“Not quite what I expected. ”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of La Parrilla

La Parrilla
Ranked #286 of 643 Restaurants in Swansea
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
“Not quite what I expected. ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

To start off with, I booked this restaurant for a Christmas get together for my work colleagues based on other reviews and recommendations. The restaurant itself is well decorated with a light atmosphere and in particular I liked the option of viewing the fish or meat I could choose for dinner. Personally, I had monkfish to start with a spicy tomato sauce which was delicious though the spice in the sauce may have been more beneficial with a stronger flavoured fish.

For main I had the pheasant from the main menu which for the first piece of it wasn't too bad albeit a bit dry. The second piece which was a thigh portion was thoroughly burnt, still full of now cooked congealed blood and shattered bone fragments. As a game shooter I know this can happen with any game but at least inspect them first and personally, I wouldn't serve a portion in that condition.

The rest of the table seemed to enjoy their food which ranged from the venison to steaks. The mussels to start were particularly good.

Desserts were also fine with a good chocolate and salted caramel mousse being a favourite.

My biggest bug bear throughout the evening were the front of house staff. I get the impression that none of them had been given adequate training or had the experience to be working a restaurant of this quality. They were continually hard to understand, overly loud when it came to serving food and clearing dishes and glasses was another story! I don't mind people being not overly formal when clearing dishes but re-arranging your tray of dirty glasses in front of me just to put them back on the tray...

The front of house staff really did let down what could have been a positive review especially when you're being given a £500 bill at the end.

I'll try them again sometime to see whether anything has improved or whether this was a Christmas blip.

Llandeilo, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch with family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Met our daughters and partners for Sunday lunch .3 30 pm so quite late for lunch.Had short wait for table but no problem as live band playing Xmas songs etc.! £10.25 for 2courses is excellent value . I had mussels and a steak which was cooked rare ,perfect.!service was excellent, other reviewers should look to themselves sometimes , maybe you bring it on yourselves, because staff where very nice indeed. Thoroughly recommend for great value lunch.

Visited December 2013
“Lovely meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

We eat here once a month. Lovely food, good service in a nice atmosphere. Spanish themed with lots if Spanish waitresses and waiters. Lovely selection of meats, all which you see and you can choose which tickles your taste buds. Very popular place.

Swansea, United Kingdom
“Overcommitted themselves”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Dined here with friends on Beaujolais day. We had our table slot between 2and 4pm. We arrived promptly, only to squeeze in the door and have to queue for our table! There was a fab band playing but it was far too loud with that and the amount of people in there. The band would have been much more appreciated outside. We were told to order as soon as we could, which we didn't mind as we were all starving by this time. It was great that they had the usual lunch time menu on. The servers were polite and each of them looked rushed off their feet! One of my party did return their vegetarian pasta option as it was not to a good standard, Shame they didn't have another option for her! Also when another one of my party wanted a salad instead of chips, she was told this would be extra! Tut tut for not taking this into consideration as most women try to be good and opt for a healthier option! Over all the food and experience could have been that little bit better. I have visited here several times before and that always seems the case on each visit.

Oxford, UK
“Great value lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

My wife and I went to la Parilla for Sunday lunch with our daughter who is living in Swansea. We were really impressed by the menu (interesting without being over-ambitious), the quality of the food, the atmosphere and the friendly waiting staff. The ordering system is quirky in that you go to a counter to see the menu and choose your dishes, but that just adds to the fun. I had a delicious mini shepherd's pie with a steak and kidney brochette as a starter. It was just the right size for a starter and beautifully flavoured. I then had monkfish with what was essentially a ratatouille. Usually, monkfish is served in pretty mean portions but I had almost too much of well-cooked, lovely tasting fish. My wife had some great, slightly pink welsh lamb which, she said, was also delicious (she was not prepared to share it!), and my daughter really enjoyed her salmon. The only reason we didn't have pudding was that we were too full.
The restaurant itself is casual and modern: you feel that it is a little bit special without being at all cold or formal. The waiters were all very friendly and efficient, even though they were clearly extremely busy.
We will certainly return there for our next visit to Swansea.

• Visited November 2013