“Riding at Clyne Farm”

Ranked #45 of 121 things to do in Swansea
Type: Other
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: 400 year old converted Welsh farm overlooking Swansea Bay, offering self catering cottages, horse riding, weddings, camping and various outdoor activities for all ages. Clyne Farm Centre is the perfect base to explore the beautiful Gower Peninsula, Swansea, Wales. At the main Farm site there are 7 converted stone cottages with sleeping capacity ranging from 4 up to 16 with a total capacity of 35. Nearby in secluded woodland are 2 unique cottages which sleep 8 each and can be interconnected to sleep 16. In total 51 guests can be accommodated on a Self-Catering or Bed & Breakfast basis. Further accommodation is available in our camping areas. Campers can choose to stay in a traditional camping field area with showers and toilets nearby. More adventurous campers can opt to stay in a woodland camping site surrounded by ancient trees away from the main site. Clyne Farm Centre also offers a range of activities including horse riding, Challenge Valley the muddiest assault course in the world!, archery, climbing, raft building, problem solving, rock-hopping, abseiling, surfing, canoeing, mountain biking, clay pigeon shooting, paint balling, quad biking, and more! The Farm is suitable to host all types of events including weddings, birthday parties for all ages, fundraising campaigns, TV filming sessions, and photo shoots.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking, Lockers / storage
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Riding at Clyne Farm”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

What a fantastic place. Myself and my 9 years old daughter went there for a 1 hour horse ride through the forestry. The staff were really friendly and accommodating, nothing was too much trouble. The horses had a lovely temperament (we rode Jay & Nibbles), and the views of Swansea Bay were amazing.
We can't wait to go back next month, and I'm looking forward to trying the beach ride too.
We are even going to brave the assault course (in the summer)!
A great place, offering great activities in a great location.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Jo_L111

Swansea, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Rooms with a View”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

It was raining most of the time I was here, but that didn't detract from the marvellous views overlooking Swansea Bay. The cottage I stayed in was clean and comfortable, and had everything I needed, and I wish I had the energy to take part in all the activities on offer! Friendly staff who want you to enjoy your stay.

Visited December 2012
3 Thank Mar2506
Bath, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Lovely cottage with value for money entertainment”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed in the Chapel Barn which was very cosy. Two lovely bedrooms and it would be perfect for a 2 child family, the twin room has charming little bunk beds. The bed was comfortable and the cottage clean throughout. It was nice that the breakfast was provided in the kitchen for us so we could have a lie in and get up when we pleased - if you can sleep through the cows mooing in the field next to you! The shower could have been better as it wasn't very powerful.
While there we did some archery and horse riding which was very cheap and we were able to book the morning after we got there. You can park right by the cottage too which is great.

It's really easily to get from the centre into mumbles, it's close and taxis are relatively cheap. We went for a meal in the Bay Brasserie which was fantastic! It was a bistro where we got to choose all our fish ourselves and they were priced by weight. The menu was predominantly fish/seafood but there were some meat/veggie options. The wine list especially was great as it was varied and relatively low cost. We had a fantastic weekend here, would definitely recommend!

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Sally P
New Forest National Park Hampshire, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Barn Owl Lodge and Keepers Cottage Avoid!!”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We initally stayed at Barn Owl Lodge and were disgusted at the condition of the cottage and lack of cleanliness. Dirty bedding, bathrooms, ripped sofa, washing machine not working, grill not working, power cuts, pond smelly I could go on and on ........ We informed the owner we were going to cut short our holiday due to this he told us we could stay in the adjoining cottage but would NOT refund our money. We opted for Keepers Cottage as we had children with us and we felt is was unfair to cut their holiday short at this point. Keepers Cottage looked like it had been ransacked, previous guests had literally left that morning and there were beer bottles, clothes, rubbish, shoes, cigarette butts etc the owner did not even tidy it first. We ended up cleaning the cottage ourselves it took 4 hours!. We stayed one night and eventually decided to go home. However we complained in writing, the owner continued with his disgraceful attitude and appaling customer service and even tried to blame us for the condition of the house!! The only positive about the cottage was the location it was beautiful, such a shame it had been ruined.

Visited August 2012
4 Thank MDavies67
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Ridiculous refund policy”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I have not had the displeasure (according to the other reviews here) of staying at the Clyne Farm Centre. I have however experience it's poor customer relations.

I booked and paid for a £150 booking for ten people to camp at Clyne Farm Centre a couple of weeks before I intended on visiting. Four days before arrival my plans changed and I called to cancel my booking.

During this call I was informed the The Clyne Farm Centre has a 28 DAY CANCELLATION POLICY that has to be sent IN WRITING and I was not able to get any of my money back.

I have a couple of issues with this that I have argued with the management to no avail:

1. This is a ridiculous cancellation policy - consider for example The Ritz in London accepts cancellations over the phone before 48 hours of your booking.

2. Although this term is stated on my receipt, this receipt was not sent to my email until after I'd booked and paid for the booking. Considering I made the booking within 28 days of my intended trip I feel I should have been warned on the phone that it would be non-refundable.

Poor show - however for those of you visiting the area I can heartily recommend the Hillend campsite where my friends and ended up having an excellent time. I'm just very disappointed that this company has £150 of my money that it didn't earn.

Visited August 2012