“Disappointed and extremely overpriced canteen food.. Such a shame.. Honest opinion given”

Castellamare Restaurant & Cafe Bar
Ranked #16 of 687 Restaurants in Swansea
Cuisines: Italian, British
Good for: Special occasions, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Italian and British Restaurant, Cafe Bar and Function Room overlooking Bracelet Bay and Mumbles Lighthouse. Indoor and outdoor seating. Fully licensed. Ample Car & Coach Parking in adjacent council car park. Children's outdoor play area. Cafe Bar serves breakfast (9.45am until 11.15am), pizzas, pastas, snacks, children's meals, ice creams & drinks. Restaurant has a 2 course Lunch Special and a daily specials board - includes steaks, fish, chicken, & pastas. Extensive wine list. Reservations recommended. Great selection of vegetarian food, some gluten free options too. Function room for 40-70 people. Open 7 days a week.
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I was so looking forward to eating here over the August bank holiday and when I asked the young lady who was taking the good orders if the pasta dish contained any hard cheese as it has animal renet in it and I am a struck vegetarian this immediately became a saga where I had to wait for someone to check with the kitchen in front if a never ending line of Hungary people getting frustrated with my request. I was assured snd placed my order and a order if scampi and chips and a child's meal which came to almost £38 with drinks.. We was served quite quickly but when my pasta arrived I was somewhat surprised my my small portion but glad I paid almost £4 fir Bread which included an additional 50p for oil?? Ok we are our food and my husband never complains but even he was shocked at the little portion he had and was surprised that I insisted on eating here. His words was he had better food in a supermarket when he has been in work.. I did inform the member if staff and her immediate reaction was one of disinterest and her actual words were "I almost always fail to eat a portion of pasta' which just made me feel very uncomfortable..however on my return from the dark and inadequate dated toilets she offered us drinks or a desert as a goodwill gesture.. My husband and daughter had drinks and as I'm a strict vegetarian the only desert I was able to eat was a scone.. This was brought immediately and seemed to have been warmed in a microwave. It was the cheapest lacking in taste cake I have ever had and I would have been even more annoyed if I paid around £3 for this.. I'm sorry to sound so ungrateful but my hard earned money could have been spent on quality food and I wouldn't have battered an eye lid but it was spent on poor quality food and I left promising myself never to return.. It's such a shame as its in the perfect setting but management take heed and sit up pin your lug holes back and take notice.. You need to change a dated menu which is almost 10 years old and if someone is paying £9 for a pasta dish please have the decency to serve good quality fresh pasta not supermarket cheapest brands.. I have had better meals in restaurants which offer two meals for £10 and are usually ping restaurants which kitchen staff have no cooking skills and their only skill is microwave (ping) cooking.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,164)

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We have been to this restaurant many times, but the last visit was to celebrate a Family birthday. The waiters made us feel very welcome and even sang happy birthday when they brought in the cake which we had brought with us. Food excellent, no complaints from anyone and we were a large party.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

lovely location recommended by freinds food did not live up to expectations, prawn cocktail was well presented but unfortunately was tasteless, steak was cooked nice but meal came with no garnish just a very small side dish with a few frozen chips.
very expensive for what you received every veggie you ordered had to be paid for separately
although the waiters were polite they did not make us feel welcome, we had booked the table for our freinds birthday and I asked them for a birthday cake and received 4 pieces of cheese cake with a candle stuck in one piece not worth 158.00 would not go back.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I love this place!!! Great views, great food, easy parking. I have been visiting here for more years than I can remember 10+ and take every opportunity to visit. Good for couples, friends and family. Choice of food between the Cafe and the main restaurant. Fresh food always and fantastic ice cream!!

Waiters are efficient - not overly friendly in the main restaurant but the food makes up for it!

Highly recommended.

1  Thank Julian C
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Such a nice location, terrible food, horrible waiters, very rude and miserable, had the kids and could hear the kitchen staff shouting and swearing! Very disappointed