“What a find!!”
Review of The Alexander

The Alexander
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Swansea
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I have just returned home after one night at this lovely hotel on the outskirts of Swansea. Before I go on, I just want to say that sometimes there are gems of hotels just on your doorstep.

I have driven past this unassuming hotel thousands of times on my way to and from work in Swansea and never given it a thought. But when our work do was being held in the Uplands area of Swansea I had the dilemma of how to get home in Llanelli late at night after several pints of cider! taxi fare would be extortionate so for the price of a late night taxi back home I instead opted for a night at the Alexander. Reviews on tripadvisor were very favourable and prices were incredibly reasonable.

I only spent one night here but I feel strongly enough to write a review as I would like more people to get to know what a fabulous little hotel this is. First of all the welcome on checking in was warm, genuine and very friendly. I was shown to a compact, but immaculately furnished light and airy room. Very clean and modern without being über trendy. A lot of attention to detail in the room. For a very very reasonable charge of £36 per night for the cheapest room at the hotel I got flat screen TV, free wifi, lovely fluffy towels and a gloriously comfortable bed.

After a great night in Uplands area all I then had to do was walk a few steps to the Alexander and my welcoming bedroom.

I slept like a log and then was treated to a delicious home cooked breakfast in the morning in the welcoming and cosy breakfast room.

Seriously this hotel is a real find. What some hotels charge is an absolute joke. I have stayed at hotels of all over the world and been charged ludicrous amounts of money for the extras I got for free at the Alexander and without any of the genuine warmth of the couple that run it.

I would recommend this hotel in an instant. It's a little cracker!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Jefflebowski67

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I have now stayed a couple of times at the Alexander and each time it has been great. The staff are super friendly, the rooms are luxurious and the breakfast is top class. The location is also good being really close to an ace Vietnamese restaurant!

Price-wise was also very reasonable! Oh, and they had horrible history books!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed here, with my husband and adult son, for two nights. The beds were very comfortable, the room and ensuite, although small, were spotlessly clean and there was lots to choose from in the dining room for breakfast. However, although this is a very nice little Guest House, I really don't think it should be advertised as a four star Hotel as this is very misleading. Also, the 'free public parking at a location nearby' is actually parking on the street wherever you might be able to find it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank JuneH_11
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I just read other reviews and am wondering if they stayed at the same hotel. The owners could not have been more welcoming and helpful. The room,bathroom and amenities were delightful as was the amazing breakfast. I went to Swansea for my brother in laws retirment party and did'nt have especially high expectations, but was so pleased that I picked The Alexander Private Hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Without a shadow of a doubt this is the friendliest and warmest welcoming hotel that I've stayed at in Swansea and possibly anywhere. The Alexander was suitably situated for me when I visited the Uplands and I felt at home immediately by treated as an old family friend rather than as an unknown guest. Nothing was too much trouble for the owner and I left the Alexander as that family friend who'll visit over and over again. The absolute perfect stay.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Was put in basement very dirty grubby up all night coughing from dust hadn't been used in a while ob, was stuble around ring of bath - was offered no discount ! Hurst dene up road is better alternative!

• Stayed: September 2012
7  Thank Claire-hortz
busterSwansea, Owner at The Alexander, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We take customers comments very seriously. You were allocated the room that you requested via e.mail. Rarely do we have awkward guests who cannot be pleased in any shape or form. This room has recently been re-furbished and decorated and cleaned daily. I think that this review is untrue and unfair, other guests can look at our other reviews and make up their own judgement!!

Reviewed August 31, 2012

I didn't actually stay at The Alexander, however, I want to write a review of my dealings with them as I booked my parents a stay with them. My parents were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and my dads 75th birthday and had booked to go on a cruise which brought them back into Swansea. They really hadn't enjoyed the cruise and so I was tasked with finding them a hotel at the last minute. I looked on the website, liked what I saw and obviously checked out the reviews here. I had a lengthy conversation with Lynn (the owner) who quite frankly couldn't have been more helpful if she tried. She arranged a lovely room for them, I asked for a bottle of champagne which she happily purchased, I then found out my parents may be arriving early but would just drop off their bags and go exploring. They did arrive to find that the room was already ready for them (i believe about 10am!) When they came back they were greeted with an exceptionally helpful gentleman who chatted with them and advised them on where to go for dinner. They said the room was absolutely spotless and are still raving over the wonderful breakfast they had in the morning. Their only comment - they wished they had been staying longer. On this basis, next time I visit Swansea or I'm recommending somewhere, it'll definitely be The Alexander.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple