast brought to you as well. .

it was the room that really took our breathe away. From the second we entered it screamed quality. Thick pile carpet, huge wardrobe,huge bathroom,sofa and the icing on the cake was the classical music that was playing on the little stereo system hidden away in the corner.

Have being recommend ing the hotel since I got home to everyone that will listen..

thanks guys

1  Thank Lookarounder

Dear Lookarounder

Thank you so much for your recent review regarding your stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

It was a pleasure to read how you enjoyed the experience from the room to the breakfast and how you found everyone 'incredibly helpful'. I will certainly be sharing your feedback with the Management and staff here at the hotel.

I was however disappointed that the Receptionist did not take an interest in your answer at check out. I apologies for this and can assure you that I will personally be taking a look into this and addressing it.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Really central easy to find hotel right in the city. Great welcome at reception, concierge very helpful my husband and I were impressed from the moment we were greeted.

The location is excellent walking distance to the city hall and the Christmas markets as well as all the main shops.

Great breakfast fast friendly service great food and so fresh quality very good.

All in all we were very happy and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jab242

Thank you so much for the lovely review regarding your recent stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

It was a pleasure to read how you received a 'great welcome at reception' and how you found the concierge 'very helpful'. It was also lovely to read how you enjoyed the breakfast experience and that you will be recommending the hotel. I will certainly be sharing your feedback with the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Stayed here while having a night out in December. The function was somewhere however when I experienced the Fitzwilliam we didnt want to go anywhere else. Bar great, staff amazing and rooms so comfortable. A special mention to Kevin, operations manager who made us feel so welcome.

One word of advice.... JUST BOOK IT! Great hotel!

Dear lornaCoDown

Many thanks for your recent review regarding your enjoyable stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

It was a pleasure to read how you found the 'bar great, staff amazing and rooms so comfortable' I will certainly be sharing your lovely comments with the team here at the hotel and in particular to Kevin our Operations Manager.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Superb location, great colour schemes in the hotel. Probably a little pricey for Belfast to be honest, but it is a lovely hotel, if not a little empty when I stayed there! Hopefully it's picked up a little

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Matthew C

I thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at the Fitzwiliam Hotel Belfast.

It was lovely to read how you enjoyed the 'superb location' and 'great colour schemes' in the hotel. The hotel was extremely busy over the Christmas and New Year period. Hopefully on your next visit you will find the hotel a lot busier.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night for my Birthday. Enjoyed the whole stay; from the warm welcome to arriving in the lovely bedroom; pure relaxation all the way. Lovely cocktails by the fire in the lounge and dinner was beautiful too. Having the car parked up by the concierge was amazing. Will definitely do this again!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear alley999

Many thanks for your lovely review regarding your stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast and a belated Happy Birthday to you!

It was a pleasure to read how you enjoyed your stay and in particular the warm welcome and cocktails by the fire. I will certainly be sharing your comments with the team here at the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

I stayed here for two nights, it was very close to the centre which was great, the rooms were well equiped whilst not huge they were big enough for what we needed. We were in a room next to the lift and during the day you could here the bell in the lift and we worried that it was going to be noisy at night but that wasn't the case.
On our first night we went for a drink in the bar, we decided to take our drinks out into the reception area as the sofas looked a lot more comfortable. The only table available had just been vacated by some people having tea/coffee and we expected this to be cleared at some point however we sat there for nearly an hour with our drink and the crockery remained.

There was a large party sitting by the fire having tea/coffee and a birthday cake and when they left we decided to move over to the fire. We got another drink and thought that at some point the big table that was covered in plates, cups and saucers etc would be moved but after we sat for another half an hour I went and asked if it was possible to have it cleared.

I think that more attention should be paid to this area as this is also the reception and first impressions count with people coming into the hotel.

Other than this, the breakfast was very nice and we had dinner on the second night which was also very nice.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Deaf Riley1UK

Many thanks for your recent review regarding your stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

It was lovely to read how you enjoyed breakfast and dinner in our restaurant. I was however disappointed at the level of service provided in our lobby / reception area. I sincerely apologies for this and can assure you that I will personally be taking a close look into this issue.

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring these important issues to our attention, as it is only through such comments that we can improve on the services we provide.