“Good but not great”

Ranked #137 of 677 Restaurants in Swansea
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: AUTHENTIC ITALIAN CUISINE Our recently refurbished Swansea based restaurant is modern, warm and inviting. A lovely venue with a relaxed vibe, perfect for lunch, dinner or to celebrate that special occasion. Genuine Italian recipes and ingredients, combined with fresh local produce. Our team of friendly, well trained and knowledgeable waiters look forward to welcoming you. AN EXPERIENCED TEAM Restaurant owners Camelia, Alvaro and Emilio have been working together in the restaurant industry since 2001.
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My wife loved the look of this restaurant and as visiting Swansea this weekend and being keen Italian fare fans decided on lunch at mama Mia. We were a bit annoyed at how little our waiter could understand. We don't expect fluency but when staff cannot get an order right surely you have to question what their role is?
The food was very average but might have been more bare able if the service was better.
Lacking in atmosphere. Could have been so much more rather disappointing!

1  Thank Alf877

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Visited Mama Mia's with a friend.
I am a vegetarian and generally I can always find something very flavoursome at Italian restaurants so was not concerned about what I ordered. But unfortunately the meal was flavourless and overall quite boring; I had to smother the dish in black pepper just to add a bit of flavour. There was also hardly any vegetables on the plate. My friends meal was also just adequate and nothing special.
The waiter couldn't give us any insight into the menu as he could not speak a word of English and couldn't even speak to his fellow waiters as they were Itallian and he was Turkish. So after trying to order a draght beer we ended up with Coke because its the only thing that he knew what to say.
As the title suggests it was nice but won't be going back in a hurry which is a real shame as I don't particularly like going to 'chain' restaurants but will go to Ask Restaurant around the corner over this one any day.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have visited Mamma Mia's several times before, but haven't eaten here for a while. I fancied visiting on Bank holiday Sunday. We were shown to a table straight away. It wasn't busy, but there plenty of people there. We were given a menu, it's a lovely menu, with plenty of choice. So much in fact, we had difficulty choosing what to have. Eventually I picked lasagna and my hubby had pollo mamma Mia, which is chicken in white wine and creme fraiche with rosemary potatoes.

We didn't have to wait long. The lasagna was lovely, there was plenty of it. My husbands meal looked lovely and tasted really good. The saute potatoes were nice and crispy and the chicken was beautiful.

I had pannacotta with a fruit compote. Mmmmm. Coffee then to finish.

The service is really good. Very friendly and not too expensive. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place.

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Over priced food, our pasta was under done and the salad was tasteless. The staff took a long time when it was not busy- and didn't appear interested in us, they also didn't appear to know their own menu. The atmosphere was also bad because of some drunk shouting women a few tables down

1  Thank Crishowells
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Have been here on a number of occasions which is why we decided to go this evening. On arriving the chefs were milling around looking for work. Upon the waiters clearing our starters our main course arrived. This was much too quick. From sitting down at 7:30 and spending the next 10mins studying the menu we had our starters and main meal by 8:10! As a result of being rushed neither of us enjoyed our meal. The manager, after seeing that half our food was still left on plates asked if all was ok. We informed him that the food would have been fine except that courses were too close together. He insisted that this was the nature of his restaurant and that people liked quick service and we should have informed them that we wanted a break between courses. We have never had the need to specify this before in other restaurants or indeed on our last visit to mamma Mia. We asked for the bill and the manager insisted that we only pay for drinks which we didn't expect. We would go again but would make sure we specified that we wanted a break between courses.