“Best for the traveler without two pennies to round together” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Alexander

The Alexander
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Swansea
United Kingdom
“Best for the traveler without two pennies to round together”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

Looking this place up on Trip Advisor told me that it was one of the top hotels in Swansea with a very high rating. It also showed that it was very cheap, so I thought I’d stay here for 3 nights recently.

The first thing to say is that this is not a hotel so much as a B&B or guesthouse – not sure why what the classification of a “hotel” is on this site, but this is a B&B, just in case anyone is adverse to them and looking at the Alexander thinking it is a hotel.

Anyway, on arrival I learnt that my room was one of the cheapest ones and first I was shown to my “private” bathroom, which was a nice sized room. I took private to be something special, but the correct word would have been “separate” since all rooms have a private bathroom – just the rest of them have them en suite. Anyway, my room was right at the top looking out to the front and in fairness before he opened it the owner did warn me of the size – and it was very small, very very small in fact. The lumpy wallpaper, old lightswitch, loose plugs and such all put me in mind of a young offenders institution – which I guess is why the room is only £30 a night!

The area around the hotel is also very rundown – very studenty. At the time of my visit some roadworks were right outside and, as I had to park a few streets away, I had to come out each morning to an area smelling slightly of sewer. The houses next to the place had rubbish in the gardens and on the first night there was a band practice right across the street from my room!
Likewise those that enjoy good food and eating out will not find too much of value in this area.
The breakfast is suitable for those that like fried food and plenty of it – loads of builders were here when I was here, and they seemed to appreciate the high energy input before work!

The general décor is poor and there is little to recommend about the place (god knows how it got such high ratings here), but it is hard to ignore the fact that it is very very cheap. I would have rated a 2 but it is so cheap that 3 is more appropriate – after all, for £30 I got a bed, internet and breakfast, some chains would charge £30 just for some toast and internet access.

If your budget is air-tight then this is your place – but you really need to be aware why this place is as cheap as it is!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank bob_the_moo
busterSwansea, Owner at The Alexander, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
This gentleman stayed in our small single room which is the cheapest room that we have. We truly believe that for the £30.00 per night he paid it is very good value for the money. This includes free internet a very good selection on the breakfast menu cooked to the satisfaction of the majority of our guests, a very clean room and seperate private bathroom. If he required the facilities of the likes of The Hilton he would have to pay the price!!! At no time did this gentleman show any discontentment during his stay with us. We pride ourselves with customer satisfaction and if at any time he was unhappy with his room he only had to ask and we would have tried to change his room for him. It is totally out of our control with the gas road works that were being undertaken on the days of his visit as this work also took away all the free parking spaces directly outside The Alexander. As far as the area is concerned it is a vibrant area and we are sorry that he did not like it here. We have also noticed that this gentleman has taken time to put other reviews on local businesses that are trying to do their very best for customers. We are a Victorian building that is regularly decorated and maintened to a high standard. We are sorry it was not to his taste. As to the comment regarding the "builders", these gentleman were working at the festival that was over the bank holiday (Status Quo, Steps etc), we welcome all different types of guests and do not discriminate. We are very close to the University therfore you would expect students in the area. As far as the comment on the neighbours gardens this is completely out of our control. I do hope that other guests make up their own minds about our accommodation and do not go away and hide behind a computer to moan which is cowardly and rude which this gentleman has done.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Czech first
southend
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

More what I would call a guesthouse than a hotel but all the better for that. Breakfast cooked to order and just as you like it - rather than the lukewarm trays of pre-cooked serve-yourself food that you often get in a hotel. Good choice of fruits, cereals, danish pastries and cheeses etc.

Old-fashioed decor not to my taste but beds comfortable, storage more than adequate and everything kept clean. Only issue - damp in bathroom without window led to mould on bath surround (see pic) and shower wasn't brilliant.

Friendly reception and helpful response to any requests or queries. No parking but usually not too hard to find nearby. Location handy for city and coast. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel rooms are quiet and we had sea views.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
london england
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I have just returned from a trip to ireland and wanted a room for 1 night to break my journey from London to fishguard i booked this so called hotel through late rooms website.
upon arrival the hotel was not staffed i rang a number on the wall and the owners told me that they would come and let me in.
I agree with earlier posts the area is rundown and i had to park my car several streets away as the hotel has no parking and on steeet parking nearby is resident permits only so with a car full of luggage including a laptop not a very comforting thought
however things only got worse when the owners arrived i was shown to a basement room that literally had no windows (even a prison cell offers natural light0
but to make matters worse room B i situated down a flight of stairs from the main hallway and as a Housing Officer with over 30 years experience of both inspecting and letting propertie I imediately saw the life threatening danger in the event of a fire.
i was so shocked to have been offered this dungeon as accomadation I was literally speechless and told the owners I was going off for a drink.after my long drive.
However my sole intention was to get out of the place and call Laterooms to relay to them what I had encountered.
I insisted that they call the owners and give them my concerns and to let them know I would not be staying there that evening and to make no attempt to take the charge from my debit Card
Late rooms only complied with my complaint I believe because I made it clear on the telephone that I had many years experience in social housing and in my opinion this Room B was in vilation of legislation covering Houses In Multiple occupation.(HMO)regulations.

Laterooms informed me on the phone that the owners agreed it was a windowless room in a basement but said it had means of escape well i saw none and i have inspected literally thousands of houses so maybe Swansea Fire Safety Officer will have something to say on that one?

As for the rest of the accomadationi cannot comment it may be ok but i can assure readers the pictures you see are not what you will find.

But if anyone does decide to book this place insist room B is out of bounds it is a disgraceful attempt to let a room totally unsuitable for any guest with only a desire to make money

Room Tip: Do not entertain room b
Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank chickenstew
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

I had never been to Swansea before, we went for a graduation and wanted just one night in a good B&B. If I had let "Street view" sway me I would not have booked, the area is a bit grubby but then your staying in "Student Ville", and there a benefits in that, like a good mix of bars and restaurants.
We booked 2 rooms, a double and a triple. Both were clean, bright rooms(great shower), breakfast was above par and not deep fried. Parking could be an issue if you need to park close for health reasons, else just park in a side street, its safe. The owner is polite, courteous and interested in your comfort. I would go back.

Room Tip: Sea view(partial) at rear, and quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

I was recommended this hotel by a good friend of mine who told me of the excellent hospitality of the owners of which I wasn't let down!

I stayed at the Alexander for a long weekend and wish I could have stayed longer. From the minute I arrived I felt a warm welcome from the owner and his wife who made a lovely quirky couple. The extra features of this hotel where a welcome bonus as I am not much of a breakfast person however the wide range on offer meant I didnt go hungry. Top marks on the fruit salad!

The transport in this area is also a great addition as the bus stop is a few feet away if you wish to pop into town and taxis are easily availible on request, these wont be needed next time as its close enough to walk to now that I know the surroundings.

If you have ever stayed in a cold large hotel chain then this would be a welcome change as you really felt like the owners cared for your well being and small personal touches really give it that extra value for money! Free internet? I've never heard of it! EXCELLENT. I will definatly be coming back

Room Tip: Don't forget to borrow a book from the upstairs landing to read at night
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Dooway logo shown on line might not be the real one. This is not a four star hotel but is a two star B&B dump with a deep fried breakfast. Clean and cmfortable but the place is like the put it on charm of the owner/maneger - well worn out! Nowhere near worthy of the rates charged.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ross p
Aylesbury, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Really enjoyed our 1 night stay. Room clean, bed amazing and host really polite. The full english breakfast was great!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple