Tripadvisor

Blaina Wharf
Ranked #6 of 46 Quick Bites in Newport
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: At the Blaina Wharf we operate a carvery 7 days a week as well as a full main menu, something for everyone, especially those with a sweet tooth who will enjoy something from our dessert cabinet! We're located just south of the city centre on the banks on the River Usk in an area of extensive redevelopment. With Newport retail park, the City Centre and the busy southern distributor road all in close proximity we are well located with ease of access and plenty of free parking for our patrons. We welcome guests of all ages and cater especially for the younger guests with an indoor and outdoor play area and an excellent children's menu. We serve an excellent variety of drinks ranging from premium lagers such as Peroni and our ever changing cask ale collection. Dining al fresco in our outside area in the good weather or enjoying our free WI-FI when it's not so nice, we really are a year round venue.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Went to another pub but they weren't serving food so came here as a regular. A bit disappointed in the service as only one serving he did a good job had to wait ages for our meal but it was very good

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (1,051)

Reviewed January 6, 2020

Our party of ten arrived at 3 pm for a 3.15 pm reservation. As we walked in it was a shambles and when asking about our reservation, no-one seemed to know what was going on. We were previously told there was a table plan and we were asked to wait. At 3.15, the table we had booked was still in full swing of having Christmas dinner. We were told another table would be available and we should wait a little longer. Then we saw two other groups arrive and be seated at the table being made ready for us. I asked to speak to the manager and waited for a further 5 minutes for Mr. Tom Grey to come to the Public area and explain that the party sitting at our table had arrived 45 minutes late ....My comment was we also had a Christmas and birthday to celebrate. We were asked to wait further until a table could be found. This was unacceptable and at 4pm when the table was ready we asked for a refund and left...Never to return. We were offered no compensation, though members of the staff did apologise. Mr Grey, was conspicuous by his absence and left his staff to pick up the pieces of his shambolic management and lack of supervision.

Date of visit: December 2019
3  Thank WJPPayne
Reviewed January 3, 2020 via mobile

Visited Friday lunch not even busy
Had to wait over 30minutes for a starter of onion rings came and they were like warm at tops.
I had the carvery and the turkey was dry and the beef fatty and chewy
My partner had a burger that was very undercooked
Finally deserts .. the apple was just a mess on a plate burnt edges and just slopped on a plate .
As a chef I know all about presentation and key timings
Very disappointed Very poor today and hopefully they sort this mess out .....

Reviewed January 2, 2020 via mobile

Sunday lunch catch up with a friend.

I hadn't been here for years probably just after it opened.
Definitely an improvement on my last visit.

The carvery was very good meat was very good and the selection of vegetables excellent.

We were very full but decided to share the carrot cake - a wise decision!
It was very nice!

Staff were very helpful and friendly

Reviewed December 28, 2019

Went here fore Christmas lunch after we were too late to book last year paid £50 per person and when we arrived our table wasn’t ready(not a problem we could see it was manic and understaffed) we were told table 7 was available to save us waiting so we thought this was great a lovely table in the window but... there was no chairs so we patiently waited for around 10 minutes as we were back and forth to the bar getting the drinks in we were then brought 2 chairs from outside in the garden we asked why we had these and weren’t happy as I had tights on that the chair would scag I went to the bar and said I wasn’t happy and they gave us our 4 drinks for free but still with no apology but we accepted but then we went back to the table to find the other 2 chairs hadn’t arrived I asked 3 different members of staff who I know were clearly busy and still nothing happened finally when the chairs arrived they were covered in bird poo and full of green algae, when the waiter come over I said it’s not really acceptable when we had paid so much to be there and he replied “I’m giving up My own Christmas Day to be here can’t you se I’m busy” I was in absolute shock I asked him to pass on my message to the managers and left it there as I was furious and didn’t want to ruin the day, we finally got our starters but we had to move our empty plates to the floor(again not a problem we knew they were busy) after our main plates were left on the table for around 40 minutes I asked a waitress for our deserts and she said they will be 25 minutes when the flavourless cheesecake finally arrived we didn’t even have the energy to mention how foul it was so we got up and went. Also not one person even said merry Christmas a little tip would be don’t charge for a service you can’t provide!

Date of visit: December 2019