“Cant beat it....”

Ranked #84 of 1,108 Restaurants in Belfast
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2013

had a lovely night here on sat 25th May.... this was my 3rd visit and it cant really be topped.. We would go here if we are headed out drinking for the night, you can eat enough to make you full but not too heavy - going with a crowd is best or at least 3 or 4 as you can all order a few dishes and share... our waitress (Amanda) was very helpful and was always onhand to assist us... The food is delish... i would suggest the meatballs - and the prosecco - lovely and reasonably priced... We had a lovely meal, and for food and drinks for 8 of us including tip it only worked out at £30 each.... great value for money...

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I should point out before I start my review, that this is the first review I've ever given to a hotel or restaurant in all my years of travel, so compelled I was to share my experience.

I arrived at the restaurant with my brother on Saturday around 4.30 p.m. after a long day of shopping as I thought it would be a good location for a nice meal given it's large outdoor seating area (which we wanted to take advantage of since we so rarely have warm, sunny days in Belfast!)

The outside space was fairly packed at this point, I imagine due to their pre-theatre/early evening offer that ran until 5 p.m. After waiting 10 minutes for a seat, a waitress eventually offered us a choice of 2 tables outside that could seat 4 people which were both situated near to the entrance to the indoor area of the restaurant. After another 5/10 minute wait, we were told by another waiter that we had to move tables as there was a party of 4 people who needed our table, so we were shunted to the corner of the terrace area to sit at, what was basically a barrell with 2 bar stools.

I wasn't too happy with this as we had already been offered a choice of tables by one of his colleagues only to be ignored for 10 minutes until we were told we had to move. What made this move even more annoying was the fact that 2 more tables became free almost immediately after our relocation (these tables could have accommodated 6 people each) and there were no other customers waiting to be seated.

After these problems I was looking forward to finally being able to enjoy my food, however that was to be a rather foolish assumption on my part as we waited another 15 minutes during which (surprise, surprise) we were totally ignored again. So after around 30 minutes the only interaction we had with the staff was to be offered a table and then shunted to a different "table" in the corner of the terrace.

I got the impression that they were either understaffed, or for some odd reason as we would say in Belfast "they didn't like the cut of our jibb". By this point the time was after 5 p.m. and even if we had've managed to complete mission impossible and order some drinks at least, it would've been too late to take advantage of the offer. Was this a cynical ploy by the restaurant to have us pay more money by deliberately make us hang around until after the 5 p.m. cut-off time? Well, the restaurant will have to answer that for themselves, but we didn't hang around to find out!

I have to say this was the worst "dining" experience I've ever had (well I say dining, but we didn't actually get to dine!) and I certainly will never be giving this place an opportunity in the future to showcase their food. Tripadvisor makes you give at least a one star rating, otherwise I would've given it zero.

2  Thank Gazfunk
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I won't eat here again. The food was bland and overpriced. Not a spaniard in sight! The wine was OK though.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We had been to The Waterfront and popped in for wine and a cheese board on our way back to our hotel. Lovely atmosphere, wonderful friendly service. Decided to return the following night. Greeted by the staff like old friends. We ate outside both nights. Delicious food. A little gem of a place indeed. We're telling everyone about. If you're in The Cathedral Quarter in Belfast for a wknd, 2Taps WineBar is a MUST. :-)

Reviewed May 17, 2013

What more can I say, visited the place over a year ago at a work do and have been back at least 8 times since with family and friends, tapas are wonderful, payella better than you get in Spain, drink not over priced and sangria excellent also...staff...10/10

1  Thank belfast-spy