“I want to give it a better rating,,,, but”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Swansea
Carreglwyd Caravan and Camping Site
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“I want to give it a better rating,,,, but”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

on the plus side, the owner did allow us onto the site without us booking, We had a camper van and were able to park up where ever we wanted, so we chose the far field (near the hedge and the gate to the footpath). The view was great.

we bought some food from the shop and to be honest i thought that we would have to pay a lot more than we did.

now for the negatives. On the way to the campsite, my mate had informed me of the reviews for the place and in particular the owner...... and he did not fail to live up to his reputation. My (who was driving) was asked a series of questions in an abrupt and rude manner. we were then instructed in the same manner, for ONE of us to come into the shop and sort out the payment. it was like being told off by a headmaster. we were then given the rules and headed off to find a pitch.

We did drive back to the shop, as we needed to empty the flush the sink out and there was a waste water point near the shop, I went to buy some food and was stopped by the owner, who wanted to know, why we had driven back the shop and not walked (as in the rules).

the shower block, was some distance from the pitch (but we knew that when we parked up). However, the shower block was fairly small and dirty, the shower cubicles were not the best (a bit on the small side),

all in all, the site has a lot going for it, but it is let down by the attitude of the owner and the general cleanliness of the shower block.

I have been to worse campsite's, but have also been to better.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank daveccfc

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

The site has 3 lovely camping fields and wherever you camp in the far field you have an amazing view of the sea. The backdrop to the campsite is a lovely wooded area and a path from the middle of the site leads through the woods and onto a coastal walk. Another path leads to the beach which is a five minute walk, if that. At the end of the far field there's a gate and you can catch crabs and fish in the rockpools when the tide's out. The showers are spacious and warm. I went into the cubicle with my two children and we had plenty of room. The campsite shop has surprisingly reasonable prices and lots of cheap toys for the kids and good quality kids fishing nets for £2.50. The couple that run it are both really friendly. Whenever I came across the man who runs it, he was helping people out, waving to the kids as he litter picked from his quad bike, or cleaning one of the two spotless toilet blocks. Both him and his wife chatted and joked with us when they came across us on the site. When I read the reviews on this site before we went I nearly backed out but I am so glad we didn't! The only thing I would change are the clothes hooks on the shower doors because some of them don't bend back enough to hold your clothes on properly and if you aren't careful they could slip onto the floor. The site isn't cheap to stay at but you don't have to pay for the showers like you do at some other sites and you do get everything you need from a good camping spot.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank StorkyCharlie
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We read some of the reviews on this site before travelling, and were somewhat apprehensive/worried about our impending stay based on the very negative opinions of others!

We were a large family group of varying ages but mainly adults and had a very enjoyable stay. The staff were not rude, not overly keen on their customer service but not as rude as other reviews have indicated.

The toilet blocks were relatively clean most of the time, peak times were less clean but this is inevitable with large numbers of people using them. I never had to queue for a toilet/sink/shower. The blocks themselves could do with some modernisation but they were perfectly adequate.

Others have commented on excessive numbers of rules for those staying on the site, though in my opinion none of these were unreasonable and were pretty standard for a camp site, quiet times in the evening, dogs on leads etc.

Location is fantastic for access to all of the Gower's beautiful beaches, as well as Port Eynon beach a 2 minute walk away. The shop on site is well stocked and not too expensive. Charges per night however were quite expensive.
We would return!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Just got back from a weekend here. The site itself is ok as its right near a beach. The beach is ok too but if you travel 5 miles away to Rhossil then there is a beautiful beach there. Upon arrival we were checked in by a Sergeant Major type man who informed us of every rule there was going!

The shower blocks are ok, clean enough but the water temperature ranges from being boiling hot to warm depending which showere you use also the cubicles aren't that big so beware when using the shower as it does tend to spray everywhere so i wouldn't advise taking your clean clothes with you!

There are also a lack of skips/bins around the site. We were in the furthest field away and the closest one is right near reception.

There are a couple of chip shops and a pub in the village which were ok too.

I agree with peoples comments about the owners being sticklers for rules too. My wife walked to the toilets as we were on our way off site for the day so I packed the car ready then drove up to meet her by the toilets as I was parked up the lady owner came zooming up on her tractor to find out why I was driving to the toilet. Which I then had to explain to her.

I would visit again definitely but you need to be prepared to have Big Brother watching over you!!

Room Tip: I would try and pitch near reception as that's where all the facilities are i.e Skips, showers...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank basnip
Blaenavon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

STILL UTTERLY PERPLEXED after the news that my family has been banned from this park.

We found the camp site via an online search engine for a two night stay. The location was fantastic, especially for my two year old seaside loving daughter.

A little shocked upon arrival to be greeted by a security barrier at the entrance to the park, indicating high level of security. After being told to 'wait in the field' before check in by a man that made no introduction I felt a little unwelcome as a guest.

The pitch we stayed on with electric hook up was ideal for our motor home and fairly close to the shower block. Unimpressed to see only 4 shower cubicles and extremely annoyed when the awkwardly designed shower soaked by clothes and shoes! The lack of family room without baby bath meant that my daughter could not bath all weekend -disappointing considering the park was advertised 'specifically for families'. The shower block and toilets were overall kept fairly clean.

Disappointed by the size of the on site shop based on the size of the park and found no fresh bread in the mornings. The distinct 'dog' odour also made me reluctant to buy fresh goods.

My sister and her family joined us for the second night of our stay on the neighbouring pitch. To close the holiday, we enjoyed some time as a family by relaxing outside with some light music playing on my iPad. The owner approached us at around 8pm and asked to turned the music down. I apologised and did as she wished but remembered that the list of park rules given at the beginning of the stay allowed outdoor music. The following day and before we checked out, I was dismayed to be told by the owner that we would not be welcomed back to the park in the future.

Overall, this park is situated in a perfect location but a complete shame that the owners attitudes are not at all welcoming and quite frankly are in need of personality transplants. Having worked for the public sector for nearly 20 years, the lack of customer service skills and respect for paying guests is unacceptable. An advisory for the park owners would be to invest in some training on how to a build a good rapport with customers and lead by example to their employees. A smile goes a long way!

Note to the owners: REPUTATION IS EVERYTHING

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
18 Thank Lilipie2
Kidwelly, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Phoned about this site on the Thursday and was told that they had space for us the following day. They also didn't require a deposit which was helpful as I had temporarily mislaid my card. On arrival we were shown into the site by the person we believe to be the owner. The check in procedure was nice and straight forward with a young lady who was very helpful and answered our queries.

Site was friendly and whilst toilet facilities were slightly limited in number they were always clean as was the dishwashing area.

Shop had basic supplies but that was great for what we needed. Also items weren't that expensive given it was a small site shop.

Cost was more expensive than others we have visited but the atmosphere and views made it worth this.

Only issue was that as this is a family site it was occasionally a little loud and occasionally when you wanted to relax you found yourself surrounded by kids (they all wanted to fuss our dogs) but on the whole we found everyone friendly and easy going.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SidMouse
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Enquired about the camp site by telephone and had a perfectly polite conversation and made a booking for the following day. Checked in quickly and found a good pitch in the third field. A bit of a walk back to the toilet block but exercise was fine. Showers were good and toilets reasonably clean. Great location. Man does go round on quad bike but never spoke to us, we must have been obeying the rules. Actually quite glad that the camp site quietens down by 10pm as family able to get to sleep. Would definitely return, great location and no problems. Plus, recommend that you get fish and chips from Ship Ahoy up in village of Scurlage, really tasty.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swansea
Shoreline
Broad Park Bed and Breakfast
King's Head Inn
King's Head Inn
#1 of 7 in Llangennith

Been to Carreglwyd Caravan and Camping Site? Share your experiences!