“Nice waterside location let down by the revolting toilets and showers”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Swansea
Carreglwyd Caravan and Camping Site
Ranked #10 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Swansea
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Nice waterside location let down by the revolting toilets and showers”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stayed 5 nights here after turning up on a whim due to not getting a pitch at Hillend Campsite, very scenic location by the water and beach, we pitched our tent in the furthest away field (much quieter location as we were a couple). Didn't have any problems with the staff, young girl on reception very polite and attentive, great shop selling most things but no freezer block facility (bags of ice worked fine instead).

What REALLY lets this campsite down is the disgusting toilet and shower blocks, they are some of the worst I have seen and for the cost of £22 pn for the pitch, I would expect something much better. They were filthy, choice of materials/tiles used did not help. I DIDN'T see these toilets or showers been cleaned once in the whole time i was there. Infact I brushed my teeth with a bottle of water next to the tent most mornings as the smell and foulness of the facilities really got to me. I avoided having showers/washes just because the facilities were so bad ... i lived off facial wipes for my face and body!

The facilities were not hygienic in the slightest, sanitary bins were kept up on a shelf behind the toilet so you couldn't have reached them if needed, door locks were broken on both toilets and showers, hairs and bodily fluids everywhere, one day I went in and the toilets were all blocked and full of bodily excrement just left there and smelling whilst people were showering next door ...... the people that did use the facilities ..... hats off to you as I don't know how you did it!

Plus if you oitch your tent in the far field, it is fairly long walk in the middle of the night if you need the loo! All the facilities are down one side of the campsite and not evenly spread out.

Sorry, not for me, won't be returning.

On the plus side, try the restaurant in the village called The Smugglers Haunt, attentive and friendly service, great food washed down with a super bottle of Prosecco!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NJBond

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We were a little concerned about staying here due to previous reviews, plus I had rung the campsite a few days prior, to ask if it was O.K. that an extra person came with us.... I could not get through for hours, but eventually a man answered, and he was quite abrupt on the phone, I also wanted to ask for my final balance, having only paid the deposit, but I did not get the answer from the guy, he said I would find out on the day when we arrived. Made me feel like I was being a nuisance on the phone.

Despite this, we worried for nothing. When my husband turned up to put the tent up, and asked if we could be near to the toilets, (as my daughter has mobility issues), a man (don't know his name), was very helpful and led my husband to a sheltered spot in the middle field, not far from the toilet block, he also helped unload the tent etc, which was very kind of him to do so.

We had no problems there, and had a lovely time, except for the terrible weather every night. The toilet/shower block was clean. Yes, the showers can be a little awkward wetting your clothes if your not careful, but I kept mine wrapped in a carrier bag, and wore flip flops to avoid having wet shoes.
The shop is small, but has essentials, plus there is another shop just around the corner, plus a chippy...... fab curry sauce and chips!!

Lovely location, a short stroll to the beach. Would have loved to have explored the "walks" more, but difficult with my daughters mobility issues.

Forgot to mention that we were given a list of rules on arrival, none of which seemed unreasonable. I was a little worried about keeping 3 excited girls, on their first camping trip, quiet after 10pm, ( stated in the rules), but we never heard any family being asked to keep any noise down etc, (not that any were rowdy, but I just thought we would have to be silent after 10pm, so again I worried for nothing. In our experience, the staff were polite and helpful on site, but the guy who answered the phone was ignorant, and that is my only reason why I have not given a 5 star rating. All in all, we enjoyed our stay at Carreglwydd and we would certainly go there again :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank bex64
Rochester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My partner and I went for 5 nights. We were uncertain about going here due to the poor reviews, but we were so impressed that we are already planning to go again.

The site allows advance bookings, which many of the other nearby campsites in the area do not. The three fields are small and in a row separated by hedges which gives a lovely feeling of being on a small campsite at all times. There are two toilet blocks and you're never more than 5 minutes away from them. They are kept fairly clean, but don't expect them to be gleaming during peak times. I would advise wearing sandles in the showers if you're worried. The camp shop is priced roughly average for the area, but if you want groceries at a better price, you can catch a bus from the beach front to Scurlage where there is a larger shop, post office, pharmacy and bakery.

The scenery from the campsite is stunning and very relaxing as you can look out over the beach and watch the sunset from your tent entrance. There are also several walks you can access directly from the site, or you can get the bus to further afield - I highly reccommend going to Rhossili and walking over the cliff top path, it's easier than it looks and the view is breathtakingly beautiful and wild.

Seriously worth going to. Will go again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights in Aug '13

The location makes the site. Next to the breach and local pubs, restraunts, cafe etc - all essential if, like us, you prefer camping light!

The site was half empty, possibly due to previous reviews, possibly the mixed weather. Shower block was clean. Staff didn't bother us and were polite-ish when we visited the shop and on check in/ out.

We'll go again.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank trecynon
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Why do people complain about rules, every site should have them, then you know what and what not to do. Follow the rules its easy.
Nice site, clean toilets, great views.
Beach and fishing on your doorstep.
Children a bit noisy but it is a family site.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lynda W
Chepstow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I've been visiting this site for around 15 years and this time will be the last.

I've always put up with the rude arrogant, power driven owner and his henchmen ( staff) due to the fantastic location.

We recently visited with 2 other families ( 3rd year as a group) and were already aware of the culture of rules and regulations and have done well to last this long in hindsight.

We pre booked for a 4 night stay months ago and arrived in convoy

Rob ( the owner) did not acknowledge that he has received my bookings for years and we've had many conversations ( which I force on him to hone my communication skills when dealing with difficult people.)

He "greeted" me with his usual finger waving and barked his command to "park up" and for one person only from each car, to enter the shop and book in.
We were given a copy of the site rules and escorted to our pitch were I was instructed to position my caravan. I did as instructed.

5 minutes after I had pitched I was asked to move it "precisely" one metre back and to the left. I politely indulged the horrible little man and attempted to set up once again and "relax"with my family and friends, all of whom had been looking forward to our trip to the Gower for a long time.

He returned once more and instructed my friends to move their tents slightly as they were not "exactly" as he had ordered. They too complied as we all just want a quiet life, don't we?

We had a great evening and maintained "silence" way before "curfew". Having also visited many sites, we all accept that people want a bit of peace after dark. We sat talking in our awning while the kids played cards.

Unfortunately, the kids must have told a joke and laughed out loud, at the same time the camp commandant (another rude and horribly behaved as well as inappropriately spoken disciple of Rob) and his partner, were outside their bunker smoking.

The "female" of the night watch pounced into action and came to tell us that it was a "family site" and that this noise would not be tolerated and the owner would be informed. We apologised and explained that we would make sure we would be quiet as we had been all evening.

I went to sleep, though it was not unbroken as I imagined the visit from Rob in the morning and I wondered how I would get on. I recited my plan in my head as I Watched the Quad bike go up and down on morning patrol.

We apologised to all our neighbours as soon as we got up, who thankfully all said that they hadn't heard any noise at all.

It was then he appeared in his van and beckoned me personally to address him.

I was "spoken to" by Rob, as if I were a small child who had performed some despicable act of inhumanity. He exposed himself to be, without doubt, the most intolerable human being I have ever had the displeasure to converse with.

My outcome was to ensure that I did not fail in my mission to spend one last weekend on this campsite, though I had already decided the night before, that I would not ever set foot in the place again.

As someone who has studied human behaviour and taught communication skills for many years, I was actually quite fascinated to watch and listen as Rob basked and "enjoyed" his moment of powerful glory, oblivious to the fact that I could see how he is killing his business and livelihood with his own limited view of why people like to go camping.

Do everyone a favour Rob, and sell your campsite to someone who wants to run one. Someone who likes other people. Someone who understands family.

If you want a more unbiased view of the attitude of Robs "organisation" check out trip adviser where 30% seem to have had a similar experience to me.
I'm appalled by the way you treated me, my family and friends.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
48 Thank Mcconnachie333
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2013

on the plus side, the owner did allow us onto the site without us booking, We had a camper van and were able to park up where ever we wanted, so we chose the far field (near the hedge and the gate to the footpath). The view was great.

we bought some food from the shop and to be honest i thought that we would have to pay a lot more than we did.

now for the negatives. On the way to the campsite, my mate had informed me of the reviews for the place and in particular the owner...... and he did not fail to live up to his reputation. My (who was driving) was asked a series of questions in an abrupt and rude manner. we were then instructed in the same manner, for ONE of us to come into the shop and sort out the payment. it was like being told off by a headmaster. we were then given the rules and headed off to find a pitch.

We did drive back to the shop, as we needed to empty the flush the sink out and there was a waste water point near the shop, I went to buy some food and was stopped by the owner, who wanted to know, why we had driven back the shop and not walked (as in the rules).

the shower block, was some distance from the pitch (but we knew that when we parked up). However, the shower block was fairly small and dirty, the shower cubicles were not the best (a bit on the small side),

all in all, the site has a lot going for it, but it is let down by the attitude of the owner and the general cleanliness of the shower block.

I have been to worse campsite's, but have also been to better.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank daveccfc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swansea
Culver House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Reynoldston
King's Head Inn
King's Head Inn
#1 of 5 in Llangennith

Been to Carreglwyd Caravan and Camping Site? Share your experiences!