“Very Disappointed ”

Swansea, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Disappointed ”
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

I visited the restaurant last evening (Friday 24th January). The menu had changed since my last visit, and didn't look as interesting as before. I ordered the Soup to start, as nothing else seemed to wet my appetite, I decided to follow this with the Fillet of beef, which is priced at £23.95.

The soup of the day was French onion. The taste was not what I was expecting and was not served with the usual croutons and cheese that you would typically expect from a traditional French onion soup. The taste was similar to gravy with added onions. My mother chose the same, and was similarly disappointed.

My main course, the fillet of beef was another disappointment. The fillet was very small (cooked beautifully though) and the accompanying mash was served in a small saucepan, reminiscent of my nieces dolls house. As a food lover I don't mind paying a premium for any food, but it has to live up to its price tag. This did not. The side of chips that I ordered were clearly the frozen variety, yet another disappointment from a restaurant which used to serve up a great meal, and surely should be serving real home made chips.

After such a disappointing meal we opted to take the bill rather than stay for dessert.

Used to really look forward to visiting this restaurant with is great surroundings and very helpful staff. The food is disappointing and It will be a very long time before I visit again unfortunately.

1 Thank MattSims

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Indifferent food and a dire vegetarian option”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Went for birthday lunch and had a good time because of the company & not the food. The restaurant is a lovely, impressive space though was only just warm enough. It's a big room and there were very few diners so the ambience was a bit lacking. The staff are friendly and helpful & the service is good. The food was very disappointing and the portions mostly on the mean side though the beef pie & chips was a reasonable size. The sole veggie choice was an aubergine, spinach and cream cheese thing that was completely dreary and curiously tasteless. The only redeeming feature was the small quantity buttery mashed potato strangely served in a doll's sized saucepan on the side. The other mains were mediocre, the puddings better but overall very disappointing.

• Visited January 2014
united kingdom
“excellent”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Food is top class had not complaints at all would highly recommend. Especially the steak, it was the best one i have had for a long time, very reasonable to

Visited January 2014
“Huge disappointment”
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

I had visited Morgans almost two years ago with my husband and friends on a weekend for sociable drinks and cocktails, which was a pleasant evening. We had a great night, service was average nothing special, but the atmosphere was good, and an ok selection of champagne and cocktails. 4 bottles of Veuve later we left, and only until last night went back. Sadly, I was hugely disappointed. As soon as we entered we were met by two large groups of (heavy) drinkers, one group of obnoxious women singing loudly for hours, and one group of intimidating, lairy hooligans. There were no staff to greet us, nor were they discouraging the other vile customers from scaring other guests away.
Once we found a table with four seats we ordered drinks from the bar, where at least 4 scruffy staff were stood in a huddle chatting amongst themselves, they weren't friendly or welcoming, or even grateful for the business which as I believe is clearly not booming, whether this is solely down to the recession I doubt, but they might want to appreciate what little business they do get and discourage unpleasant groups from scaring newcomers away. It's very sad that this nice bar has simply gone downhill. It's such a shame as we went there on the presumption it would be as good as it was the previous time- we were mistaken.

“Poor attitude to young diners”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We booked a lunch time meal here to catch up with family over Christmas. I have to say I was very disappointed with the attitude towards my 8 year old daughter. She was not offered a child's menu but told she could order off the adults menu. Unfortunately she did not like the starters on offer so I asked them for some garlic bread, which they said they did not have! So I asked for some bread rolls - which they did not have( despite there being side plates and butter knives on the table!) they told me they would look for some bread and eventually came back with a slice for her. She chose steak of the menu which they said she could only have the adult portion- why they could not just a cut a piece in half was beyond me! Then for dessert she wanted just plain ice cream and yet again there was none! I understand that Christmas is a busy time but as this is supposedly classed as a five star hotel you would expect a better quality of service and attitudes to younger guests. It particularly annoyed me as the large party in the restaurant at the time seemed to be offering their younger guests more child friendly foods , so these things were obviously available! Also the standard of cleanliness in the ladies toilets left a lot to be desired! Come on Morgans start acting more like a five star hotel that you supposedly are!!!!!