Review Highlights
Excellent – A Must for Dylan Fans

Advise visitors not to turn up at the house and expect it to be open. Beforehand visit the Dylan... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
Richard H
Getting to know Dylan Thomas

We entered a sort of treasure hunt which began at his home in Uplands Swansea.It was really... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
heather1948
Swansea, United Kingdom

All reviews cwmdonkin drive his life early life knowledgeable guide small bedroom house tour fascinating visit boyhood home on spec sitting room under milk wood nice cream tea national treasure wonderful tour step back in time interesting experience ask questions
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Out of all the things I knew about Dylan Thomas was blown away this house is truly amazing and I loved my time there. I'd like to thank Annie for such a great insight into his life as where as his birthplace, I'd like to thank Annie for such a great insight and bring such a lovely lady

2  Thank Ellis E
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I would fully recommend this to any fan of Dylan Thomas. The owner of the house (who has poured her heart and soul into the renovation) was passionate, informative and so friendly I felt like I wanted to stay for tea. We were enthralled by the fascinating history and insightful stories, the quotes written in secret places and artefacts hidden in drawers to be discovered. My nearly five year old was given history lessons at his level and thrown on a bed to see if he bounced! We were there for over an hour and could have easily stayed for longer to listen to the stories and explore the places in which Dylan Thomas wrote, practised speaking and warmed up when the rest of the house was too cold. I came away wonderfully satisfied, with a fistful of bookmarks for my year 4 class and an invitation to return with them. Beautifully done.

2  Thank TLCandR
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I first visited Dylan's Birthplace the better part of a year ago and have returned a number of times since to continue my journey of knowledge through Dylan's life.

When you visit you must arrange to have a tour with Annie Hayden. She is the life and soul of Dylan's birthplace! She'll greet you with a cuppa or tell you to make yourself at home and show you where the kettle is.

The house is filled with history and my favourite thing about it is that you don't walk through and listen to some boring tape, but you are free to rome around on your own and explore different part of the house. Annie has done an amazing job in restoring the house as close as possible to how it was when Dylan lived there.

I'd like to thank Annie for all of the knowledge and hospitality she provides on every visit, no matter who I take up there, and if you haven't been, it's a must see! A true jewel of Swansea.

3  Thank Pearleen S
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This was the highlight of my trip and really the biggest reason I came to Swansea. The tour is only £4 for students and is so great. The lady who runs the house is responsible for renovating it and keeping it in business and she is very, very friendly, funny, informative, and knowledgeable. She even serves you tea and coffee at the start of the tour!

The tour isn't as much about Thomas in his adult years or even his work, but more about him as a boy growing up and where his work comes from. Even if you've never read Dylan Thomas, it is a very interesting tour. I brought a friend along who had never even heard of him and she immediately bought one of his books to read. Such a great experience, well worth the money and only a 20 minute walk from the city centre.

3  Thank katorresuci
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I visited this beautifully restored 1914 house last Sunday morning. You are greeted with a cup of tea and a chat from the engaging host Annie. It's a great way to start and get to know your fellow tourists... In my case a couple of charming students from California. The house is amazing. I primarily went to see the house and get a sense of what a house of this era might look like restored - and I wasn't disappointed. I also learnt loads about Dylan Thomas.... Which was a bonus. If you are in Swansea - you must visit! For a fiver this has to be one of the best value attractions in the country.

3  Thank christinebayliss1