“Don't judge this book by it's cover...”

The Smugglers Haunt
Ranked #72 of 643 Restaurants in Swansea
Cuisines: British, Welsh, Pizza, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Open from Easter to the end of September Specialising in fresh food. Steaks, pizza, locally caught fish. Desserts to die for. Local seasonal produce. All dishes are home made and freshly cooked.
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
“Don't judge this book by it's cover...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

From the outside The Smugglers Haunt looks very uninviting and on previous trips to Port Eynon I have refused to eat there as I imagined it to be shabby and lacking in atmosphere; I preferred chips and beans on the sea front from the chippy!

Anyway, this time hub and I were spending the weekend with the in-laws who spend a lot of time in Gower and eat at The Smugglers a lot and they wanted to take us. So I checked the menu online and there was nothing vegan, so I rang up and asked. I spoke to the chef who said she would sort me out something for the night and I made the booking for the four of us.

When we arrived I was still dubious based on the outwards appearance of the place, but once we went inside I realised how judgmental I had been - it was lovely, cosy, really quaint and welcoming and not at all shabby or lacking in atmosphere! It was busy and there was a pleasant buzz in the air. We were seated in a well lit corner and upon telling the waitress about my phone call to the chef I was given my own personal vegan menu...and let me tell you, I was over the moon!! There was CHOICE - two starters, two main courses and two puddings. I never get a choice!!

As it was, the choosing the starter was a no brainer - white onion and apple soup (this was gorgeous and if it's not already a regular soup of the day it should be, plus the herby bread roll it came with was the most gorgeous bread I've eaten in a long time) - and the main course were a choice between risotto or gnocchi and I honestly couldn't decide as they both sounded so yummy. I had to toss a coin and ordered the risotto. It was divine. Well presented. filling and mouthwateringly tasty. I was more than a little impressed. I had no room for pudding, but if I had it would have been the rhubarb sorbet.

The rest of the family also had soup to start (mushroom and garlic) and then different main courses, hub and my father-in-law had different pizzas which they both loved and my mother-in-law had pork which she really enjoyed. All the food was well presented, perfectly cooked and very satisfying - and the service was excellent.

I will be sure to eat here next time I am in Gower (sadly it's only open April-September) and my previous judgement on the outward appearance has taught me a lesson! I'll be sure to ring up and book so that I can arrange my own personal menu as well - I was really chuffed that they went to such an effort for me, and that such care seemed to have been taken over the choices.

Thank you The Smugglers Haunt.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank winter-st*r

Newport, United Kingdom
“Oh dear...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Went here on our first night, and after reading the good reviews expected great things... Ordered the Pork Belly, and what arrived was completely inedible... It was a rubbery mess, and clearly had been cooked far too quickly... We sent it back, and to be fair were not charged for it... The staff were clearly embarassed, so perhaps we were just unlucky. We drank up, and went to the chip shop around the corner instead.

Visited August 2012
UK
“Unknown Gem on The Gower”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

At first sight not a gastronomic "haunt" of delight, but venture in for a really great welcome, fine food and great service. Having read the reviews and being on a short break in the Gower, we ventured to Port Eynon, to The Smugglers haunt. Varied menu, excellent pizzas - great for kids and families and if you don't want a full meal. But their main menus are to die for. Great quality food, Michelin star presentation, portion size enough to satisfy hunger but not to feel bloated. The staff are excellent very welcoming and get the service right. Would go again.

• Visited August 2012
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
“Perfection in a restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

I have visited the Smugglers Haunt on a number of occasions during several visits to the stunning Gower peninsula and have been lucky enough to sample a number of dishes on the extensive menu.
The portion sizes are fantastic, and the prices are extremely reasonable for the amount of food provided. It is more expensive than McDonalds, but you wouldn't get a rib eye steak of that quality for a lot more in many restaurants. The staff are young and friendly and make you feel welcome. The wait is never excessive - understandably a little longer when they are very busy - but the food when it arrives is worth a wait of twice as long than it ever is. The belly pork was tender and the pizzas are the best I have ever eaten. The desserts are all works of art and worthy of Masterchef finals!
All in all, highly recommended! I only wish there were 6 stars to rate on Trip Advisor, and would urge anyone to visit if you get the chance!

• Visited August 2012
Watford, United Kingdom
“Serendipity”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

What a pleasant surprise to find this excellent restaurant in such a tiny, out of the way place, and on our wedding anniversary. Service was friendly, speedy and accurate, and the food was superb and not over priced. Good wine too! It was so good we readily came back for a second meal the night after.

• Visited July 2012