“Wonderful home produced food”
Review of The Gower Kitchen - CLOSED

The Gower Kitchen
Cuisines: International
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Gower Kitchen began its renovation in December 2011; it was in a sorry state as it had been left empty and unloved for a few years, it was last operated as an Indian restaurant. The building is listed and has a feature curved window frontage, original tiles and beautiful stained glass panels, all of which have been brought back to life by the GK boys, Stuart and Chris. Near complete renovation was needed, from stripping the walls to replacing the floorboards, much love and dedication has been spent on bringing 39 Uplands Crescent back to its former glory. The Gower Kitchen's interior is inspired by 'retro' and is a mix of reclaimed chairs, tables, floorboards and lampshades and vintage inspired wallpapers, prints and materials. The relaxed image goes hand in hand with the chilled out atmosphere at The Gower Kitchen where the aim to serve tasty food in a nice environment.
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Went there for lunch on the day of my son's University Graduation ceremony. He had chosen the restaurant after spotting two Welsh international rugby stars leaving it one day. The Gower Kitchen is real jewel. The menu may be limited but it comprises the finest locally sourced produce prepared with skill and care offering something for all tastes. The service was delightful and the price reasonable.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

A spur of the moment decision to eat out on a Monday led us, by accident, to the Gower Kitchen. It turned out to be a very fortuitous accident. The menu is not extensive but the three of us each had different dishes and they were all excellent – not adventurous or cutting edge but really well-cooked examples of their type. The bread and olives starter would have been enough for a meal in itself but, luckily for me, I *love* bread, olives and good olive oil (which this was). The chocolate cheesecake dessert was big enough and filling enough for my son and me to share and still come away feeling full. Will definitely be going back.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I had an evening meal here in May 2013. The atmosphere is very informal and laid back, and the staff friendly. The choice of food on the menu is not huge, but to me that is a point in its favour: I'd prefer to choose from a few quality and freshly prepared items than a vast range of indifferent ones. The food was excellent; my husband couldn't praise the belly pork highly enough. We couldn't resist the puddings, some of which were fruit based, rather than the usual heavy chocolate offerings, and they were delicious.
We thoroughly enjoyed the entire evening, and look forward to returning.

1  Thank annspanish
Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is the first time that I've had food in Wales where the chef understands what s/he is trying to do. We went for a rushed Sunday lunch before getting the train back to London and sadly only had time for one course. My husband and daughter had the wild mushrooms tagliatelle - the chef was happy to accomodate my daughter's dairy phobia and cook specially dairyless for her. I'm half-Italian and this is something I avoid eating here because it is easy to drench in cream and it was perfectly balanced. My own fish (fried sea bass) was also spot on and my other daughter was delighted with her roast (I forget, it was a week ago). We loved the decor, the whimsical mix of painted walls and two different wall papers, the "vintage" furniture. A gem.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Fab food but why do they serve so much bread.?
Eggs benedict today......super, but so much bread served that we had to waste half of the meal.
A slice of bread or toast does not need to be more than half an inch thick.
"Hand cut" bread is good but enormous wedges of bread are......UGH