“Our little bit of heaven”

The Golden Elephant Thai Restaurant
Ranked #433 of 1,116 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 31, 2013

It may be boring to have a favourite restaurant when there are so many about but The Golden Elephant has become our go to spot for family outings and that's the whole family three generations comprising nine people quite often. Anniversaries and birthdays get The Golden Touch.
We've never done it but the staff can nearly write your order for you even down to the fact that some like Singha Beer and others Tiger. It is clean and warm. Usually the blinds are drawn as the evening sun shine right into the front window. The menu has a wide variety and the food is always beautifully cooked and maybe just as important presented. The reason we continue to frequent this place is that we are NEVER disappointed.

2  Thank NorthDownDogMan

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Just visited today to try business lunch. Staff efficient and friendly. Lunch portions not too big. Had Thai chicken salad. Tasty and easy to make at home.
Took beef red curry. Was really nice though not totally original Thai. Perhaps they can not get ingredients.Still well worth a visit. Looked at main menu and not overly expensive. Starters around £4.00,main courses around £10.00. So £20 should get you 3 course meal at night. Will try it soon.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I enjoy this restaurant at lunch times and it represents great value and a pleasant meal. It has just the right level of custom, you are never turned away and never sitting alone it always appears to be busy without you ever feeling rushed or crammed in. The table have bench seating on one side and chairs on the other and can accommodate 2s, 4s, 6s etc in linear fashion.
The service is polite and efficient and friendly and if Thai is new then they will happily explain the menu. The food is good and just right for lunch time, the set menu offers starter and main and a simple dessert and coffee can be added.
The menu is simple and if you visit often you will soon have tried it all if you vary your choice. On the other hand if you find what you like it will be a regular haunt.
I haven't sampled the evening menu when they open the upstairs for more relaxed dining but I would be encouraged to try it out based on the lunch time offerings.
It's not really a bar scene and my rating for that is an error, I would rather leave it blank(note to the editor) but it is a licenced premises with a reasonable choice.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We decided on golden elephant as it was nearer home with better parking than thai village. However, there was not much atmosphere althought there were quite a few Asian patrons. Hated the thin strips of chicken...in the soup and main course, would prefer decent chunks of chicken.
Noting terrible but probably the worst thai food I have eaten...and we have been eating Thia food for the past 10 years. The green curry just tasted sickly sweet ...v strange and different to thai green currys I have eaten in other restaurants. ..and not at all spicy (despite the menu saying it was hot). We also orderd chicken and thai basil dish, that was better but mostly due to loads of soya sauce.

4  Thank Pippi_elk
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This would be a regular of mine when back home, I am currently based in London.

My wife is Thai and appreciates the Thai language menu (there is Mandarin for any Chinese also), friendly Thai staff and large menu. I find it interesting a Thai National finds it totally authentic Thai food, but the Englishman below doesnt, I know whos opinion I will go on!

Only thing I could fault would be the location which isnt the most inspiring, but the food more than makes up for it!

2  Thank Tullynagardy