“Avoid Saturday night if you want a decent sleep and no 5 minute walk”
Review of Ibis Swansea

Ibis Swansea
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Swansea
Reviewed June 20, 2010

Check-in was smooth once the receptionist had finished her dual role of bar-maid.

The room was small by comparison with other budget chains and there was no bath, but there was a shower.

I'd booked a family room and the bed for the children consisted of a double sofa-bed which they were not impressed with. This was not made up on arrival and the receptionist-barmaid (and now housekeeper) made the bed up with a couple of sheets and a blanket (no duvet) 10 minutes after we checked in.

We had one of the rooms over-looking the main road to Swansea and yes it is noisy. In fact you may be forgiven for thinking that you had left a window open because the double-glazing is that poor.

However, after a late night I was able to forget about the road (and it became quieter with less traffic any way). My sleep was however ruined by two groups of inconsiderate clubbers / hen/stag parties arriving back at the hotel in the early hours of the morning. When I mentioned this at check-out the receptionist was really surprised as if this had never happened before.

Forgetting about the quality of sleep, the one thing that did annoy me was that the Accor website stated this hotel as being a 5 minute walk from the city center. They need to revise that to a 5 minute drive at 11 o'clock at night. During the day the road into town is very busy and in 5 minutes walking you'd probably just get as far as the 'Welcome to Swansea' sign. But, I gave the location a good rating as it worked for me.

Served a purpose but won't stay again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 6, 2010

Thank you for your feedback, we treat all comments with the upmost seriousness and will be
investigating the matter accordingly.
Kind regards,

Reviewed May 24, 2010

Great place for a group of friends going to swansea for Golf or going out on a night out...

Shower was good, bathroom clean... the beds were pretty basic slatted bed.... I would not take the wife though,,,,

Enjoy

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 6, 2010

Thank you for posting your thoughts on here. We really value your feedback.

Reviewed May 16, 2010

Stayed over the May holiday weekend. Its standard IBIS fare - it was a bar near reception which whilst expensive, was welcome. Its 5 minutes in a taxi from Swansea Town Centre (fare currently £5.10) or a 20 minute walk. The rooms were very basic, but clean. While we were there the hotel was being used by a couple of stag parties (Swansea was really busy with stag and hen parties, I hadn't seen anything like it). They all came in in late ( 3.30 am ) and woke us all up and kept us awake for some time. The hotel staff could have done more to deal with it, but I suppose this sort of thing is to be expected in a budget hotel.

The buffet breakfast was very very basic and you really would want to get in early for food and not after most of the food has been eaten or pushed around the plates by others.

Not my favourite stay, but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 6, 2010

Thank you for your comments, we can assure you the matter is being looked in to and will
be dealt with accordingly.

Reviewed April 25, 2010

I like somewhere to stay that's clean and tidy on a budget but must say I prefer Premier Inn to Ibis.
No carpet on the floor made it a bit cold.
We were facing the main traffic and it was noisy if the window was opened.
Only a shower with a head that didn't move which was a bit awkward for me.
We were only given one pillow each but when I asked for two more the gentleman on the desk gave me them with no problem.
Asked the lady on the desk for a taxi number and she phoned the taxi for us, was reasonably priced too.
Bed was big enough and clean.
We booked it for my friend's wedding and if I had the choice, I would probably stay in the Premier Inn in the centre of town next time - otherwise I would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 6, 2010

Thank you for posting your thoughts on here. We really value your feedback.

Reviewed April 11, 2010

Booked into the Ibis due to its proximity to the town centre as we had booked into a local restaurant for a family meal. Upon arrival the hotel looked OK but when we got to our rooms (x3 double) we were disappointed.
Even thought we had booked twin rooms we were given doubles. In my room the lightbulb blew on the bedside lamp and in order to get the kettle to work you had to hold the flex as a 30 degree angle. The sofa in the room was covered in stains and the room itself overlooked a busy road (this was not mentioned on their website).
The worst thing about the hotel is the calibre of guests who go there. Not wishing to sound like a kill-joy but due to the price of the rooms and its location several hen/stag night or just drinking parties were staying at the hotel. This led to a lot of door slamming/ knocking and general noise from 11.30 - 3.00am! To make things worse the language used by some of the guests was a bit 'blue' to say the least - which was not great as we had 3 young children in our party.
I did mention this to the manager in the morning who told me that we should have complained during the night. Unfortunately, the young lads in question were so drunk and unruly I was too scared to look outside the door to see which room they were in. Especially after one of the conversations involved one of the guys being in a fight, covered in blood and loosing his shirt!
Apart from the noise - the rooms were very basic and the noisy ventilation system and the road just didn't assist with trying to get some sleep.
On a more positive note the staff were very friendly if not over-worked! The same lady ran reception/worked in the bar and also cleared the breakfast dishes in the morning.....but was very helpful and polite. The breakfast was an experience - the bread for the toast was frozen in the middle, the bread rolls were under cooked and the 'cooked' option was a help yourself nightmare! Not the best value.
I would not recommend this hotel for a quiet night away but if you are a young person who likes getting drunk, making noise and has no consideration for other guests then this is the perfect place for you!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 9, 2010

I am sorry on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback
with the utmost seriousness and am currently investigating the matter. Please feel free to
contact me at the hotel to discuss this further. Kind regards, Jacek Bialy

Reviewed April 6, 2010

Stayed here for a night over the Easter weekend. As budget hotels go this does what is says on the tin. £37 per room per night you cannot go wrong. Okay, the hotel is about 2 miles from the city centre and there is nothing within a mile of the hotel except a McDonalds and a garage, but what else do you need/expect when on a budget. The bar area was smart, beer good and the complimentary newspapers are a nice touch. The rooms were clean, tv offerred a good selection of free-to-air channels and tea and coffee making facilities were a bonus. Staff were also polite, helpful and generally efficient in their duties.

Perhaps i expect too little of a budget hotel (?), but having stayed in numerous travelodges and a few Ibis now, I would stay Ibis everytime.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 6, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay
and look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards, Nicola Moir

Reviewed January 4, 2010

Pleasant welcome - got put in a smoking room when i'd asked for a non smoking. Decor is now several years old and showing its age. Room clean, comfortable, if a bit spartan. Non smoking room was much better. Internet service is expensive and staff didn't really help me access it. Location is not great - on edge of city, no views. BUT it's much better value for money than many places in Swansea. Nice people. It's quieter than most places too. Will stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 6, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your visit to Ibis Swansea. I’m
delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the smoking room and internet, which we are addressing. For you information if you request a room on the second floor car park side you get a lovely view of the sea. I look forward to welcoming you back soon
Kind regards, Nicola Moir