“Bog Standard!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Swansea
South Wales
“Bog Standard!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2010

ROOM 420 - Really looked forward to our night, but was very disappointed. Room smelled like toilet/sewage. Furniture filthy, make up table, drawers and handles were dirty and sticky! No 'designer' toiletries as specified by website (just a tiny soap). Only a 'sticky' menu for the restaurant, nothing for the pub, nothing for room service. No pricelist etc for the health spa (for massage). Not even information in case of fire! Huge gap under the bathroom door.

I expected more to this hotel. Had much nicer 'cooked' breakfast in other hotels. After having a lovely afternoon/evening in Swansea, we returned to hotel at approx 11.30pm. I asked reception for a menu for room service. I was told this service finishes at 9.30! The website states 24 hour room service. She told us to ring for a takeaway if we were hungry.

All in all, not the best accommodation and I would never rate as 4 star. Been to nicer 3 stars in the area. What a shame.

On a good note, the SA1 area is still under construction, but is going to be gorgeous when finished. Just a few minutes walk from here is a gorgeous restaurant La Parilla, a Thai restaurant and a beautiful art gallery/wine bar called Ice House. Lovely seating outside. From there, you can walk over the bridge and will arrive at the bottom of Wine Street, for more bars and restaurants.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Loveatrip7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

I made my way to The Village with some trepidation as the organiser of a long weekend for a group of twenty guys and having just read the last few reviews here but I shouldn't have worried. Everyone thought it was great and perfect for our requirements as a base for a golfing trip.

It is clean and comfortable and the breakfast is very good. True there is building work in the vicinity but that's only an issue if you are going for the views from the room otherwise it is of no consequence.

It is a fifteen minute walk from the city centre but if that's a problem the hotel will arrange a very reasonably priced taxi ( 7 seater @ 50p each!! ).

I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2010
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2010

Staff very friendly and easy check-in procedure.

Room basic - hence the title of this review.
Our room had a large gap at the bottom of the bathroom door.

Website does not inform you that there are restrictions on times when children can use the pool facilities which was very disappointing as this was the main reason we stayed at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2010

Close to Swansea town centre, this hotel has everything you could wish for. Rooms are spacious, comfortable and clean with tea/coffee making facilities. A coffee shop on the ground floor, a restaurant and a bar that also serves excellent food. A pool with Sauna , Turkish steam room and a jacuzzi and a decent sized gym and fitness room, should you want to join in with a class. You may need to make use of these facilities after sampling one of their breakfasts! Great selection and as much as you want.
Everyone was most helpful and whenever we visit family in the area, this is the place we always stay. Give them your e-mail address and they will let you know of some amazing offers they do throughout the year.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
London United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2010

I booked a twin room on the 18th April for myself and a colleague. We arrived and the entire area remains a building site! The views of the harbour are simply of a giant pile of dirt obscuring the harbour and perhaps in years to come it will be lovely but right now... Not so much!!

At check in a casual greeting followed by us being informed that the dinner bed and breakfast option we had been given was not possible in the restuarant and the pub was the only thing open that night for food. We declined this option as pubs at the best of times tend to be noisey and loud and we were needing to prep for a very important business meeting in the morning. Having phoned theday of booking the room I was not informed of this and would have arranged other accomodation had I been informed.

We then went to the first room we were given to find tooth paste splattered all over the bathroom floor under the basin. I didn't even look around the room further and picked up my bags and vacated this room as my thoughts were that if the room was obviously dirty with something like that I could only imagine what the rest was like which might not have been so obvious!!!

We then asked for a new room and were moved to a "Disabled" room 210. I attach the photos of the broken phone - with the ear hair and ear wax in the well of the head set - the pillow that was on the bed - with fresh bodily fluids attach oh the delight! - and finally the LOVELY ring of black mould around the drainage on the SINK! Lovely when you need to shave in the morning water mixed with black mould YUMMY!

I asked for another room and was informed they would rectify the problem in our current room and there was no need to move. Upon returning that night at past 11pm, I was informed by the receptionist that the duty manager who was in fact also the GENERAL MANAGER - Matt McCormick - had PERSONALLY checked the room and found these issues to not be problems and I quote the manager's message through the receptionist that "we were being difficult"... I then explained to the receptionist that at £99 a night I wanted a clean room and they got it wrong the first time with room 317 and the second time with room 210 and now the general manager was saying the filth and squalor of room 210 was acceptable and I - as the paying guest - did not find it acceptable and asked to be moved. We were moved to the last room available and this room 305 was the cherry on the cake!!

The twin beds were pushed together when we walked into the room so I moved the beds apart to seperate them, only to find a COCKROACH TRAP UNDER THE BED which was FILLED WITH COCKROACHES (one of which was still moving I might add!!!!) and even a stray tablet of some kind inside the trap amongst the COCKROACHES! Also under the bed was a collection of delights included broken ciagerettes, chocolate wrappers, used condom wrappers and various other dirt and papers etc. SO MUCH FOR FOUR STAR ACCOMODATION!!!!

The black mould appeared again THROUGHOUT the bathroom - see photos for room 305 - and the final straw was the fact in the middle of the night I felt something in my bed and turned on the light to find three cockroaches were on my colleagues pillow and two were in my bed!!! Obviously after that no rest was had as I am phobic about cockroaches and she was beyond hysterical given these disgusting COCKROACHES were on her pillow and in her hair etc... At 2am I was not going to find another room as when reporting cockroaches were in my room earlier to the night reception clerk I was advised that they were aware of the problem and were not able to do anything about it... SHOCKING that a pest infested room was in fact rented to a member of the public AND THAT THEY TOOK MY MONEY FOR THE ROOM AFTER THIS!!!!

Upon complaining at 10am the next morning, I was informed by the Duty Manager I had to stand around waiting for for twenty minutes that there was CLEARLY an issue with room 305 and I pointed out that the General manager of the hotel had thought there was NO issue with the rooms as he had personally checked them! I advised the duty manager that someone needed more training either he or the house keeping or the general manager as clearly this was not acceptable. I was then promptly charged the full amount and not offered any form of expliantion or compensation OR EVEN AN APOLOGY!!!!

Personally I think that manager needs to have his health and safety training again and to actually perhaps learn how it is someone is meant to deal with customers and provide a clean safe and healthy environment in a three star hotel for the paying public!!!! I was HORRIFIED at how poorly he - the manager - treated me and the staff could not have cared less about my issues of cleanliness and not once did anyone say that they were sorry for the trouble this had caused. It seemed that as long as you had given them your credit card upon arrival that you could then just go away and accept what they gave you and simply shut up and be grateful for the unsafe unhealthy squalor you have to pay to "enjoy". Oh and they charged me the full rate anyway despite all of the horrendous issues!!

YOUR HOUSEKEEPING team all need to be sacked or in fact actually trained to clean!!! WHAT ON EARTH is going on there!!!

I have alo forwarded this email to the various toursim boards as they have a lot t oanswer for your being able to purport to be a four star hotel! I think a DRASTIC investigation needs to be undertaken by them into the manner in which you have and continue to run your hotel as clearly your methods of running the hotel are CLEARLY reflected on http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186466-d630059-Reviews-Village_Swansea-Swansea_Southern_Wales_Wales.html as once your hotel was number on in Swansea and now it is number 12 out of 35 hotels ranking BEHIND the SHore line hotel which is charging out at £70 a night per room and they CERTAINLY have not invested the VAST amount of money in establishing their hotel as you have!!!! Your investors in this hotel MUST BE HORRIFIED as what is going on over there and I hope that they actually hear of this complaint so they can try and restore this hotel to what it was intended to be!! (Obviously that ranking is prior to my posting a review on this site so your position might have slipped even more!!!

In addition to copying this email to the tourism boards I have had no choice but to also forward this to the Swansea Town Council Health and Safety boards as the mould issues this hotel has, together with the DISGUSTING pest control issues they have in certain rooms, are entirely unacceptable and I am not even certain of the legalities of renting out rooms in this state to the general public. I have also asked the Council to send a health inspector to this establishment to establish how it is we were put in a pest infested room as your management refused to comment on that point to me. Your hotel did nothing to rectify the situation even when the matter was raised with your reception within minutes/hours of this happening and all they did in fact do was charge me the full room rate and I was beyond horrified by the enter experience!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank John C
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2010

Well, this is the first time I've felt the need to write a review- although I use Tripadvisor all the time. I need to stay in Swansea ocassionally to visit family and had recently had the "pleasure" of staying at the IBIS, which is possibly the closest you can get to GDR authenticity in the UK- I thought it couldn't get much worse-until we stayed at the Village.

Anyone booking this hotel needs to be aware it is on an industrial estate, so a car is essential. I knew the location, whch wasn't an issue for me. We checked in- well, attempted to. At three PM [the hour you are supposed to check in from] we were told there were only disabled rooms available [which have a walk-in adapted shower with seat, no bath and extra-low sinks] as not all the rooms had been cleaned. Given that we were in no hurry, we asked if we could be allocated another room once available, and return to the hotel later that evening, which was agreed. When we came back at six, we were given another room. This had a piece of black felt up at the window, secured by two elastic bands, instead of a curtain. Reception didn't apologise for this- they just said "Oh". The next room [the only other one available] hadn't been cleaned properly and someone had left a welcome present in the toilet. Reception again didn't apologise, just seemed vacant.

This hotel has aspirations to be a stylish, boutique-type trendy place to stay in Swansea. In reality, it is cheaply furnished, poorly cleaned and lacking in good service. Only stay if you get a supremely good rate- or they pay you!

• Stayed March 2010
2 Thank barrymanilowUk
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2010

Poor service, too many other people milling about trying to get served. A fake pub and a building that looks like it will last for a only a decade but stay there much longer. I don't want to hear the aerobics class music and trainer whilst I am in my room at 7pm or 7am. It makes you want to get out and go for a walk but then you end up in a building site.

Wake up to a grim, mean breakfast and a mug on the table with the spoon stuck in it. Stir and plonk on the table; it summed up the place's whole approach

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business