“Same Hotel - Same Problems”

The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast
Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed here a year ago and had some problems, particularly with the air conditioning, as a result of which, we had a room upgrade this time (unfortunately it was oppopsite the lifts and the noise of the lift arriving was ridiculously loud)
Having said this, the room was very nice but guess what - the air conditioning didn't work again, either in the room or the Bar (we were told by the bar staff that the person with the keys to the cupboard to access the equipment was on holiday and taken the keys with them).
Really need to do something with the seating in the Bar as well - totally unsuitable and uncomfortable.
Won't be staying there again I'm afraid despite the staff being very pleasant

Room Tip: Don't have one opposite or near the lifts !
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Carolyn M, Front Office Manager at The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Dear Leigh F

I am very concerned to read of your most recent experience at The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast and I would very much like to discuss your comments further. Please can you kindly contact me direct at the hotel.

Carolyn Matthews

Write a ReviewReviews (3,355)

Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was a great choice as it was our first time staying in Belfast..
Myself and husband enjoy our stay.. Hotel was a warm and welcome atmosphere ... Very modern and clean... Staff very friendly and rooms are amazing...
Breakfast was lovely and plenty of it...
We will be back at this hotel...
Thanks for a lovely stay!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Maggiedonnelly

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

It was lovely to read how how you found breakfast lovely, staff very friendly and rooms amazing. I will be sharing these comments with the Management and staff here at the Fitzwilliam.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

What can I say. We stayed sadly for only one night and would have stayed forever. The staff were amazing. Room was superb (OK it was the penthouse!). Cocktail bar was great fun with so many choices topped off with a fantastic meal & even better breakfast.
A very big well done & thank you to Sherif & his team. A must stay if you are anywhere near Belfast.

Room Tip: Penthouse a must see!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Alison S

Thank you for your lovely review regarding your stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

It was a pleasure to read how you found our staff amazing, cocktail bar fun and rooms superb. I will certainly be sharing your feedback with the team here at the Fitzwilliam.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Pros:
- Great central location, close to City Hall and the Europa bus centre
- Smiling and helpful reception and concierge staff
- Spacious, clean room with comfortable bed
- Contemporary design with some nice touches like the retro phones
- Luggage rack area by the door
- Spacious bathroom with plenty of towels, nice toiletries (White Company) and walk-in shower (good water pressure)
- Free WiFi worked perfectly
- Plenty of accessible plug sockets
- Elegant and impressive ground floor lobby which was popular with guests
- Lots of choice at breakfast (but it is pricey as most hotel breakfasts are). Had the pancakes as part of the continental breakfast, they were very filling (would have been nice to have had a savoury option, say, with bacon)

Cons:
- Limited TV channels. Disappointing given that you can get Freeview channels at the Premier Inn
- As another reviewer has noted, there was surprisingly little shelf space for toiletries in the bathroom. I also wasn't keen on the design of the sink plug (but maybe that's just me - prefer to have either a lever or chain to operate it)
- The desk chair had such soft seat padding that I sank deep down into it! I had to use one of the sofa cushions as a booster
- Was a little disappointed that there were no bathrobes or slippers available
- There was no air conditioning in the business centre on the top floor, so it was stiflingly hot with the PCs running. We had to wedge it open with one of the desk chairs
- I found the dimly lit corridors with mirrors on each room door somewhat unnerving and intimidating

I know TripAdvisor doesn't have half star ratings, if it did I would rate the Fitzwilliam at 3.5. Better than "average", good choice for someone who wants to be very centrally located, but I just wasn't wowed by it.

Dear jytraveller

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

Both your pros and cons have been taken on board and shared with the team. All feedback is extremely valuable and I thank you for sharing with us.

We hope to welcome you back to the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The hotel is nice, but the website promises a boutique hotel full of surprises, and I found an average hotel.

The design of the room was very nice, a little wear-down but still ok. The view from my room was a parking lot.

Bathroom is big with both shower and bath. TV signal was always "poor". My pillow was terrible, but I discover they had a "pillow menu", so you can request the pillow of your choice.

Breakfast was great, lots of options for a good price. I also liked the service and the food at the restaurant, but the bar had a limited menu and terribly slow service.

Overall, service was very nice and friendly but not efficient. I asked some questions like "where can I find a souvenir shop?" and they didn't know. I also asked help to book an appointment for a manicure and they didn't do it, so when I showed up at the saloon, they didn't had space.

Room Tip: I suggest to pay your breakfast when you make the reservation, since they'll give you a discount...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Carolyn M, Front Office Manager at The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Everab

I was very disappointed to read that the experience did not live up to your expectations. I would like to discuss your experience further if you could kindly contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed at the Fitzwilliam as we were attending a function in Belfast and the hotel is centrally located and close to the city centre. Prior to arrival, I looked on the hotel website to find GPS co-ordinates for satilite navigation but there were none so I 'phoned the hotel and the staff member did not know what I meant and said so. She seemed baffled as if she had never heard of such a thing.
The rooms are nice but small and water (or robes & slippers) are not provided which one would expect from a 5* hotel. The room number is difficult to see due to the very poor lighting in the corridor. Parking is expensive but McCausand's car park is nearby which is a bit cheaper and they will give you a discount if you are a hotel guest (proof such as a hotel key is required). As it had started raining, we were given complinentary umbrellas at reception on the way out which was very helpful. My main gripe is with the bathroom - there is only a small shelf for toiletries and no room to put your own items. As the shelf was above the basin and in close proximity to the toilet, there was a good chance that things would fall off the shelf into the toilet or on to the floor. The non slip surface in the shower had started to peel off and there remained only patches around the edge of the shower floor. Also, a used shower cap from a previous occupant was hanging up inside the bathroom door. Could be a better standard overall.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear ABSH4

I am very sorry to read of your recent experience at The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast and would very much like to discuss your feedback further. All feedback we receive is of great value and I would be grateful if you could contact myself at the hotel directly so these issues don't arise again in the future.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Can't fault this hotel in the slightest. First class, staff very nice nothing was a problem. Restaurant was very impressive and the special offer meal for 2 was fantastic. Will defiantly be back in the near future

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Weirs050

Dear Weirs050

It was a pleasure to read how you found us 'first class' and that 'staff were very nice, nothing was a problem'. I will certainly be sharing these comments with the team.

We hope to welcome you back to the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast in the near future.