“had a lovely night here”
Review of The Alexander

The Alexander
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Swansea
London, United Kingdom
“had a lovely night here”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I just read other reviews and am wondering if they stayed at the same hotel. The owners could not have been more welcoming and helpful. The room,bathroom and amenities were delightful as was the amazing breakfast. I went to Swansea for my brother in laws retirment party and did'nt have especially high expectations, but was so pleased that I picked The Alexander Private Hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Czech first
Lampeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Without a shadow of a doubt this is the friendliest and warmest welcoming hotel that I've stayed at in Swansea and possibly anywhere. The Alexander was suitably situated for me when I visited the Uplands and I felt at home immediately by treated as an old family friend rather than as an unknown guest. Nothing was too much trouble for the owner and I left the Alexander as that family friend who'll visit over and over again. The absolute perfect stay.

• Stayed September 2012
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Was put in basement very dirty grubby up all night coughing from dust hadn't been used in a while ob, was stuble around ring of bath - was offered no discount ! Hurst dene up road is better alternative!

• Stayed September 2012
7 Thank Claire-hortz
busterSwansea, Owner at The Alexander, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We take customers comments very seriously. You were allocated the room that you requested via e.mail. Rarely do we have awkward guests who cannot be pleased in any shape or form. This room has recently been re-furbished and decorated and cleaned daily. I think that this review is untrue and unfair, other guests can look at our other reviews and make up their own judgement!!
Mold
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I didn't actually stay at The Alexander, however, I want to write a review of my dealings with them as I booked my parents a stay with them. My parents were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and my dads 75th birthday and had booked to go on a cruise which brought them back into Swansea. They really hadn't enjoyed the cruise and so I was tasked with finding them a hotel at the last minute. I looked on the website, liked what I saw and obviously checked out the reviews here. I had a lengthy conversation with Lynn (the owner) who quite frankly couldn't have been more helpful if she tried. She arranged a lovely room for them, I asked for a bottle of champagne which she happily purchased, I then found out my parents may be arriving early but would just drop off their bags and go exploring. They did arrive to find that the room was already ready for them (i believe about 10am!) When they came back they were greeted with an exceptionally helpful gentleman who chatted with them and advised them on where to go for dinner. They said the room was absolutely spotless and are still raving over the wonderful breakfast they had in the morning. Their only comment - they wished they had been staying longer. On this basis, next time I visit Swansea or I'm recommending somewhere, it'll definitely be The Alexander.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CazMold
Arvika, Sweden
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed at the Alexander for a week in August, and over all it was a nice experience. My room was small, but nice and clean and with a spectacular view. Breakfast was great and the staff very friendly and helped in any way that they could to assist me. I would recommend this hotel to anyone in need of a place to stay in Swansea.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Looking this place up on Trip Advisor told me that it was one of the top hotels in Swansea with a very high rating. It also showed that it was very cheap, so I thought I’d stay here for 3 nights recently.

The first thing to say is that this is not a hotel so much as a B&B or guesthouse – not sure why what the classification of a “hotel” is on this site, but this is a B&B, just in case anyone is adverse to them and looking at the Alexander thinking it is a hotel.

Anyway, on arrival I learnt that my room was one of the cheapest ones and first I was shown to my “private” bathroom, which was a nice sized room. I took private to be something special, but the correct word would have been “separate” since all rooms have a private bathroom – just the rest of them have them en suite. Anyway, my room was right at the top looking out to the front and in fairness before he opened it the owner did warn me of the size – and it was very small, very very small in fact. The lumpy wallpaper, old lightswitch, loose plugs and such all put me in mind of a young offenders institution – which I guess is why the room is only £30 a night!

The area around the hotel is also very rundown – very studenty. At the time of my visit some roadworks were right outside and, as I had to park a few streets away, I had to come out each morning to an area smelling slightly of sewer. The houses next to the place had rubbish in the gardens and on the first night there was a band practice right across the street from my room!
Likewise those that enjoy good food and eating out will not find too much of value in this area.
The breakfast is suitable for those that like fried food and plenty of it – loads of builders were here when I was here, and they seemed to appreciate the high energy input before work!

The general décor is poor and there is little to recommend about the place (god knows how it got such high ratings here), but it is hard to ignore the fact that it is very very cheap. I would have rated a 2 but it is so cheap that 3 is more appropriate – after all, for £30 I got a bed, internet and breakfast, some chains would charge £30 just for some toast and internet access.

If your budget is air-tight then this is your place – but you really need to be aware why this place is as cheap as it is!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank bob_the_moo
busterSwansea, Owner at The Alexander, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
This gentleman stayed in our small single room which is the cheapest room that we have. We truly believe that for the £30.00 per night he paid it is very good value for the money. This includes free internet a very good selection on the breakfast menu cooked to the satisfaction of the majority of our guests, a very clean room and seperate private bathroom. If he required the facilities of the likes of The Hilton he would have to pay the price!!! At no time did this gentleman show any discontentment during his stay with us. We pride ourselves with customer satisfaction and if at any time he was unhappy with his room he only had to ask and we would have tried to change his room for him. It is totally out of our control with the gas road works that were being undertaken on the days of his visit as this work also took away all the free parking spaces directly outside The Alexander. As far as the area is concerned it is a vibrant area and we are sorry that he did not like it here. We have also noticed that this gentleman has taken time to put other reviews on local businesses that are trying to do their very best for customers. We are a Victorian building that is regularly decorated and maintened to a high standard. We are sorry it was not to his taste. As to the comment regarding the "builders", these gentleman were working at the festival that was over the bank holiday (Status Quo, Steps etc), we welcome all different types of guests and do not discriminate. We are very close to the University therfore you would expect students in the area. As far as the comment on the neighbours gardens this is completely out of our control. I do hope that other guests make up their own minds about our accommodation and do not go away and hide behind a computer to moan which is cowardly and rude which this gentleman has done.
southend
Reviewed August 22, 2012

More what I would call a guesthouse than a hotel but all the better for that. Breakfast cooked to order and just as you like it - rather than the lukewarm trays of pre-cooked serve-yourself food that you often get in a hotel. Good choice of fruits, cereals, danish pastries and cheeses etc.

Old-fashioed decor not to my taste but beds comfortable, storage more than adequate and everything kept clean. Only issue - damp in bathroom without window led to mould on bath surround (see pic) and shower wasn't brilliant.

Friendly reception and helpful response to any requests or queries. No parking but usually not too hard to find nearby. Location handy for city and coast. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel rooms are quiet and we had sea views.