“A lot to learn”

Forum Spa at Celtic Manor
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I visited in August 2011 - and submitted a brief review. I have been thinking of giving it another chance - but after reading some of the recent reviews - there are still far too many negative comments regarding the quality of customer service and organisation/cleanliness of the spa. My daughter and I have since visited Ragdale Hall - the staff here could teach the Celtic Manor staff about customer service - and also some 4* hotels with spas which were much better organised with friendly and helpful staff. If I was on the management team of the Celtic Manor I would be worried about the (on the whole) poor feedback.After all,this is supposed to be a 5* hotel. As I wrote in my earlier review, I had submitted my comments on the feedback form before leaving and also completed the emailed feedback form. I didn't receive a response from the Celtic Manor. Do they really care about their customers??

2  Thank cymru21153
in 6 reviews
"relaxing experience"
"skin feeling"
in 3 reviews
"included in our package"
"these issues"
"birthday treat"
"afternoon tea"
"main area"

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Booked a Me Time Tea-time visit for myself and a girlfriend who has just taken early retirement. Just a week after I had booked, after an unexpected ultrasound, I was told I almost definitely had cancer. Reeling from the shock, I got my husband to phone Celtic Manor and ask if we could cancel or re-arrange the visit, which was just six days later. The young woman on the phone said that was impossible, it had to be at least seven days' notice. My husband re-explained the shocking news we had that afternoon but she ust repeated the company policy. After saying it was not his best day, he gave up.

On the following Thursday, I decided to go to the Manor as over £70 would have been wasted. I was so glad I went as we had a lovely afternoon. The pool, jacuzzi, steam room etc. etc. were lovely and we used everything. Then up to the Olive Tree Restaurant where we had a stunning afternoon tea and were treated like royalty. The staff were superb and the tea was first-class. I had read on Trip Advisor that you can't have a doggy bag, so I hid a small box in my handbag and took away a few cakes as my appetite was already severely affected.

So a very mixed review - a lovely afternoon but feel there was a huge lack of training with this young woman - surely she should have referred my husband to a superior in the circumstances? It just seemed so dreadfully hard-hearted.

I have now had my CT scan and am waiting for the diagnosis and the prognosis. I have promised myself a return visit for the Me Time, Tea Time after some hoped-for treatment, but trust the management take notice of my comments in connection with staff training.

2  Thank BristolTookie
Reviewed April 8, 2013

we went during half term with kids has some lunch then done childens crazy gplf and zip wires we had a fabulous day and a great lunch

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My experience of dealing with the Celtic Manor can only be described as a catalogue of failings. I made 2 separate group bookings for spa packages at the Forum Spa to be taken in January 2013. Both were special occasions and I was hopeful that the Celtic Manor, being a supposedly reputable resort, would come up trumps.

I couldn’t have been more wrong. Dealing with the reservations team in respect of the first booking (made several months in advance) was a saga from beginning to end. I was quoted different prices by different agents and ended up being charged £20 extra for an admin error made by them! Every single call made to them resulted in me being put on hold several times giving the distinct impression they were making up prices & terms and conditions as they went along.

We were less than impressed with the spa day itself. The staff at the spa were pleasant and attentive but many things were amiss. The toilets in the ladies changing area had no toilet paper and the stench of urine emanating from the out of order cubicle quite literally made our eyes water. It was like that all day.

As it was a special occasion we’d arranged for a bottle of Prosecco to be waiting at our table when we went for lunch. It wasn’t there when we arrived & after a great deal of waiting and prompting staff, one of our party ended up going to collect it. We were a party of 5 and she was given 3 glasses and told the other 2 would follow shortly. They didn’t. After a further 15 mins of waiting and yet more prompting, they finally appeared. Totally ridiculous for a 5* resort and also not ideal when we had to keep an eye on the clock as treatments were scheduled for the post lunch slot.

The second booking (also made several months in advance) was all set to go ahead when I received a ‘courtesy call’ 7 days beforehand to advise me that the pool and poolside facilities (sauna, etc) would be closed for refurbishment. There was no apology, it was just casually slipped into the conversation. I voiced my dissatisfaction as this visit was also a special occasion and the short notice was not really acceptable. I was told no discount could be offered but we could come and swim free of charge on a separate occasion (bearing in mind we’re making a 100 mile round trip, no thanks!).
The Celtic Manor take payment in full upon booking and have a cancellation period of 7 days prior to your visit. If you cancel any time after that, you stand to lose the full amount. I received this phonecall at 6.15pm exactly 7 days prior to our planned trip! I was told by one agent that they would waiver the 7 day policy on this occasion as I was keen to speak to other members of the party and possibly make alternative arrangements. Within the hour the Marine Spa in St David’s Hotel in Cardiff Bay had saved our bacon and I called the Celtic Manor to confirm the cancellation, only to speak to another agent who told me a refund was not actually possible and our only option would be to change to an alternative date. Understandably, I went ballistic and after being put on hold a few more times they agreed to refund the full amount to my credit card.

Whilst having problems with the first reservation I did actually complain to the Celtic Manor directly via email. The response I received was dismissive and some comments only went to show that they hadn’t even read it properly.

They did us a favour in the end as St David’s Hotel did us proud. If I never set foot in the Celtic Manor again it’ll be too soon.

4  Thank Rodders_K
See more reviews
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I bought a spa day for my husband for Xmas. All was fine when we arrived, we were shown around and all seemed good. Then the water aerobics started with the loudest music ever, not good for a relaxing spa day. There is only a sauna by the pool, so if you want to go into steam room you have to go into your own changing area, which is fine if you are with a bunch of girls but not ideal if you go as a couple. The lunch was very disappointing, you have to go up in the lift, in your robe, to a higher floor to a private dining room, then share a table with other people as there were no tables for 2 people. For lunch there was jacket potatoes, wraps, chicken and lots of salad, but no mayonnaise, salad dressing or butter for the bread or potatoes, you have to ask for these, if you can actually find someone to ask. There was some fresh fruit salad for pudding but no cake or nice puddings. They obviously think everyone that is on a spa day is on a diet!!
We both had massages booked in the afternoon and went to the relaxation room to wait for our treatement. The relaxation area is the worst i have ever been in, although it looked nice, it was bitterly cold and very noisy. It needs to be a completely seperate room from the reception area, as this would cut down on the noise and keep some warmth in. All the people in there were wrapped up in the blankets, that are on the beds, to keep warm. Our hot stones massage was very good, but we did not bother to go back into the relaxation room after our treatment as it was just too cold in there. After a massage i would normally stay in a relaxation room for a least half an hour. Thankfully I only paid £59 each for this day,which was worth it just for the massage, but i will not be returning for another spa day, would rather pay a bit more and go somewhere better

2  Thank bethsdad