“Great location, clean and spacious rooms.”

The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast
Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

Overall very good. Staff were great. The service in the restaurant left a bit to be desired and some details show the signs of cost cutting, like the tiny thin bathrobes.
But all in all a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: February 2012

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Stayed here overnight for myself & my boyfriend's anniversary. Everything about this hotel is excellent, got the room for a bargain £80, however when it reached 2am and I was trying to get to sleep I just couldn't. The bed was the most uncomfortable thing ever and the mattress was far too hard for me, I tossed and turned all night and had an aching back as a result. Got about 2 hours of fitful sleep and boyfriend didn't sleep well either. Weird thudding noise from pipes or something in the walls all throughout the night too. Based on the fact that you'll only ever need a hotel as somewhere to sleep - avoid the fitzwilliam. unless you like really firm mattresses..

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
GemmaConnor, Operations Manager at The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Dear gflennon,
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide a review on your recent stay at The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast.
Here at The Fitzwilliam Hotel, we regularly receive positive feedback about the comfort of our luxury Kingsize mattresses so I am disappointed to learn that you had a restless nights sleep during your visit. I can appreciate how frustrating this must have been for you and can only apologise that it has impacted on your view of the hotel.
Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope this factor will not deter you from returning to The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast in the future.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Stayed here in June after seeing a play about the Titanic in the Mac Theatre.
I had booked in with another couple in 2 suites.
On checking in, my wife's jacket was stolen. this either happened in reception after the bags were taken from the car, or from the room.
The hotel went to check and we had to chase them up to see if it was found. There was no CCTV footage to help.
Also we had to ask two times for the mini bar in the room to be opened from reception as its locked from there. I still wasnt opened and I didnt ask a third time.
The room was a suite on the 8th floor and whilst the rooms were very nice, the stolen jacket issue dampened the stay.
I has stayed at this hotel before (their records will show this), taking suites each time and its usually fine, but this issue means I will be hesitant to rebook.
Ian M.

Room Tip: High floor room with a good view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank I_Mallon

Dear I_Mallon,
I am saddened to hear of the issues you experienced during your visit and wish to apologise that your request to have access to your in room mini bar was not actioned.
I can appreciate how upsetting it must have been for your wife’s jacket to go missing and I too am disappointed we were unable to locate its whereabouts on the day.
As a valued repeat guest of the hotel, I can only hope you will reconsider staying at The Fitzwilliam Hotel on your next visit to Belfast and would ask you contact myself directly on gconnor@fitzwilliamhotelbelfast.com, should you decide to do so.
Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope this incident will not deter you from returning.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Very disappointed in this hotel considering it is a 5 star the room itself was nicely decorated but the rooms temperature was terrible and we stayed in colder months you couldn't breath no windows to open so it was so sticky especially after a bath, we woke up in the morning had a terrible nights sleep our tongues were stuck to the top of our mouths and when we asked for water they gave us it in a silver jug that smelt like something from school!! And it was warm!!!
They completely messed up our breakfast order no sauces no milk for tea or coffee and warm orange juice.
We didn't eat just drank and the cocktails took forever to make 15/20 minutes if someone offered me this for half price I,d not even stay again we had he nasal congestion for two days after,
Also walls paper thin and you could here everything maybe we got a dodgy room but I doubt it get it sorted !!!!!
I've stayed in 3 star hotels that are far nicer don't waste your money.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Beefy B,
I am disappointed to learn of the issues you experienced ,especially with your breakfast and the lengthy wait for your cocktails to be made. I wish to apologise for any inconvenience these may have caused.
In all of our bedrooms, temperature controls are provided to alter the in room temperature to your preference, for the convenience of our guests.
Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope your recent experience will not deter you from returning to The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast in the future.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Stayed bed and breakfast on an overnight. the location of the hotel is ideal for centre of the city with only short walks to mostly any shops and malls. Only a couple of hundred yards around the corner from the europa bus station.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vika6
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Stayed for 1 night with a wedding party. Mix up in the room bookings, but this was not the fault of the hotel. We needed two twins and two doubles, but ended up with all doubles. Rather than move rooms after checking in, we just asked the reception for some separate bedding. This request was never fulfilled.
Rooms are clean and of a generous size. Iron and board in our room which you don't often come accross. Proper hairdryer instead of a wall mounted one. Aircon worked well. Very comfortable bed.Choice of pillows noted in the welcome book. Chipped mosaic tiles in the bathroom which need replacing. Nice walk in shower + bath . Candle on the bathtub for those romantics amongst us. Complimentary toiletries- if you are going to use refillable soap/shampoo bottles, they should at least be cleaned of the previous guests residue !
The bar: We waited 40 minutes for a selection of drinks.The bar was reasonably busy, but the intensely annoying part was watching 3 or 4 other couples entering the bar and being served drinks before we received our order. A complaint to the bar manager was both fruitless and without any apology. Bungled orders followed and one waiter returned 3 times to confirm. We did however, receive one free cocktail, but the waiter informed us it was made by mistake so it was complimentary. Still no apology. The Guinness served was poor to say the least.
Breakfast was average and certainly not the standard or variety you would expect for a 4 star (apparently pushing for a fifth star). Hand dryer not working in the restaurant toilet, but when the waiter was informed, he told us the maintenance team knew about it the night before. If the hand dryer in the toilet is broken and everyone knows about it, you would think they would at least put some paper hand towels in temporarily.
Spoke with the duty manager on the morning of checkout regarding some of the above issues and received an apology.We suggested the 2 cooked breakfast charges were removed from the bride and grooms bill which was duly honoured. Reception staff were pleasant and helpful-shame the separate sheets request wasn't followed up.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SVIJANY
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Its never a good sign when a 5 star is on a discount website. The property was nice, food at bar was excellent. Bar tender was nice guy. Front desk staff was a bit pretentious. Rooms were nice and suited just fine. If it is discounted; stay here!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo