“Great rooms, great location”

The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast
Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

As always, an absolute pleasure - tho a little expensive.
A great location and the king size beds are just fantastic.
They have cut back on some of the fine points - big fluffy robes etc - and it's a shame. But still a lovely place

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed October 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on Saturday 6th October 2012 on a dinner and room package. First impressions were good staff at reception were pleasant and polite, although initially told us there was no table available for dinner, but quickly resolved. Asked if we needed help with bags or needed any assistance by reception great, good start. Got to our room which was large and spacious and clean. However no water in room except at £3 a bottle from mini bar same for biscuits or fruit so impression was that you were paying for what other hotels supply gratis. Went to bar for a cocktail and found staff great engaged and pleasant. Problems started with dinner. Again not with any of the staff who were again great but ordered a couple of bottles of wine. White arrived but was taken away to the cooler and we had to ask several times for our glasses to be replenished, obviously the cooler was were they kept Steve McQueen. The red was even more difficult, ordered but did not arrive. About 45 minutes later told could not find what I had ordered and manager was sorting, which he did and brought half a dozen bottles for me to chose from, however this was about ten minutes after my main had been served, so no wine. I choose a Margaux (it was my birthday) and it was very good. We spoke to the manager and advised that this was not really what we expected regards service and he was, like all the staff, very ameniable. I therefore expected some gesture of goodwill re charge for the wine. Service has to be important in a five star hotel. When I was shown the bill I had been charged £125 for the Margaux (nice wine but a bit overpriced for a £20 bottle of wine) we had to ask for this charge to be reconsidered and we had it reduced to £100 (the wine I had originally ordered was £38). Proactive not reactive please.
The food in the restaurant seriously lacked any seasoning which resulted in the food, although well presented, being bland and lacking taste.
Breakfast next morning was like going back to school dinners, we all had to wait in line for a table. We waited for ten minutes with people in front and behind us. When we were seated no one told us there was a buffet section, had to ask. There were plenty of free tables and plenty of helpful staff but no organisation hence the wait, not what would be expected from a five star hotel, the breakfast itself was not worth the wait you will get a far better one in Belfast.
Overall a poor performance from a Hotel that ranks as a five star. I would not stay here again as not worth the money would either pay a little bit more and stay at the Merchant or try one of the smaller Boutique Hotels. m

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 52michaelm
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I know that a £ is a £, and in these hard times all the more welcome. However, I do feel that this hotel has made a strategic mistake in hosting a pre-Theatre Menu. They are ideally situated beside the Opera House, and the upmarket reputation seems to draw the crowds.The night I was there The Mousetrap was playing to full houses, which unfortunately meant that the hotel was swamped, and I mean swamped, with visitors when I ventured out of my room for dinner at 6.30 pm. As there was no table available for me for at least 30 mins, I decided to go downstairs to the bar where I managed to find somewhere to sit. However, there I was ignored for the 30 minutes as 2 waiters tried to serve the 20 or more fully- occupied tables. I spoke to a staff member on the way out and he told me what was going on - I got the impression that he wasn't too delighted about having the whole night's business compressed into 90 minutes. Eventually seated in the restaurant, I realised that this wasn't really working for the theatre goers either - the couple beside me left without being served at all, and around me diners were calling for their Bills while finishing their main courses, in an effort to get to the Theatre on time. Then at 7.30 calm and quiet was magically restored as the hotel emptied. And I suppose that's the point - it did EMPTY. As the other reviews have stated, the hotel is great, the staff are great, the food was great, the service (once the crowd disappeared) was great, the rooms are great - but as a tired business traveller who had planed for a quiet, early meal and an early night, this madness was not what I expected of a 5 Star hotel. Maybe the Receptionist could advise guests to remain in their rooms until after 7.30 ?.......PS 17 quid for valet parking seems a bit steep. There is a public carpark a hundred yards or so across the road but a bag, briefcase, computer and heavy rain meant that was never going to happen!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Lukieboy2
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed for a weekend in the Fitzwilliam Belfast and it was a great stay. Room was spacious, comfortable and spotless, the bed was huge! Staff were very helpful the concierge couldn't do enough for you. Its in a great location next to the Opera House and within walking distance of the bus tours and shopping centres. I would recommend this hotel for your stay in Belfast which is a great place for a weekend break!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend and could not fault it. Staff were friendly and helpful,cocktails and irish coffees a must and breakfast delicious. The hotel is perfect if you want a break away in comfortable surroundings. Walking distance to some fabulous restaurants and shops. We will look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Great hotel, large room with good seating area. Central lotaction, great bar - try the cocktails, good restaurant - very reasonable priced early evening meals, staff wonderful nothing too much trouble. Really looking forward to going back.

Great city to visit, lots to do. Staff really helpful in booking tours for you.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The Fitzwilliam is very central -- a handsome new building rising on the corner next to the Opera House. Our room on the 7th floor was big, with a comfortable sitting area, huge bathroom and views across to the Antrim hills. It was beautifully dark and quiet at night. The only thing missing was a Nespresso machine, now becoming standard even in 4-star hotels. I loved the décor, which is mustard and black -- such a nice change from the fifty shades of beige you usually get.

The staff are pleasant and friendly. In particular, the young concierge (Daglan?), complete with top hat, was waiting by our taxi to take out bags even before we'd paid the driver. He took us to our room and whizzed off before we could tip him. When we had a small problem with the bath plug the following day, he immediately offered to move us to another room if we didn't want to wait till morning for Maintenance. Naturally, we waited.

The bar and lounge on the ground floor are both pleasant places to relax and the bar does food too. The first-floor restaurant has no windows, which gives a slightly claustrophobic effect; it's all right in the evening but it would be nice to have a view at breakfast. Breakfast is excellent: a buffet and several hot choices, including not only the full Irish but more unusual items such a smoked salmon Benedict.

We had dinner in the restaurant twice during our stay (it was a rainy few days in Belfast). The food is really rather good but we found the young waiters curiously under-trained. They all managed to give the impression that it was their first day of work experience. Waiting tables is not such an unskilled job as many people seem to think and this aspect lets the hotel down.

Room Tip: Even the cheapest rooms are huge. I doubt if you can find a bad one.