“Should be so much better”
Review of Deanes Restaurant

Deanes Restaurant
Ranked #108 of 1,056 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Golden Mile
Co Down
“Should be so much better”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I had lunch and found my experience similar to (several) past visits. Food was very good but service indifferent. I find Michael Deane aloof and unengaging. i once arrived and he was looking though the bookings and ignored me, waving me away saying someone else will look after you. I usually try to avoid but it is popular with some of my colleagues! Should be a much better experience as the food is always very good.

Dublin, Ireland
“delicious food”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

we recently visited Deane's restaurant on Howard St on a recommendation of a friend. Two tired adults and children at the end of a day's visit to Belfast, we opted for the pre-theatre menu. The food was absolutely delicious, one of the best meals I've ever eaten. We had a main course and desert each, and all the plates were cleared. I'm a vegetarian, and was very happy with the choice available. The children had roast chicken with gravy and potatoes.
The atmosphere was relaxed and comfortable, and the service was really good. They also ordered a taxi for us, that arrived on time. Not that happy that the gratuity was already added to the bill, but we would have chosen to give it anyway. Definitely a place to return to.

• Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Very Good”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We had a really nice meal here, was very nice. Tables were too close together for my liking and although its a romantic setting being so close to others takes away the intimacy a bit. Really enjoyed the food especially the scallops and the service was good also.

• Visited January 2013
Manningtree, United Kingdom
“Not a good as I'd hoped”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

On a business trip to Belfast I planned ahead and booked a table for the other half & myself at Deanes. Between us we had some excellent dishes but for me I was underwhelmed by my starter and main course.

At £9:50 the classic tomato broth and lobster caught my eye right away, but it was poor. My understanding of this dish is that the lobster and parsley come on a hot dish raw and then the piping hot broth poaches them. This dish had over cooked lobster already on the plate and the broth just wasn't hot enough so the parsley remained raw. To add insult to injury it needed a decent twist of seasoning from me which was sadly lacking. A dish like this is all about the finer points, this had non. The other half however had the pea velouté which was top drawer.

For the main course I teetered between Halibut and the Sirloin, actually ordered the halibut and changed my mind - mistake! The accompanying chips and veg were great but steak had a number of bits of grisle, decent taste but I nearly filled up the veg dish with the indelible bits. Now I know I was possibly a bit unlucky but this was a Wednesday night and the resturant was half empty so Michael Deane, check your steaks first. I made the waitress aware and showed her the pile of gristle, suggesting she should tell Chef. A little grunt from her told me he wouldn't find out. I'm not one of those asking for a discount, I wanted good food and without that a word from the head waiter would have been nice. He was French and, I believe, had a cob on so nothing from there.

The other half had the salted rump from the specials and it was great and I mean great. We shared the Lemon desert with coconut ice cream which was a delight as was the 2011 Sancerre.

The bill arrive at just under £125 and they received just under £125 plus a little note to the chef which I gave to the moody Frenchman hoping my points were taken on board. Having booked the table via email from the UK they have a contact email for me but, as yet, Chef has not commented.

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Best ever!!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Having travelled extensively throughout the World - and eaten in the best hotels and resturants, I can recommend Deanes as undoubtedly the best. All meals are prepared individually, using the best meat, fruit and vegetables; and I attribute my good health to my practice of eating regularly at Deanes. The staff are superb in knowledge of the various dishes and very helpful and courteous. Cleanliness is also excellent. It has a good spirit and atmosphere throughout.