“Excellent pre-theatre menu”

Neighborhood: Queen's Quarter
Derry, United Kingdom
“Excellent pre-theatre menu”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We dined here on a Thursday evening. Our starters and mains were selected from the pre-theatre menu. Both courses were delicious which included one of the most exciting goats cheese salad I've seen! Service was very professional and efficient. Michael Deane was there in his chef's uniform - it's good to see the main man taking an active role! We also thought we spotted a well known food critic who presents on TV walking in... All in all this is a great restaurant and we will definitely return.

• Visited May 2014

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
“Something for everyone”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Had a highly enjoyable lunch here recently. Opted for the cod and squid in a thai broth. It was beautifully light and had just the right amount of spicing. Shared a most unusual dessert afterwards - custard stuffed doughnuts on a bed of crushed pistachio and chocolate mousse. The ultimate fantasy pud, and it didn't disappoint- was just as amazing as it sounded. Have been here before and they seem to change their menu quite regularly so there'll always be something novel to order. They seem to keep up to date with all the latest cooking techniques. All four of us were satisfied with our meal. Service was formal but friendly.

“Excellent!”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Went on a Monday evening. Had not intended to come here but our other choices were not open. Thank goodness we did. The menu was extensive. The restaurant was quite empty, but there was still a good atmosphere. Our servers were all very helpful. The food was delicious. We will be back

• Visited May 2014
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant dining experience”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We were on a totally unplanned visit to Belfast and decided to have lunch at Deanes. Everything was great. Pleasant atmosphere, great food, outstanding service. Just a couple of things which irritated us a little and these occurred after the meal. Deanes add a 10% "tip" to you bill automatically. Now I personally hate this. If service is good I will always tip, usually around 10% but, to have it taken from me without asking, is a bit much. I was given a feedback card to complete but was not given a pen. So I brought the card home and with a lot of luck I might remember to bring it with me the next time I visit Deanes. So Deanes management, if you're reading this: let me decide how much to tip if I want to and leave a pen if you want feedback.
If you want a really good meal at a reasonable price, this is a good restaurant to visit. We have visited before and will be back again.

“Nice birthday lunch”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Visited for birthday lunch with my family, had haddock fishcakes and a seafood risotto. Both were delicious. My parents had fish and chips which were good sized portions and very tasty. Service was attentive and friendly.