“I never give places 5 star but Mela's an exception (long-ish review ahead!)”
Review of Mela - CLOSED

Mela
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
“I never give places 5 star but Mela's an exception (long-ish review ahead!)”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

As an amateur foodie/student who's pretty low on cash (since it's almost the end of term), eating out is a real treat and I must say me and my friends I do not regret coming to Mela tonight.

First of all, I have to admit I'm not a big fan of Indian cuisine as I find it too oily, but that's not the case here. The service was also excellent, really friendly without being intrusive and the place was spotless which is a nice change to the sticky pub tables we were used to.

Despite the fact that it was quite busy, we were served quickly and our food arrived promptly. I had the house special biryani which was superb; the portion size was generous (a huge plus here as I was famished and have quite a big appetite normally anyway) and it was cooked to perfection without being too salty or oily.

After we finished our meals, we sat for a little while to talk. Being the stingy students that we are, we only ordered a jug of tap water to share and after it was empty, a fresh jug was brought to us straight away without having to ask. Now, this may seem trivial but from personal experience very few establishments pay this kind of attention to small tables spending less than £10 per head and it was really appreciated. Even better, as we were about to leave, we were offered complimentary drinks on the house, a fantastic way to finish off an excellent meal.

I know this is probably a bit tl;dr but to sum it up: great food, brilliant service in a clean and cosy establishment. What's even better is right now they have an offer of starter and main course for mere £7.95!

1 Thank Wazilla

Swansea
“Amazing!”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I just had a lovely meal at mela, a great choice on the menu and nothing disappointed. It was all delicious. The atmosphere was good and I couldn't fault the service. With a main course, starter and a choice of any type of rice and any naan for £7.95 it's great value too. I will be back for sure.

Swansea, United Kingdom
“Superb value”
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

This place really is stupidly good value - and fantastic food. Would definitly recommend. The Dahl is easily as good as I've had in India. And the waiter was so nice - very friendly and chatty and even gave us complimentary after dinner drinks :) happy :)

swansea
“Not the best but v good”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Had to try Mela after reading the reviews. We had Lamb & Mushroom Balti and Chicken Sri Lanka, both dishes we've had elsewhere. They were nice enough but certainly not the best we've had in Swansea. It's a small, cosy place compared with some of the mega Indians in the area. Service was very good and the manager?owner very friendly. Certainly worth a try.

Swansea, United Kingdom
“Sunday buffet OK- cheap and cheerful”
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

For £7 the Sunday buffet is good value. The food is fairly standard stuff but you can have as many visits as you like.

Having read the other reviews I was expecting wonders - I'll have to come back to order off the menu.

• Visited April 2013