“Not a maritime museum”

National Waterfront Museum
Ranked #14 of 123 things to do in Swansea
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Stroller parking
Reviewed July 5, 2014

The museum is fascinating with lots of interactive displays, geared towards making education fun. Helpful greeter and free admission! Nice place to spend of hours on a rainy day, a must for a visit to Swansea. Clean toilets and nice coffee shop.

Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

..it's not a maritime museum as I expected. It is a social history museum of Wales. Lots of displays on the first floor, badly displayed and rather gloomy and old fashioned, in spite of the attractive building it is housed in. There's no meet and greet at the door, the signage makes no sense to me, and the staff are lethargic. Go to St Fagans outdoor museum, the Big Pit or National Museum Cardiff instead ; they're all fascinating and I've found them far happier and rewarding places to spend a day in.

5  Thank Richard C
HeadofMuseum, General Manager at National Waterfront Museum, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

I am very sorry that you were disappointed by your visit to the museum. Most of our visitors find the way we tell the story of industry and innovation in Wales from a human perspective to be very engaging -especially with the interactive multi-media interpretation we use. I am also sorry that you missed the displays and temporary exhibitions throughout the ground floor of the museum, along with our busy shop, cafe and fully-staffed Reception area. As there are three entrances to the building the recommended visitor route can sometimes be obscured because there is so much to see and do. Please contact me at the museum to discuss the staffing issues you encountered on the day of your visit, as this is the first such comment I have heard since the museum opened eight years ago.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Totally agree with another reviewer who described this place as style over substance, that was our experience in a nutshell. The building is modern, all glass and very impressive looking. Once inside we struggled to find our way around and found it covered a vast number of subjects in a lightweight way. Enjoyed the transport gallery but that was about it really. The other galleries barely touched on their subjects, the film shows were somewhat confusing and the whole place focuses more on presentation than content. Disappointing and would not recommend.

Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

We came here thinking this museum may be based around waterfront history, such as sailing and boating but when we got inside it was the entire history of industrial Wales. Also there were lifestyle displays. I found there was so much to see and learn, but my husband thought it was too big and waited a while for me to go around. The shop was great. We found so many bits and pieces for souvenirs. Would go back if in Swansea again.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Been to this museum many times before, the building is very spacious. There is also a nice cafe and lots of interactive exhibits about Swansea. This is a very nice museum!

1  Thank Clare M