“Lovely little Victorian theatre”

Swansea Grand Theatre
More attraction details
Owner description: The Grand Theatre in Swansea has a wide variety of shows and exhibitions for everyone to enjoy. Footlights Cafe is open from 11.00am to 3.30pm on performance days (closed on Mondays), and Footlights restaurant is open from 5.00 pm on performance days until 11.00pm and has full access for wheelchair users. Opening times - Monday to Saturday: 9.30am - 8.00pm (9.30am - 6.00pm on non performance days)Sunday: Open for one hour before performances
Bristol, United Kingdom
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Lovely little Victorian theatre”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We went last night to see that great singer/ song-writer Paul Carrack. The auditorium is lovely but parts look in need of a little TLC (hopefully the 50p restoration fee charged on each ticket helps in this respect). But the seats were reasonably comfortable and the acoustics good. The other parts of the theatre such as the toilets were modern. Swansea has a jewel that needs to be looked after.

Visited November 2013

Llanelli, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“The gleaming jewel of my childhood that just keeps shining!”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

When I was growing up, I went to the Grand a lot. sometimes with family, sometimes with school, but every single time I adored it. most of the shows themselves have been fantastic, but the building is beautiful too. I always found the Grand to be this magical, gorgeous place and I used to feel so happy and like I was being enlightened by something bigger than I could understand.
I hadn't been in a few years but last tuesday I took my mother there to see Sandi Toksvig live. I'm a lot older now but all those feelings came rushing back to me, and it's just as beautiful and as magical as it was ten years ago. This is just a great place, if you have an opportunity to see a show here seize it! take your children and family and let them in on this amazing place!

Builth Wells, Wales, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Great Theatre - Great Shows”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Always enjoy the Grand Theatre,have visited many times over the years and always a good night out. My last trip was The Buddy Holly Story (really enjoyable).Love the atmosphere of the old Theatre and the drinks in the Bar.The Grand is very much part of the history of Swansea and recommend a visit to this Theatre,there are always a great variety of shows,something for everyone. The staff are always helpful and offer good advice.

1 Thank John M
Crediton, England, United Kingdom
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Excellent accoustic for Welsh National Opera”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We have just returned from enjoying WNO's three Donizetti 'Tudor' operas. What a delightful late Victorian theatre, full of elaborate plasterwork and sweeping galleries, enclosing a space small enough for everyone to enjoy music of the highest quality. Only problem, as mentioned by other reviewers, is that the seats were designed for small 19th century people. We chose to be on the end of a row, so that my husband could sit sideways. Anymore than two hours at a time would be torment. But we loved the whole experience and would certainly go again. (And we stayed at the Marriott hotel, within walking distance.)

Rhondda Cynon Taf, United Kingdom
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 186 helpful votes
“A traditional Theatre with traditional values.”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

A show and a drink before and afterwards make this one of the nicest theatres around. The staff are ever helpful and are allways on hand with advice.

The shows here are as good as anywhere else and is often the same shows you get at the capital (Cardiff). The seating is old school and in traditional seating that we would expect from the pretiest theatre in any city and the views from most placed are very good.