“Lunchtime meal”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Used a Groupon voucher for a two course meal for two at lunchtime this week. The restaurant area was not very busy when we arrived but more people did come in. Think they were all using their Groupon vouchers!! I chose a starter, the pate, and a main course (chicken), my husband decided to have a main course (battered fish) and dessert (Italian bread and butter pudding). All were good size portions, in fact my husband had some of the pate with me, and I ended up having a few spoonfuls of dessert as he couldn't eat it all. Service was prompt and friendly.

Only disappointment for my husband was that they did not have any cask ales on. Although an open fire had been lit, it was not particularly warm.

Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Travelled a long way to try out this lovely country pub I was told of. Wish I hadn't bothered. Old and dated and not in a homely country pub kind of way. We sat underneath the speaker where the radio statins were between two channels and all you could hear was interference and crackling which was unbelievably annoying! The front door was sporadically slamming due to the bad weather which was also annoying. Food arrived, lovely big portion of fish however the chips were undercooked and literally had a teaspoon of peas. Safe to say I was really disappointed and wouldn't recommend or visit again.

1  Thank natalie j
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Went as a party of four. Chose starters - brie wedges and pate, and mains - lamb cutlets, vegetable tart, cannelloni, pork chop with apple and sage grave. All very good. Should have been a good range of real ales but no Tribute nor Doom Bar on the night. Abbots ale was fine. Staff very pleasant and attentive, the pub was quite intimate and attractive and a very pleasant experience overall.
Will go back when we are next on the Gower.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

My friends, my wife and I have been visiting this Inn for almost three decades; had some great times there, and some good food over the years. I've seen it change hands many times over the years as well, and different owners have had different ideas 'about the pub'. Nowadays, one side of the pub has been set aside as a 'restaurant' only, and it's filled with tables and chairs. The pub is in a really nice location, and it has a lot of character but is looking somewhat shabby now. And the restaurant has more the feel of a B&B breakfast lounge rather than a pub restaurant.

Visited today (party of four) and had lunch. My wife and I had homemade lasagne, chips and garlic bread, and our friends had scampi, one with chips, one with boiled potatoes. The Scampi meals both came with peas and lemon pieces. The lasagne meals with garlic bread and a salad garnish. These meals were ordered off the table menus and not from the daily specials blackboard.

Although our friends said their food was 'okay' they also said it wasn't anything to write home about; just a very basic offering. Their meals were £8.95 each. The cost of the beer was of course on top of that, and their total bill came to £21.75 which included half a lager and a pint of John Smiths.

My partner and I had the lasagne. We thought it came with chips and garlic bread but it only came with garlic bread. We therefore ordered 2 portions of chips to go with our meal as well. There was no price for side orders anywhere on the menu so we were unaware of the price of the chips when we ordered.

The lasagne was definitely homemade, and was okay. However, it was quite dry, and lacked sauce. It wasn't too bad though. The garlic bread consisted of 2 slices each, from a small baguette we'd say, which was surprising. There was also a small (but nice) undressed salad garnish - made up of chives, cherry tomatoes, cress, and lettuce. The whole lot was served in an oversized bowl and the chips arrived in separate bowls. Disappointingly the chips were not home made (frozen I'd say), but they were at least hot and crispy and not too dry inside. Both my wife and I ate all of our food, and thought the food was 'okay'. However, we didn't think the price was particulalry that great, considering the quality and type of grub on offer.

The lasagne meals were £8.95 each and we both had a pint of John Smiths as well. But we also found out when we paid that for the two side portions of frozen chips it had actually cost us 10p shy of £6. I did ask the chap whether it was right, and he confirmed the price. Our totally bill therefore was a few pence short of £30. In this neck of the woods £30 for lasagne and chips and a bit of garlic bread and a pint isn't especially good value, especially given the average quality of the food.

I will probably give the Poundffald a wide birth as far as the food goes in future. There are equally as good pubs in the area serving much better food, and you'll pay a bit less than we did today. I'm comparing like for like here, so not being unfair in any way. For example, we ate out at a pub only 1.5 miles from the Poundffald tjust three days ago, and paid a total of £21.95 for 2 meals and 2 drinks. The food was cooked to perfection as well, and consisted of stuffed chicken breast, onion rings, mixed peppers and onions, chips, and a whopping portion of cheesy garlic bread and the price included a pint of beer as well. For comparison, that was a 9/10 experience, this was a 3.5 to 4/10 experience.

If the food was much better quailty then I'd not blink at £30 for two pub meals and a drink nowadays. But you have to make an effort for that money, and this wasn't up to muster.

Just a note, if you do decide to eat here, I'd advise leaving via the front entrance and not the rear exit after your meal, as the exit is also the way out to the toilets which is pretty obvious when you open the door to leave as you can smell that they are there straight away. The small door has an 'Exit' sign and a 'Toilet' sign on it, but I think if they removed the exit sign from the door and steered customers towards the main entrance it wouldn't leave such a negative impression as you leave; you don't really want to get a waft of the bogs just after you've eaten a meal!

4  Thank Si B
mackie44uk, Owner at Poundffald Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for your review. I would like to respond to a few of your comments, firstly we never use frozen chips. I admit that they are not hand cut but are fresh chilled chips purchased from our vegetable supplier.
The main point I would like to clarify is the smell you thought came from our toilets. I am not sure how familiar you are with Three Crosses but part of he village has a history of intermittent sewerage smells going back thirty years. We have reported this to both Welsh Water and Swansea City Council on a number of occasions and in fact representatives from these visited the pub on Friday as part of their investigations. We are informed that the problem is further down the line and is being fully investigated.
Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We always try and make the theme dinners at the Poundffald as they are such good value, interesting and different. You also get to meet new people as it is a very sociable event. We love the fact that you never have to choose between the choices on offer for starters and puddings as you get a taste of all of them. The only one you have to decide on is the main meal and that's usually difficult as they all sound so good. We normally go for two different dishes and then share! The German theme was excellent as usual and where posssible they use local produce. The cheese soup was fantastic and my sardines were great. Can't wait for next month as its a Welsh themed evening so for sure we'll be tasting the best of local produce.
Three courses for less than £20!!