“What has gone wrong with Deans.”
Review of Deane's at Queens

Deane's at Queens
Ranked #87 of 1,050 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Queen's Quarter
Kerry
“What has gone wrong with Deans.”
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Mr Dean. Listen to your customers.

Very arrogant to charge a compulsory service charge. Can I ask for what. The customer should decide. The service is not good. The quality of food is now basic.

It is great to see that someone is opening new restaurants in Belfast. But at what cost. Standards are slipping. What a shame.

There are much better places that do not charge a service charge within 5 mins walk.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank edmond s

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Better restaurants within walking distance.”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I have been to Deanes several times over the years since it opened and to be honest I have never really had a good eating experience. Unfortunately, a business lunch earlier this week was exactly the same. Number one, the place was deserted, no atmosphere. Number two, again I continually found fault with the food. Service was good but then there was nobody in this vast restaurant. I was a guest at the lunch so I do not know if a lunch menu was offered but we ordered off the a la carte, which even in the evening would be expensive for the quality of the food.

It was not all bad. The bread and olive mix provided at the start were lovely. I order the plaice off the specials which was served with samphire, prawns and some form of kale. The sauce was beautiful but two main things let the dish down. They didn't use fresh local prawns, which for the price of the dish was unacceptable. Also the chef had obviously not tasted the kale as it had leaf ribs that were inedible and sharper than the fish bones. The staff didn't bother asking the two of us who had the plaice why we had left it on the plate.

Others in the party had more success with their dishes and the pork belly was declared delicious. We did not stay for dessert which were again a very expensive £6.50 each. All I can say in conclusion is that I am glad I wasn't paying.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank PurpleKim1
Quimper, France
“nearly there”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The staff was a bit too personal and the restaurant a bit coldish in its design, but the risotto was perfect. We were served fast and had a lot in our plates. Not an upscale restaurant but you definitely have a really good meal for your money.

Visited October 2012
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Birthday treat”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Visited Deanes at Queens on Sunday 1st September for my birthday lunch. We were served by a very nice scottish waiter who was chatty but professional. I don't really understand why another reviewer would think he was 'over-familiar', but I suppose it depends on what your expectations are. This was our first time eating here and we were impressed. The decor is lovely, very clean-cut and spacious. The tables are far enough apart that you feel like you have privacy, not like some other restaurants that cram people close together. The food was lovely, I had the pork belly which was cooked beautifully and full of flavour, and my partner had the steak which he enjoyed. I have to say however, the reason I can't give it 5 out of 5 is because of two things. We both thought the steak was a little over-priced in comparison to the rest of the menu, and also adding 10% tip automatically to the bill for a table for 2 was a bit presumptuous.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Amyaregee
“Second time will be last”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Over familiar Scottish waiter ruined experience. Very arrogant and rude with what he must think is a cheeky chappy personality . Just rude and not to the standard I expect. Food was good but adding service to a table for two is a disgrace. Tips should be earned not expected. This is probably why their staff think they are somebody and why I definately will not return to any of deanes establishments.

• Visited August 2013