“Not a good as I'd hoped”
Review of Deanes Restaurant

Deanes Restaurant
Ranked #108 of 1,073 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Golden Mile
Manningtree, United Kingdom
“Not a good as I'd hoped”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

On a business trip to Belfast I planned ahead and booked a table for the other half & myself at Deanes. Between us we had some excellent dishes but for me I was underwhelmed by my starter and main course.

At £9:50 the classic tomato broth and lobster caught my eye right away, but it was poor. My understanding of this dish is that the lobster and parsley come on a hot dish raw and then the piping hot broth poaches them. This dish had over cooked lobster already on the plate and the broth just wasn't hot enough so the parsley remained raw. To add insult to injury it needed a decent twist of seasoning from me which was sadly lacking. A dish like this is all about the finer points, this had non. The other half however had the pea velouté which was top drawer.

For the main course I teetered between Halibut and the Sirloin, actually ordered the halibut and changed my mind - mistake! The accompanying chips and veg were great but steak had a number of bits of grisle, decent taste but I nearly filled up the veg dish with the indelible bits. Now I know I was possibly a bit unlucky but this was a Wednesday night and the resturant was half empty so Michael Deane, check your steaks first. I made the waitress aware and showed her the pile of gristle, suggesting she should tell Chef. A little grunt from her told me he wouldn't find out. I'm not one of those asking for a discount, I wanted good food and without that a word from the head waiter would have been nice. He was French and, I believe, had a cob on so nothing from there.

The other half had the salted rump from the specials and it was great and I mean great. We shared the Lemon desert with coconut ice cream which was a delight as was the 2011 Sancerre.

The bill arrive at just under £125 and they received just under £125 plus a little note to the chef which I gave to the moody Frenchman hoping my points were taken on board. Having booked the table via email from the UK they have a contact email for me but, as yet, Chef has not commented.

• Visited September 2013

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Best ever!!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Having travelled extensively throughout the World - and eaten in the best hotels and resturants, I can recommend Deanes as undoubtedly the best. All meals are prepared individually, using the best meat, fruit and vegetables; and I attribute my good health to my practice of eating regularly at Deanes. The staff are superb in knowledge of the various dishes and very helpful and courteous. Cleanliness is also excellent. It has a good spirit and atmosphere throughout.

• Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Great food and great service”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This restaurant must be one of the best in Belfast. Situated in the University district the setting is perfect with service and food to match. The meal we shared with friends from Australia was of the highest standard and the friendly but knowledgeable service from the staff made for a really enjoyable evening.

Visited August 2013
Lee's Summit, Missouri
“Best champ I have ever eaten”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

So, seems like a strange header for such a nice restaurant, but really, it was delicious and creamy and yum. We had a party of 5 and shared a couple of bottles of wine with our meal. It was not too crowded, but had several large parties. Atmosphere was nice, waiter was attentive. Food was good. Dessert was very nice. Good place to bring a business party.

• Visited August 2013
Manistique
“Scallops good but nothing special”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We were looking for a good seafood restaurant and chose Deanes. All three of us ordered 4 scallops (you are charged per scallop). They were good but nothing special, we've had better at other places. We weren't impressed.

• Visited August 2013