“Great hotel”

The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast
Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My fiance and I stayed here for my birthday in January, I thought it would be quiet with it being just after christmas and I thought. People wouldnt have they money but I waz wrong! There was a fantastic buzz in the bar cocktails were gorgeous!! We had way to many! My fiance is more a beer or grey goose drinker and he even had a few cocktails! We left the hotel to go to am pm for dinner it was lovely and we stopped at a few bars but we couldn't wait to get back to the hotel! We stayed in the residents bar to late, and we didnt have to check out until 1:00. Pm brill a nice long sleep! The rooms were big and modern clean and staff were so nice esp bar staff, there cocktails were too good, cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: January 2013
Carolyn M, Front Office Manager at The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Dear umbrella_9

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay.

I am very happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and especially found the bar staff helpful and nice. I have taken the pleasure of sharing your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend booked us into the Fitzwilliam as a surprise to celebrate my 30th. We normally stay in more basic places, so it was a treat to stay somewhere more posh!

When we arrived late on Friday night, the staff on reception couldn't have been more welcoming - they were very friendly, and happy to help with everything from recommending restaurants for the next night, to directions to the Giants Causeway and were so enthusiastic about both the hotel and Belfast.

The room was beautiful - black, white and yellow sounds like it wouldn't work as a colour scheme, but it did here. As we walked into the room some classical music was playing - we eventually tracked it down to a stereo in the wardrobe. It's little touches like this that make the Fitzwilliam so special.

The bed was huge, and very comfy, and there were black out curtains so we slept soundly. My boyfriend had asked for a room with a view, so we were on the 7th floor.

The lobby was beautiful, and the bar menu plentiful and well chosen with a nice buzz in the bar.

The breakfast was very tasty too!

There's only a couple of minor negative points to report - 1. The parking was expensive at £17 a night (we got round this by using the nearby carparks - thankyou parkopedia!), and 2. The cafetiere in our room didn't work (a very small point indeed, given that I have never been provided a cafetiere in a hotel room before).

Altogether, it was a perfect base for our weekend in Belfast. We rarely return to places, as we'd always rather check out somewhere new, but we might have to make an exception here!

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear catherineofyork

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and I have shared your comments to the team. I look forward to welcoming you back for another experience at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I wanted a night away in Belfast, we had reservations made in a nearby restaurant and had organised to go on the historical pub tour of Belfast, so much fun may I add!! Anyway we booked the Fitzwilliam through Booking.com for £115 Room only which I suppose is expensive but we thought ah well its a treat. We parked at McCausland's car park nearby and it was a saving of £5 opposed to parking the car in the Fitzwilliam car park. On production of your hotel receipt you get a discount.

Upon entering the hotel there was a strange 'off' smell in the foyer. Not sure what it was, checking in was straight forward and we were on the 5th floor of the hotel. The lighting on the corridor was very dim leading to the room, to me this is a good sign of how to hide bad housekeeping!! Room was adequate size, quiet location, lightts and air con in the room was hard to master especially the lights. Crisps in the mini bar were a rip off at £2.40. The room was clean and the beds/pillows were comfortable.

We didn't eat at the hotel but we had cocktails in the bar, strong smell of toilets upon entering the bar, maybe this was the smell in the foyer!! Cocktails were enjoyable and the bar staff were friendly. Not many people about so the hotel was somewhat dead in atmosphere.

Overall I think the R/O rate was overpriced, staff friendly, great location but was not overly impressed with decor, smell or ambience within the hotel. It would not be high on my list for a return visit, however if they did better offers we may return if the price was right especially when you compare great weekend deals from other hotels within the city.

Room Tip: Park in McCausland's car park nearby, they offer discount if you stay at the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear dshar

I am very sorry to read that your recent visit to The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast did not live up to your expectations. I would very much like to discuss your experience further if you kindly contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I took my fiance down to the fitzwilliam last night for his birthday an what a place! From the moment we arrived until we left we were treated like royalty. At the front desk when we arrived the lady at reception was so friendly and even took the time to change our room from 618 to 719 for the view without us even having to ask. Bar staff were very friendly an always smiling, all staff were so pleasant and we'll definately be back for the best nites sleep eva again :) p.s the breakfast was first class. A huge trolley was wheeled into our room at 10 this morning and it was full of tea coffee cereal and a full breakfast. Definately would recommend this hotel to anyone. Everything was first class and by far the fitzwilliam is the number one hotel to stay in belfast and weve tried a lot :) so cant wait until we get back :) x yvette

• Stayed: May 2013
Carolyn M, Front Office Manager at The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Dear yvette f

Many thanks for your lovely feedback on your recent stay at The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

It was a pleasure to read how you were 'treated like royalty' and that 'everything was first class'.

I will certainly be sharing your comments with the team and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Great hotel with absolutely perfect centre to the city, great breakfast and very beauiful bedrooms.food in resturant was nice, staff at bar were ok not as friendly as the concierges when you arrive esp Gerard mush older gentelman that is so warm and friendly took our bags to the room and anytime we saw him through our stay he was always smiling Spoke very well of belfast and the history of the hotel also aranged our taxis to and from the nite club.was very disapointed we didnt see him on our check out and was greeted by other concierge Declan that wasnt happy to help us was checky and rude to my partner maybe hes not a early morning operson like gerard!!!. We would come back to the hotel again in the summer but we wil book through gerard as hes worth coming to visit belfast for.
We are only giving Excellent on this review for for Gerard the concierge!!!
Dee

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear deirdre w

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the location, breakfast and food in restaurant. Thank you for your comments regarding our Concierge and providing us with this feedback.

We hope you decide to stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed here in April 2013 for a weekend. The hotel is definitely in a brilliant location, literally 10 mins walk to everything. We tried to get a taxi back to the hotel on Friday night and the taxi driver told us we would be quicker walking due to the new driving system in place.

5 mins by taxi from the central station but literally next door to Great Victoria Station. Plenty of taxis around the corner if needed.

The staff are so friendly from check-in to check-out. Concierge always greets you on arriving and leaving the hotel. The bar staff were also excellent. The Bar has a great atmosphere to be honest with a good buzz to it. Drinks are not over the top either.

The Lobby area is not quite 5* to me although the fire area was lovely, it appeared to always be reserved. The rest of the seating area wouldn't particularly entice you to sit and have coffee and read or chat.

Our room was very nice on the 07th floor, very comfy bed, good facilities and gorgeous fresh coffee and cafeteria. Nice view from our room. Nice big bath and rain forest shower. Iron and board, hair dryer, safe, tv, minibar all the usual facilities you would expect. I did notice there was a number of marks on the furniture and the few holes in the net curtain and scuffs on the walls which just took away again from the 5* feel.

We didn't eat at the hotel, but did try to get food before we left on Sunday but the bar didn't open until 1230 which was disappointing. So we just headed back for a 1pm train instead.

I would definitely stay at the Fitzwilliam again and I would recommend it to people also, no problem, they just need to keep an eye on little issues around to hotel to maintain standards.

The maid hoovering the hallway at 9am on Sunday morning didn't go down too well either!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Carolyn M, Front Office Manager at The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear traveller30

Thank you so much for your kind review. I was so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and we have taken all your feedback on board.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great hotel with absolutely perfect customer service. Lovely foyer, great breakfast and very good bedrooms.

Not much else to say really: the location was excellent, the breakfast was the best I ever got in NI, and the rooms were spacious and well fitted.

Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear luismac

Thank you so much for the lovely review you left regarding your recent stay at The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.

It was a pleasure to read your comments and I will certainly be sharing them with the team,

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.