“Ideal touring base”
Review of Mercure Swansea

Mercure Swansea
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Swansea
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Just returned from a two day break at the Mercure.Booked a package with breakfasts and
evening meal.Made very welcome by all the staff the food and accomodation were excellent.
This is ideal base to tour the gower and Swansea itself.Really impressed.

Made to feel reallly welcome throughout our stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RobLynneWestCountry
Ian H, General Manager at Mercure Swansea, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Dear RobLynne,

Many thanks for your kind review.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We had a friendly welcome and a very pleasant stay in late October 2012, all the staff we met were helpful and cheerful. The room was clean, warm and well appointed, we especially like the small table and chair set. There was always plenty of hot water in the en-suite. The car park is spacious and seems quite secure with cctv. The location will appeal to some, it did to us, but disappoint others. The hotel is on a retail park a short drive from the town centre. A very useful Park & Ride into Swansea is nearby, excellent value for money and should be considered in preference to the town centre car parks. The shops on the retail park are open until late and include a 24 hour supermarket with fuel, an outdoor goods, pet store, bargain price shops and fishing tackle shop to mention just a few, overall, very handy.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Forshaw7
Ian H, General Manager at Mercure Swansea, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear Forshaw7,

Many thans for your kind review. I am always pleased to advise when someone scores a first on our review (first person to mention something no one else has) and you win a first for mentioning there is a fishing tackle shop nearby.

You had me hooked from that point onwards !

Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel in Swansea. We were on our way to visit family we have in Wales. We found this the best hotel due it location being a halfway point. We arrive late afternoon to a warm reception. I think the receptionist name was Delia. She greeted us with a smile which gave us a fantastic first impression. The room was clean and tidy, decor a bit out of date but never the less had everything we needed. We decided not to have dinner in the hotel that evening as we went out with friends.

Breakfast was served from 7.00 -9.30 which gave us a little lie in that morning. We were spoilt for choice at the option available. I had the cooked breakfast and my husband had fruit and cereal. Absolutely outstanding quality for a 3 star hotel.

We had the pleasure of meeting 2 lovely lady staff members. One looked as if she was in a management position and could not be more helpful and accommodating. The other older lady was chatty and made us laugh on a few occasions.

Although our stay was very short we were treated as individuals and were made to feel that this was a place we would definitely visit again.

The reason I have givin this 5 stars is because of the wonderful attitude of the staff members. The hotel should be proud.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lee-ann R

Dear Lee - Ann,

Many thanks for your kind review, always delighted to get a 5 star score :-)

I will pass your comments on to Delia, and the rest of the team.

Best Regards

Reviewed January 26, 2013

First we got in the hotel and the pool and internet weren't working. Due to it was nothing else to do we opt to eat at the restaurant. The service was horrible. A waitress brunet, was to busy watching the TV at the bar than serving anybody. She had a lot of attitude and very UN-knowledgeable about anything. Breakfast was horrible too. the waitress asked for coffee or tea and go to set up tables for lunch(because it was more important than a guest). We were never asked if we wanted anything fro the kitchen. I always travel around mercure hotels and this service worry me. I think will be long tie until I step in another mercure. But def. I won't go to this one again.

Dear Taxo Gon,

Please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered.

I would be most grateful if you could give me a call so I may investigate your complaints further.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed in the Mecure Swansea for 1 night on a business trip. In all the hotel has what's needed for a comfortable stay out of the city centre. Plenty of free parking and no problems on check in. The room was adequate for my needs and had a well stocked bathroom and tea tray. If anything the decor looked a little tired but bed was fine. The hotel generally felt a little dark. The pool is small and the gym is tiny so it was fortunate the hotel was not busy. I had dinner in the restaurant from a pre booked 2 course menu. I struggled to get a drink at first as the bar was not attended. When seated the staff seemed unsure of what I had booked and which of 3 menus I should order from. The service was not great I had to get condiments myself from other tables. To be fair the food was of an acceptable standard. I had breakfast the following morning which was fine apart from the staff wreaking of tobacco after obviously nipping out for a smoke. Check out was fine apart from the account not balancing. As everything was pre booked and paid it should have balanced but this was quickly adjusted by the reception staff. All in all it was an average experience but not unpleasant.

1  Thank allyboy

Dear Aly boy,

Thanks for your review, there are a few useful pointers on here for my restauarnt manager to attend to, and rest assured we will work on these training issues ASAP.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed at the Mercure for one night on a business trip to Swansea.
I chose the hotel for its convenient location relative to the office I was visiting on the Enterprise Zone and the plentiful on-site car parking. The price was very competitive too!
On arrival I had a friendly welcome from the receptionist and was quickly booked in and directed to my room but getting there was a long walk along a rather dark and somewhat drab corridor and this proved to be the same with my room. Although well maintained and clean it is badly in need of updating,, preferably with lighter, brighter colours.
The biggest disappointment though was the buffet breakfast - this definitely could be improved and compares poorly against similar arrangements in other hotels I visit.
All in all, I would rate the hotel as average - not bad but not especially good either - and would probably get breakfast elsewhere if I visit again.

Dear Dai,

Thanks for your kind review,

We have recently updated our breakfast offering and presentation after veiwng all of our competitors brekfasts, with the aim of beating what they are offering. Next time your staying give it a try, and if you still have any observations/ comments as to how we could im,prove, please give me a shout, and happy to discuss.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel could do with some money being spent on it. Decor is outdated and the beds are awful (you can feel every spring). Pool is nice and warm and the staff are friendly and courteous. I was given an upgrade by the lovely receptionist, after finding my bath had not been cleaned and had 'intimate hair' in it. This hotel has the potential to be great, as the location is in the middle of an enterprise zone and is also right next to a large lake, with swans, geese and ducks etc and has some great walking trails. Unfortunately the standard price of the rooms are not competitive with other hotels of a better standard in Swansea. Mercure need to invest some money on this hotel, starting with replacing the mattresses!

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear Claire,

Thanks for your kind review.

We contstantly (daily) price check against oither full service hotels to ensure we are competitive in the market place so not sure what specifics there were to your stay that made it out of sync with better hotels in the area price wise.

We do have a rolling programme of bed replacements, and I have asked our housekleeper to move the room you stayed in to the next phase of 20 beds comiong in March.

Thanks for your comments, it is only with such honest feedback that we can endeavour to improve.