“Expect the worst”

Gigi Gao's Favourite Authentic Chinese
Ranked #10 of 687 Restaurants in Swansea
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Dear Friends Welcome to 'The Favourite'! My name is Gigi and I am the owner of the restaurant. I've been in this country for 14 years and initially I graduated with my second Master's degree: Law and Globalisation. I was privileged to come across many people who just like me, love the Chinese cuisine. When I met my partner, he brought to my attention that none of the Chinese dishes he has tried in the UK tasted like the authentic Chinese food he tried when visiting China and he was very disappointed about not being able to find a real Chinese cuisine over here. This inspired me to change this situation and I aimed to bring authentic, great tasting Chinese food to Swansea! What makes us different? • We serve high quality, authentic Chinese food cooked by our highly skilled, top qualified Chinese chef ; • We believe in the natural flavour of our ingredients and won't use MSG; • We make our dishes to order which means it's served to you hot and fresh ; • Provide you with a friendly service, making you feel welcomed in our little restaurant; • We want to show you real Chinese food culture, and welcome the chance to explain our dishes • We have a wide selection of very high quality teas. Everyone knows 'jasmine tea' (of which we have a very good example) however there is a whole world of tea to try, with huge range in flavours and health benefits. • We don't serve the usual 'Chinese'food commonly found in UK Chinese restaurants and take-aways. In fact we donot recognise this as Chinese Cuisine. We donot serve 'slop in a wok'. We donot sell chips...Sorry! • Free chopstick lessons!! - ask any staff member. We work hard, strive for the best and want to provide you with excellent service. Therefore, your feedback is really important to us. In case of any concerns or dissatisfaction, please talk to us and let us know. We will do our best to solve any issues straight away and ensure you are leaving our restaurant satisfied. # Food allergies and specific dietary requirements: Please inform us of any of the above when placing your order as some of our dishes may contain peanuts, sesame seeds, eggs, milk, fish, soya etc. Bookings for birthdays etc. We welcome and are frequently booked for various events e.g. birthday parties. We would appreciate informing us about such event in advance, please. We like to make sure the 'birthday' person has an outstanding experience and we always try to make them feel special on the day. Music Our music is ShangHai Jazz, however if you have any requests in terms of the Chinese music, we will do our best to find and play it for you.
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Expect the worst and you will leave happy. Expect anything more and you will leave disappointed. I had to change my stool upon arrival as I knew I could not tolerate a squeaky stool. Not happy with a stool at regular restaurant prices but the reviews were good. The food was okay, nothing to write home about. Not great, not bad, the usual Chinese food but in a dingy, basic to the core environment. Would I go again? NO. I was astonished that the staff thought it was okay to smoke in the doorway - we were seated at the doorway - it is a very small restaurant - and I believe it was the owner that spoke very loudly into his cellphone feeling it necessary to include all his customers in his conversation - VERY ANNOYING. Will not be returning. Sad, basic to the core environment and staff have no clue as to the importance of customer experience.

libin888888, Owner at Gigi Gao's Favourite Authentic Chinese, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

oh, dear! sorry to hear about that. do apologize the things annoyed you, we gonna try our best to improve. thanks for comments!

Reviewed December 8, 2013

The portions were very generous and we'd gone a bit crazy with the side dishes, but between the four of us, every plate was cleared. The food is SO GOOD. Light, spicy and flavoursome.

It's also cheap - we paid around £6.80 for each main and the total wasn't much more per person, including beers and extras.

The service was genuinely warm, friendly and attentive. We had to wait a short while and complementary snacks were brought out for us. I liked the simple decor and wooden benches too and can't wait to go back.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Completely blown away by the quality of food and outstanding value of this cafe. I am not a fan of Chinese usually with its heaviness and oiliness that you expect in the UK. Normally go for japanese / thai/ vietnamese etc. However, here you can have fresh, light dishes with all the flavour you'd expect from eastern cuisine. Highly recommend the sea bass which like the rest of the menu you could easily pay double for in another restaurant. Looking forward to returning!

Reviewed November 23, 2013

i come to this restaurant a lot,
for 7 pounds you got the best meal you could expected, fresh and so testy !
try the meet pastry it's inbelivable !

1  Thank olivier179
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We went here with friends on a Friday evening, I can't recall the names of the dishes we ordered, but they were cooked freshly for us and were truly remarkable in their flavours. As a restaurant it's far from opulent in its decor, basic is probably the best description. But the food and service makes up for its sparse interior. The staff are lovely, and their motivation for opening the restaurant - the love of their country's food, shines through. Albeit they sell alcohol, they're happy if you bring your own. This really impacts on the cost of a meal, making this little restaurant really good value for money. This relatively new restaurant is fantastic and worth supporting, I hope it establishes itself as a firm favourite amongst the diners of Swansea.

1  Thank Nick S