“Lovely Hotel, Brilliant Staff, Rubbish food”

The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast
Ranked #3 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Had my first experience of The Fitzwilliam Hotel last night and won't be in a hurry to repeat it.
A group of us had booked a pre- theatre meal. Upon reaching the restaurant the staff very promptly showed us to our table with very friendly welcoming smiles and chat, seated us very quickly and promptly took our drinks order - no complaints about this part of the evening. Can't even complain about the service of the food - it all happened very smoothly - however I can complain about the quality and quantity of the food - its a set menu for pre - theatre and whilst I cannot claim to have any professional cooking skills (I am just an interested home cook) I could have cooked better meals - I ordered salted chilli chicken with ginger and coleslaw for starters - what turned up was an insult - three small frozen chicken (want to call them goujons but can't as they were tiny) nuggets on a spoonful of dry coleslaw (couldn't find the ginger) with a drizzle of common supermarket sweet chilli sauce. For mains I ordered chicken on a bed of champ with bacon, wilted spinach and a cream sauce. The portion size was miniscule - I am not a massive eater but even I found this portion size to be inadequate - it might have just about filled my 5 yr old grandson. It was cooked well enough, but nothing about it that left me longing for more.
The hotel experience was fine - the food would put me of returning again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Carolyn M, Front Office Manager at The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Dotty167,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

I am very disappointed to read taht you had a a bad experience in our restaurant and that it did not live up to your expectations. Could I please kindly ask you to contact myself and we can discuss this in further detail.

There are newer reviews for The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Had a fantastic one night stay in this hotel. Really central which is perfect for any tours etc you would want to do.
From first contact with check-in staff everything was just fabulous. Decided to eat in hotel restaurant as we were tired and what a good decision this was. The special was £55 for 3 courses, a bottle of wine and tea or coffee for two which was really first class. Food was excellent, steak was cooked to perfection and Sean was a very friendly and helpful waiter.
After dinner we headed down to the bar and Jonathan was on hand to really ensure we enjoyed our drinks - what a friendly and helpful guy. He took time out to sit and chat to us which we really appreciated and it all added to our visit. Would definitely stay here again and if in Belfast for an evening would eat in the hotel restaurant as the food was so good.

Dear bc13cat,

I am delighted to read that you had a fantastic stay and that you had first class dining experince in our restaurant here at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast. It will be my pleasure to share your lovely feedback with all the team especially jonathon from the bar who took time to make you feel welcome.

Thank you for your lovely feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Fitzwilliam Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Have just returned from three nights at this hotel where my Canadian family accompanied me. It was our first time in Ireland and we simply couldn't have picked a better place to stay. Friendly staff, excellent rooms, great food and service and all at what was a very reasonable rate. The local is simply splendid for getting about and is a short stride from the bus terminus.

Room Tip: If you are travelling in from Belfast International Airport, the 300 bus drops you less than five mi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear SuzieQ34,

Thank you for taking the time to write such lovely feedback on your recent stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

I am delighted to read that you recieved friendly service from all the staff and that food you recieved was great. I will certainly pass on your nice feedback to the rest of the team at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Really excellent hotel, very friendly staff who go extra mile.
Excellent location to see Belfast.
Sean in restaurant and Jonathan the cocktail star in the bar are super, reception staff make you feel really welcome.
Jonathon's Lady Nuna cocktail is great
Highly recommend hotel!

Room Tip: We had high room which was quiet Restaurant is good value and good quality

Dear Sfc123,

It is my pleasure to read that all the staff went the extra mile for you and were very friendly during your stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast. I am pleased that Sean, Jonathon and the reception staff made you feel welcome.

Thank you for your kind words and it will be great pleasure sharing your feedback with all the team at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

I look foward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Staff was very helpful, above and beyond! Room gorgeous and breakfast top notch! Loved the vibe here and highly recommend. Location terrific for the city. Highly recommend the driver they chose for our city tour

Dear Sue b,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review on your recent stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

It is a pleasure to read that all the staff were very helpful and went above and beyond to make for you. I will happily share your fantastic feedback with al the team at the Fitzwillaim Hotel Belfast.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stay here several times a year, never a disappointment. Lovely décor, tasteful design rooms, very trendy foyer and bar. Dinner here WILL delight you and breakfast will have something for everyone, I recommend the smoked salmon egg's benedict.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise (not an issue for me), try to secure a room away from the elevator doo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Gregoryx_10,

Thank you for your recent review on your recent stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

It is very nice to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast and you had a very nice Breakfast and Dinner. I will be delighhted to share your nice feedback with all the team.

I look forard to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Carolyn Matthews,

Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night as a treat for myself and best friend. The room was lovely, spotless and well appointed. The bathroom was luxurious. The location is bang on city centre. The staff are excellent not only did I get a little welcome card for my birthday but everyone we met was friendly and helpful especially Philip on reception, can't wait to stay again

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Suzym73Ireland,

I am delighted to read that you had a very enjoyable stay and that you found the staff to be excellant, I will share you kind words with all the team especially Philip our Concierge.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast in the near future.