“Caring attitude really helped”

The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast
Ranked #5 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
London, United Kingdom
“Caring attitude really helped”
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

We needed a hotel room in a hurry close to the hospital as our father had suffered a massive brain haemorrhage and was dying. The staff were wonderful, arranging taxis in the middle of the night and fetching our car at short notice at equally unsocial hours. Their kindness and professionalism made a very difficult and trying time somewhat easier, they really cared. A big thank you all round.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cariadon
Katie R, Manager at The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Cariadon,

Thank you for your kind review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us here at The Fitzwilliam Hotel. I have passed your kind comments onto the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Kind Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Price is a bit high, but I would say it is completely worth it. The room was lovely and clean and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in. Staff is friendly helpful. My boyfriend forgot his wallet in the room so we had to return to the hotel after checking out and it was waiting for us at reception. Wish the hotel had a spa!

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed in the Fitzwilliam on 17th Feb 2013. The location is very good, close to everything in the city centre. The rooms are very contemporary and clean. However a few small things could really improve them. Most annoyingly there was only one accessible plug (power socket) in the room. This was rather inconvenient as we both had phones and other items that needed charging. Also the layout of the room meant that the tv could not be comfortably watched from either the bed or the sofa. The room was also exceptionally warm and the air conditioning controls could have been a lot simpler. Finally, and most annoyingly the fire alarm went off twice during the night, both false alarms.
In short, great location, friendly staff, clean rooms, however some hopfully relatively easily fixed problems spoil the experience somewhat.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Alastair K
UK
Reviewed February 20, 2013

OK fire alarms can go off at 3am, but fire alarms are supposed to go off if they detect smoke. The problem here was that the night porter could not reset the alarm, and no apology was made to guests when we checked out in the morning. I paid for a decent nights sleep and did not get it.

We were woken at 3 am by the loud klaxon in our room, got dressed while the noise continued unabated, and walked down many flights of steps to the lobby. Here we found a Pythonesque scene. The night porter could not reset the alarms, so to keep them quiet, had to stand with one finger on the "silence" button, and try to phone the alarm company with his other hand, and at the same time answer calls from guests who wanted to know what was happening, and ward off angry guests who were unimpressed with the handling of the situation.

Anyway he told us when he had a spare moment that there was no fire, and that we could return to bed. This we did, but 10 minutes later the alarms burst forth again. I had no idea if a fire had really broken out, or the porter had taken his finger of the Silence button. We descended the stairs again, only to find the porter still with one finger on the button, and still trying to call the alarm company with his spare hand. We returned to bed

Anyway next morning when we checked out, the receptionist had a polite but bizarre conversation with us, about what we had done during our stay in Belfast - but no mention of the fire alarms. I paid my bill, then asked to speak to the duty manager. Reception seem bewildered that I should even bring up the subject of a disturbed nights sleep - not their fault they said, but a guest smoking - as if that was my fault, as I was a guest too.

Hotels have guests, and smoke alarms do go off. However staff must be trained how to reset the alarms when they do, and also need to apologise to guests for the disturbance.

I then waited 15 minutes for the duty manage to appear, but in vain. I suspect he was hiding to avoid guests. So I left.

So it all boils down to bad management. Hotel guests are paying for a nights sleep, when a hotel does not deliver this, then they really should say sorry. And if alarms do go off, then staff must be trained to cope with the aftermath. Bad management - you would not want to be here if they really did have a fire.

4 Thank moraira
Dear Moraira,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit to The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.
I am disappointed to read that you experienced a few issues with the fire alarms during your stay and hope you will accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to you as a result. I have communicated each point you have highlighted to our Management team to address and resolve to avoid any future repeat. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay further and hope you would contact me via krobinson@fitzwilliamhotelbelfast.com.

Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed for one night which included an evening meal. Professional service from all the staff we encountered. The meal and attention to service were the BEST we have ever experienced. Any minor problems were sorted out promptly. If this hotel could have captured our visit on camera they could use it in training classes in how to provide a first class service even down to how the Night Porter dealt with some angry clients when the smoke alarm went off in the early hours when some absolute idiot thought it a good idea to start smoking in his or her room. This incident was completely out of the hands of the hotel staff and earned them my sympathy. Some may consider this hotel a little pricey but it is worth every penny to experience such wonderful food and exceptional service.

1 Thank Avajd
Dear Avajd,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit. I have passed on your kind comments to our Team. We are very proud of the team we have at The Fitzwilliam Hotel and fully appreciate that it is they that really make the difference to our guests' experiences. I hope to be welcoming you and your wife back in the very near future.

Donegal Town, Ireland
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Myself and my mother stayed here for 1 night as we were in Belfast on a shopping trip for her birthday. As it was Valentines weekend, I was unsure about booking the restaurant for dinner but I am so glad I did. They had a set menu which looked lovely but included a cocktail which we didnt want so the waiter said we could have the Pre-Theatre menu instead (we were definitely outside the usual time for this). This was a fraction of the cost of the regular menu so it was an extremely nice gesture which we didnt even ask for! This level of service continued as there was a bottle of wine included in our package and the manager very kindly said we could split into a few glasses of red & white to accommodate us - I know other hotels would not have been so kind (and again we didnt ask - it was suggested when i ordered a glass of red). Our waiter Alex was very attentive, friendly and professional (as were all the staff). The food was amazing and breakfast was equally as good with very tasty vegetarian sausages! The hotel is right in the centre but noise isnt an issue (we were on the 2nd floor). Rooms were lovely dcorated and the CD player playing classical music when we checked into the room was a lovely touch. I have to say that our entire experience was just fantastic and I will definitely be booking to stay in this hotel again on my next trip to Belfast.

If you are staying in Belfast dont book anywhere else!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear AnneMG23,

Thank you for your kind review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We were thrilled to welcome you as our guest. I have passed on your wonderful review to our restaurant team to enjoy, especially Alex. We all look forward to your return.

Kind Regards
kildare
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Had a lovely time in the Fitzwilliam Hotel. A very good hotel for a central stay in Belfast, everything within walking distance. The hotel is quite a modern design, sharp lines etc. the front of house staff are very friendly on arrival. There is a nice lobby with a big gas fire to sit in front off after a long days shopping. Breakfast is good with cereals, bread, ham/cheeses, pastries, juices, fruit to choose from along with the standard breakfast menu containing your usual cooked breakfast etc. The bedrooms are a very good size, plenty of room and a great shower again in a good sized bathroom. The only issues we had was with maintenance within the hotel. Light bulb missing in the corridor, not replaced even though it was pointed out to staff. No bathrobes in the room, you have to ring housekeeping or reception to get them. This we did but could get no answer from housekeeping and had to ring reception3/4 times in order to speak to someone but still didn't get them. Small things but do expect better in a hotel of this quality. From a parking point of view, mccauslands car park is 1min from the hotel and have a 5pound overnight rate.