“Visiting The Grand Theatre”

Swansea Grand Theatre
More attraction details
Owner description: The Grand Theatre in Swansea has a wide variety of shows and exhibitions for everyone to enjoy. Footlights Cafe is open from 11.00am to 3.30pm on performance days (closed on Mondays), and Footlights restaurant is open from 5.00 pm on performance days until 11.00pm and has full access for wheelchair users. Opening times - Monday to Saturday: 9.30am - 8.00pm (9.30am - 6.00pm on non performance days)Sunday: Open for one hour before performances
Cardiff, United Kingdom
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Visiting The Grand Theatre”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

It very much depends on what's on at the theatre whether you want to visit. Most of the shows are tribute bands and one night "rubbish" events. However the summer rep is usually worth seeing.

Visited April 2013
SwanseaGT, Public Relations Manager at Swansea Grand Theatre, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your comments. The theatre tries to accomodate shows from all genres. Each season features a wide variety of shows. We look forward to welcoming you back to the theatre for our Summer Repertory Season.

Swansea, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Rape of the Fair Country - 22 March”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Have been to the Grand many times in the past 18 months and it is always an enjoyable experience. The seats are comfortable enough for me, but taller people could be quite cramped unless they had an aisle seat. This play was absolutely brilliant and the scenery really added to the sense of time and location of the story, e.g. how to portray an iron furnace on stage. The theatre was clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. They sell locally made Joe's ice-cream during the interval, which is part of the treat! The Grand Circle bar is usually quiet, but the Footlights bar is very busy and usually nowhere to sit. Perhaps an improvement would be to have a wider range upstairs so that more people used the other bar. Parking is usually tricky unless you arrive early, although you can always use the multi-storey and get a discount via theatre staff. Sometimes the smoke effects can be problematic for those with breathing problems, as it spreads into the auditorium (e.g. the back-fire of Grease Lightning car in Grease last year), We are very lucky to have a theatre such as the Grand in Swansea.

S.Wales
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Like going back to 1972 (& not in a good way!)”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We went to the Grand to see Mickey Flannagan, who was absolutely hysterical by the way, and we were very disappointed. We arrived in plenty of time to get a drink but the queue for the bar was at least 40 deep because there was 1 member of staff serving. She was flat out and simply couldn't cope. The choice of drinks was very limited and you weren't allowed to take drinks into the theatre. They took an interval drink order but they had run out of what we ordered by then and ended up with a substitution. The evening had been fully booked for months - why they couldn't get more staff and stock in I don't know.

There is nowhere near enough ladies loos but that seems to be the case in every theatre in the world. However, nor was there any loo paper and the hand dryers didn't work and that is fixable.

In short a beautiful venue completely let down but utterly incompetent management. If I had a message for them it would be: you are a disgrace, it is 2013 and time you woke up to it.

Visited March 2013
I am dreadfully sorry to hear of your experience at the Micky Flannagan gig and would like to apologise on behalf of the theatre. The Catering Manager has been informed of the issues on this particular evening and we are looking into ways to improve the service.
We are aware of the faulty hand driers in the ladies washrooms and we are looking into replacing these in the very near future. We do take your comments very seriously and thank you for taking the time to review our service.
Wales
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“I shall never return”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I have been to this theatre twice in the last year and had an awful experience on both occasions. Unfortunately we had already booked the second event before we had been the first time or I would never have returned.
Parking is awful close to the theatre and, knowing this, the second time we arrived early and managed to get a space in the car park opposite the theatre. Fine until we wanted to leave and were stuck in a log jam for 20 minutes moving nowhere.
The queues at the bar before the performance on both occasions were ridiculously long - it is like they are not expecting anyone to turn up even though the event is fully booked so have insufficient staff and stock. This time our group of 4 friends got the last 4 bottles of grolsch half an hour before the performance started having queued for 20 minutes. I ordered the same for the interval assuming they would stock up the bar during the first half. But no when we got our drinks they were warm bottles of a different brand of lager that was totally tasteless - same price though. The only redeeming aspect was that we did not have to join the huge queue that had appeared at the bar again.
They treat you like children and will not let you take alcohol in to the show - not even in plastic glasses like most venues do nowadays.
Even the ice cream I had was so soft it had obviously been warming up with the lagers somewhere.
The only good point was that on both occasions the comedians we came to see were top class and made the trip worthwhile. But as these guys tour all round I shall ensure I never need to go to the Grand Theatre again - I would drive past Swansea to Cardiff or Bristol rather than endure that.

Visited March 2013
Thank you for your comments, which I was sorry to hear of your disappointing experience. Firstly, may I apologise on behalf of the theatre as it is always our intention to make our customers feel valued. However, I would like to respond to the points raised which I hope will be of benefit if you decide to revisit the theatre again.
Car Parking: We recommend that patrons use The Quadrant Car Park, which is 5 minutes walk to the theatre which is open for every performance. At this car park you receive 1 hour free parking if you validate your ticket at the theatre
Bar: Apologies for the queues and the Catering Manager has been spoken to regarding this matter.
Auditorium: We are in the process of allowing drinks into the auditorium, and this will come into effect very soon.
I am sorry to read that you will never come to theatre again, I do hope you will change your mind.
Swansea, United Kingdom
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“pantomine.”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

we go to the pantomime every year with my daughter and granddaughter to watch pantomime on xmas eve and have done for many years since all my children were small. it is a lovely place to go and the shows are great. many more visits alongside the panto

Visited December 2012