“Worst meal I've ever had”
Review of La Parrilla

La Parrilla
Ranked #260 of 720 Restaurants in Swansea
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I went to La Parilla with friends to celebrate a birthday. I chose the set menu which was £13.95 for two courses. I had soup to start, leek and potato which was adequate, and as I am a vegetarian, chose the beet root and goat's cheese risotto. When the risotto arrived, it looked like something a dog had vomited up! It was bright pink, and resembled playdoh, all I could taste was cheese, and I love cheese, but this was grim.
There was no structure to the dish, not a grain of rice in sight. I picked around the edges, but with the best will in the world, it was undedible.

I sent the meal back, and told the waiter I could not eat it. I was asked if I wanted anything else, but it was quite late, and as there was a limited vegetarian choice, I declined.

I asked what I should do with regard to payment, as I'd eaten the soup, and was told I would be charged £5.00, which I paid.

Another friend had the hake, which was also sent back as un edible. Everyone else's meal was ok.

My advice to anyone going to La Parilla is not to expect a great meal. At best adequate, at worst expensive slop.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Our party of 4 visited here on Saturday 7th of September having made our reservation for 7.30pm. We were shown promptly to our table and were then assaulted by the noise from the other occupants of the restaurant. I do not believe that that the other diners were all on medications that required them to bellow or shout as we too found that the only way to communicate, other than by hand written notes or sign language, was to shout at the top of our voices. When you consider that the approximate width of the table was four feet and that my nearest companion was less than two feet away you may be able to imagine the volume of the background din. Try it at home if you will, with the stereo, radio and TV all up to the max and try chatting to your nearest and now goldfish like dearest as you watch their lips move without being able to register a word they have said. Thus you have recreated the "atmosphere" of La Parilla.

The steaks were excellent, the chicken tender and the turbot perfectly cooked. The bottle of Patagonian Malbec was sublime.

So, the food was very good and the "atmosphere" overwhelming..................hence my average overall rating.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

You can't fault the chefs at this restaurant, they do the best steaks around
Restaurant can get very noisy at times, and on the last two occasions the service was very poor.
Quite pricey and can be cramped, best avoid peak times
Expect great food but don't expect great service with a smile
Sorry but thats the truth

Reviewed September 3, 2013

First of all I should point out that there are two pages for La Parilla on Trip Advisor, should be consolidated into one to gain a truer picture of the restaurant.

I have visited this place two or three times, mainly for special occasions, and didn't really have many complaints. The food is tremendous, the homemade chips a triumph - (probably not enough of them though!), it is on the dear side but is in a nice location so you could argue it merits it. Service on the whole is OK, although if there are larger parties present the waiters do cater for them at the detriment of other tables, which while this is understandable as they will obviously end up paying more, every customer is as important as the next in my eyes. As other people have witnessed, it does get extremely busy at weekends which exacerbates the service even more, so I would recommend going midweek.

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Went on a tuesday evening and so quiet. Food very good and service quick and efficient. We had a couple if starters for variety and they a accommodated this well providing us with extra plates. Chips were lovely and it was nice and quiet as midweek - it can be very busy on a Saturday.